Something you wished you would, should, or could have stopped before your AVR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the girl whom you are talking of....she posted quite a bit.

Where did she go? Her last post was in 2008.....What happened with her father, anyone know?

I found the girl whom you are talking of....she posted quite a bit.

Where did she go? Her last post was in 2008.....What happened with her father, anyone know?

She still pops in from time to time, in fact she was just on here a couple of weeks ago. Her dad did just fine.

I didnt find anything about smoking in her thread. I found where her dad had a stroke and was trying to fight the odds and stuff. Unless I missed a post somewhere in the 4 pages.

You will quit smoking when you enter the hospital, and you won't be able to smoke again until you are discharged, perhaps five days later. They will be giving you good drugs after surgery. It seems an opportunity too good to pass up. The sharpest part of the cravings from the nicotine addiction will be gone when you leave the hospital. You would have to make a conscious decision to start smoking again. Why bring on yourself that constant craving again, that constant smell of smoke on the clothes and on the breath? Again, from an ex-smoker who fully understands.

Valerie,
Back to your original question. I wish I had quit my Coke habit. I'm not a coffee fan so I get my caffeine from Coca-Cola. Giving it up or at least reducing my daily intake prior to surgery could have prevented the whopper caffeine withdrawal headache I had.

I also wish I had started a daily walking habit. It would have been easier to get back into daily walking than trying to build a new habit when I felt "not so good."

I love your questions - keep asking!

(I'm interpreting this thread to be inclusive of any valve surgery.)

I wish I had started a daily exercise program before my MVR. However, my condition was such that I couldn't tolerate walking very far.

For many people, OHS is a life-defining event. Sometimes they change their eating habits, quit smoking (see below) or exercise programs.
Re: smoking
Having OHS is an excellent time to make a commitment to stop -- and stick to it.
That's not just to help prevent any continued risks of lung cancer or COPD or repeated bouts of bronchitis, but also to prevent continued assaults on the circulatory system that put a smoker at a greater risk of coronary events.

For anyone wanting to make a change to improve their lifestyle & health: Attaboy! (or Attagirl!)

Oh my other thing will probally be wanting to give up as much caffiene as well like you Faye.

I counted last month alone and I had drank 48 can dr peppers...Whew that is alot!

I have been trying to drink some more water here lately, but whew that is hard too.

Maybe no will power is a weakness of mine!

Latest posts

Back