So shellfish !?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because the lobster guys dive naked and face those very large pinchers head on. It's a true fight for survival. :D

Thanks Ross.. That's been bugging me. Naked hey... I can see that would bump the price up.

In all honesty, I have no real idea why the pricing is the way it is. I realize the harvest sizes haven't been the best, but it's really really expensive here.

If there are more harvested in Canada than Maine surely that wouldn't effect the price ?
The same species and same size and same sea but one is much cheaper than the other !? Somebody must know ?

How come you can get the same medicine from a Canadian pharmacy at 30-40% of what it costs in the US?

Ohhhh... SO it's not exclusively the shellfish then .... interesting.

So if I come to Canada what's to stop me buying a truck load of drugs (legal ones) and selling them in America ? 30-40% leaves room for a healthy margin ?

Actually the unofficial ruling is that the US government cannot prevent people here from ordering prescription meds from Canadian pharmacies. However, a prescription is still needed so that would be the issue with the truckload idea.

Many people do order from Canada. You can fax or scan and email prescriptions. I have a friend who uses an asthma medicine that costs $231 here and $61 from Canada.

The vast majority of people here have insurance that makes the cost much less. Usually the asthma medicine I am talking about costs around $30 for those who have insurance. However, my friend has an insurance policy with a very high deductible so he would have to pay the full retail price here.

Maine lobster was a bargain last year - for everyone but the Maine lobstermen. They couldn't make enough off their catch to stay in the water. The price may go up this year just because of the number of lobster boats that are no longer out there.

There may also be different catch limitations in Canadian waters (size or numbers), or differences in how they can be trapped.

Best wishes,

Thanks Bob.

I still dosn't expain why Maine Lobster is always more expensive, because surely its exactly the same ?? They may well have different quotas, minimum size landed etc but do they taste different ? Surely that can be the only thing that would make them more expensive ?
If one oil field can only produce 100 gallons a day and another can produce 10,000, it's still the same price at the pump because it's exactly the same thing ? The smaller oil field might find it harder to be competitive, just like your Maine fisherman but it dosn't make it a better product ?

I was in the Bahamas, and noticed someone holding a coffee can type thing overboard. It was a tube with a glass bottom, and when they noticed a conk or lobster they would dive overboard & surface a minute later with fresh seafood.

My guess is because of the Union labor.

I know people who live south of me who drive across the border for meds, but I'm not that brave. People are getting shot down there.

The lobster issues might be due to US restrictions. The US has restrictions on quantity and sizes of lobsters gathered. Perhaps the Canadian rules are less strict enabling more lobsters per boat run. More lobsters, higher profit, lower price. Just a guess, tho.

it's because canadian lobster is socialized, whereas maine lobsters are on an
hmo plan where the big processing companies can deny you butter and bibs
if the meal is not pre-approved or is consumed at an out-of-plan restaurant.

Latest posts

Back