Something you wished you would, should, or could have stopped before your AVR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's hard to give up smoking but I have a hard time fathoming someone submitting to OHS to cure their heart problems and then continuing to smoke. I hope you don't take this personally as I mean it as a general statement...... To go through OHS and smoke takes my breath away, just about literally.

Some of the top surgeons in our area are not taking smokers as patients anymore. Some insist patient be smoke free for certain length of time pre surgery.

Besides.... Whew, it sure has gotten expensive to smoke at least in our state. My DH was in local news shop the other day buying a newspaper. Fellow in line ahead of him bought a pack of cigarettes and it cost $8.80. Whoa...... that alone should provide the incentive to quit.

Best wishes with your surgery and recovery.

I don't want to sound like a 'full of myself' jerk but truly, I was eating a healthy diet, was a good weight, exercised regularly and taking my meds as prescribed when I had my valve replaced. I have gained a little weight since and am working on losing it.

Oh my other thing will probally be wanting to give up as much caffiene as well like you Faye.

I counted last month alone and I had drank 48 can dr peppers...Whew that is alot!

Have you ever had a "Dublin" Dr Pepper? The bottling plant in Dublin, Texas (about 70-90 miles SW of Fort Worth) uses the old recipe -- with cane sugar rather than corn syrup or frutose.
It's the Dr Pepper I remember from growing up in Dallas, which is or was Dr Pepper's headquarters.
The pure-sugar soft drinks are making a comeback. I've been buying the "Dublin" Dr Peppers for 15-20 years as extra special treats. Several friends are addicted to them, and I will pick up a couple of cartons of bottles to take to cat shows. It sure tastes good iced down.

That's probably something I should have kicked in my pre-op days!!!!! :D

Have you ever had a "Dublin" Dr Pepper? The bottling plant in Dublin, Texas (about 70-90 miles SW of Fort Worth) uses the old recipe -- with cane sugar rather than corn syrup or frutose.
It's the Dr Pepper I remember from growing up in Dallas, which is or was Dr Pepper's headquarters.
The pure-sugar soft drinks are making a comeback. I've been buying the "Dublin" Dr Peppers for 15-20 years as extra special treats. Several friends are addicted to them, and I will pick up a couple of cartons of bottles to take to cat shows. It sure tastes good iced down.

That's probably something I should have kicked in my pre-op days!!!!! :D

We actually have a place up in Gatlinburg, TN near the Smokey Mountains that have them. A man from Germany came over in the 1970's and opened the Pancake Pantry. They make these to die for silver dollar pancakes and they give you whipped butter....awww. And there dr. pepper is the old recipe ones. They are awesome. When I was pregnant we traveled up there once a month cause I wanted both pancakes and dr. peppers so bad.

Okay we all have something that we should have...could have....would have stopped before our AVR replacement..(ie: smoking, eating fatty foods, taking medications regularly, exercise)

So what is yours?
Did you stop on your own or cause the doctors told you?
Do you still sneak this?

Happy to say, none of the above. :)
Had quick smoking cold turkey 28 years early and it wasn't on advice from a doctor. Also started dieting and daily exercise, also not on advice from a doctor. Diagnosed with valve disease 5 years later.

Been drinking diet coke ever since it came out in the early 80's. Love it!

Wish I had not...joined this forum ??!! Where reading about post op recoveryand vent tubes makes me even more chicken.... Joking,there is more here to inspire really than terrify. Trouble is, for most of us we either eat too much, drink too much or for some have a puff, or may be recreational drugs? That is the thing in life... we pick up bad habits. For me , I wish I could exercise with better regularity, it is all a bit grab that walk/bike when u can rather than set, but then I like spontaniety, so there we go. Good luck with packing in the puffs..Vhmoriarity..for me I think I need to rid myself of green and blacks organic mini chocs...mmm!

None here.. I was 17 & 20 when I had my surgeries and wasn't a smoker then and not a smoker now.. But, I will say I drink caffeine and energy drinks which I know some people monitor, but I have such a low B/P if I didn't have caffeine from time to time I would go crazy!

Latest posts

Back