Sort of O/T Dick Cheney has heart transplant surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, there most likely is not a person here who does not want for Andrew to receive a heart tonight.... right now!!!!

But my point was, do we have any way to know if the heart that went to Dick Cheney could have gone to Andrew or another young person like him? Don't organs have to match blood type and whatever other markers that matter. It is all beyond my limited knowledge of such things.

But to say Dick Cheney denied 'an' Andrew their heart is a stretch IMO

NOT that I am necessarily a fan of Dick Cheney,,,,, or not a fan. To me, that isn't relevant in this conversation.

There cannot possibly be any decent person who does not have all hopes for all who are awaiting life saving organs to not get them sooner rather than later.
I hope I have expressed myself clearly. Seems I sometimes fail to do that.

You put this subject into proper perspective. If you can look at it reasonably and without regard to your personal opinion of Dick Cheney or his deservedness of a transplant, then why is it so hard for others?

Prayers and best wishes for Andrew!

Valve replacement is bad enough but I can honestly think of nothing scarier than a transplant.

When I read your post, my mind went back to when I questioned my doctors whether I would be a candidate for a transplant and how much more complex that would be. Their reply to me was, "actually a transplant would be easier than trying to extract your mechanical mitral valve covered with scar tissue!" I was stunned!

That said, however, I would not even be considered for a transplant because I have suffered from PH and if you have any damage to your lungs, a heart transplant is OUT!

When I read your post, my mind went back to when I questioned my doctors whether I would be a candidate for a transplant and how much more complex that would be. Their reply to me was, "actually a transplant would be easier than trying to extract your mechanical mitral valve covered with scar tissue!" I was stunned!

That said, however, I would not even be considered for a transplant because I have suffered from PH and if you have any damage to your lungs, a heart transplant is OUT!

Note: Unless of course you have both, heart and lung transplant, and who the heck is ready to undertake that!!!

It's not out of the question that he paid for his own transplant, but let's be real..that's most likely not the case.

You're probably right but really...... why should he pay anymore than me or you?
He met all terms to qualify for Medicare just like the rest of us tax payers. He paid what he owed into the system and now he has every right to collect from that system. He didn't design it especially for himself. It is the law for the land and he is a citizen in good standing.
Do we know what charitable contributions he could have made that benefit needy people every day? Do we know the terms of his will? Perhaps he has designated funds to build a new heart center? I'm only speculating but many of these hugely wealthy people donate so many billions of dollars quietly with no fanfare and we often never learn of it.

I dislilke I'm coming off as his big defender as he doesn't need me or anyone else to speak for him and I'm not to be assumed to be his fan.

However, in my mind, I am substituting any 71 year old, taxpaying, wealthy citizen and gauge my thoughts about Cheney the same as I would about anyone that meets the same criteria.

You're probably right but really...... why should he pay anymore than me or you?
He met all terms to qualify for Medicare just like the rest of us tax payers. He paid what he owed into the system and now he has every right to collect from that system. He didn't design it especially for himself. It is the law for the land and he is a citizen in good standing.
Do we know what charitable contributions he could have made that benefit needy people every day? Do we know the terms of his will? Perhaps he has designated funds to build a new heart center? I'm only speculating but many of these hugely wealthy people donate so many billions of dollars quietly with no fanfare and we often never learn of it.

I dislilke I'm coming off as his big defender as he doesn't need me or anyone else to speak for him and I'm not to be assumed to be his fan.

However, in my mind, I am substituting any 71 year old, taxpaying, wealthy citizen and gauge my thoughts about Cheney the same as I would about anyone that meets the same criteria.

Nancy Pelosi would fit your criteria. She's 71, wealthy and presumably pays taxes.

Not sure if anyone has looked up any articles on this, but he was on the waiting list for 21 months prior to his transplant. Longer than the national average 12 - 18 months. According to the article, it was important to him that he not receive any special treatment.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2...p-doing-great?test=latestnews?test=latestnews

The former Vice President did not receive any kind of preferential treatment in terms of receiving a heart - according to Dr. Reiner. In fact, he notes Mr. Cheney waited "almost 21 months", whereas the average is 12 to 18 months. Dr. Reiner says Mr. Cheney never asked for special treatment, and " felt it was important that he wait his turn."

The article also states that his heart has been assisted by a battery powered pump since July of 2010. Certainly fits the 21 month claimed wait.

Nancy Pelosi would fit your criteria. She's 71, wealthy and presumably pays taxes.

Your point is what?

That she would be less worthy than me or you to receive a life saving organ?

I don't understand your question, truthfully.
The only point that is possible is politics and it doesn't belong in this conversation IMO
To remove any hint of doubt, she would be equally eligible IMO to receive a life saving transplant in the identical circumstances. She would be just as worthy to have Medicare pay for it. IMO

Your point is what?

That she would be less worthy than me or you to receive a life saving organ?

I don't understand your question, truthfully.
The only point that is possible is politics and it doesn't belong in this conversation IMO
To remove any hint of doubt, she would be equally eligible IMO to receive a life saving transplant in the identical circumstances. She would be just as worthy to have Medicare pay for it. IMO

I didn't ask a question. I stated that Nancy Pelosi met the same criteria you had mentioned. You said, "However in my mind, I am substituting any 71 year old, taxpaying, wealthy citizen . . . ." I used former Speaker Pelosi as suitable for substituting.
I will mention now that I feel your question, "Your point is what?" was confrontational. Did you mean for it to be? If so, why? I stated a fact; I actually helped you make your point, I believe. No hidden agenda on my part, and I resent the implication that there was.

Okay, finished.
If I have not made my point, I never will.
I have no interest in arguing with anyone.

jkm7,

I think you have made your point, and it makes sense to me, and I assume many others. I think Duffey agreed with you and was trying to help your point.

Perhaps the worthiness of the recipient is actually less important than what transpired to make this transplant possible. Somewhere, a family has lost a loved one, and it's the generosity of the unknown donor that likely merits more attention. Around 3,000 people are on the waiting list for a heart in the US today, and the annual transplant rate is usually only around 2,000. So, there are many who wait. Compare that to the annual death rate in the US, around 2 1/2 million, and the numbers begin to paint a picture of just how special and uncommon donors really are or have been. There is some good news, though: there are more than 100 million people in the US currently signed up to be a donor. So, hopefully, over time the supply and demand for heart transplants will shift, and make allocation priority no longer an issue.

Also, an interesting stat: survival rates for those with heart transplant at 5 years (74.9%) are actually better than those with lung, liver, or kidney transplants.

I will mention now that I feel your question, "Your point is what?" was confrontational. Did you mean for it to be? If so, why? I stated a fact; I actually helped you make your point, I believe. No hidden agenda on my part, and I resent the implication that there was.

Well, I kind of had to wonder the same thing about what your point was. I didn't find the question confrontational, but just asking for more info, which is kind of the point of questions. Good grief, no need for anyone to get their undies in a bundie.

Perhaps the worthiness of the recipient is actually less important than what transpired to make this transplant possible. Somewhere, a family has lost a loved one, and it's the generosity of the unknown donor that likely merits more attention. Around 3,000 people are on the waiting list for a heart in the US today, and the annual transplant rate is usually only around 2,000. So, there are many who wait. Compare that to the annual death rate in the US, around 2 1/2 million, and the numbers begin to paint a picture of just how special and uncommon donors really are or have been. There is some good news, though: there are more than 100 million people in the US currently signed up to be a donor. So, hopefully, over time the supply and demand for heart transplants will shift, and make allocation priority no longer an issue.

How many here have marked their driver's license to be an organ donor?
If you have chosen to make your organs available in the event of your sad passing, does your family know your wishes? Would you agree to donate a loved ones organs?

It is a wonderful thing to know that people's lives are being saved through heart transplants. He will be a different person afterward, nobody faces their own mortality without it affecting their priorities in life.

For anyone who dragged politics into this post...including the original poster...shame on you. That's not what this site is about. If you absolutely had to bring politics into it you should have posted it in small talk. You are discussing whether a man deserves a heart transplant based on his political beliefs? Really? My aunt just died and they were considering a lung transplant except she had other serious health complications and her condition was advanced so they decided against it. She was 78.

This site is about valve replacement and issues related to valve replacement, not whether you think a former VP deserved a heart transplant because of his age or his political beliefs.

Hank this thread should never have been allowed to stay in the Heart Talk Forum. Who's watching the place now...anyone???

Latest posts

Back