So I just had my surgery...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMFT

Hey guys, Newbie here!

I wanted to introduce myself and let you all know what I've recently had done. First off, My name is Aaron and I'm 26 years old. I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve that I knew would need replacing at some point in my life. The fun part was recently finding out that I had an ascending Aortic Aneurysm as well.

I went from seeing a heart doc every 6 months for monitoring to missing 2-3 days of work every week for appointments. The next thing I knew I was admitted on Monday the 9th to Centennial Hospital in Nashville and told my surgery would be the following Thursday (12th).

I had my Aortic Valve replaced using a Medtronics mechanical valve and my ascending Aorta was replaced with a Dacron graft. I spent just 4 days in the hospital after my surgery and am now recovering at home.

I have a ton of questions as I am experiencing some strange stuff that makes me uneasy. Not to mention I haven't been able to speak to my surgeon in detail about my surgery so I still have a lot of unknowns.

One thing I've noticed is that upon exertion I get flashes of light in my eyes that correlate to my heart rate, I feel like this is abnormal but I'm unsure. Also I can't identify the procedure that was used to perform my surgery just based on my scars as I have 2 where I was expecting one. My main scar is a lot smaller than I expected and the one near my right shoulder is unexplainable.

If anyone has some input or has similar scars I would love to know more!!

Thanks for reading and take care!

P.S. Thank god for pain meds....

8i8tfAu.jpg

Hi, Aaron, if you are going to find answers, this is the place. Five years ago, I only needed the aortic valve replacement so I can't answer some of your questions. Looking at your incision, I will say that it is about an inch shorter than my own so you are right on there. I can only imagine that the incision below your right collar bone has something to do with the location of the damaged portion of your aorta. I assume the bandage below your chest incision covers the small incision for the drains and pacing wires. I had four of those in just that spot. I feel certain that someone with more experience will be along to give you more information about the one on the upper right.

With respect to your experience while straining, you are completely normal. Your heart is recovering from the trauma of surgery and will be a little weaker for awhile as it recovers. When you strain, you compress the left ventricle which reduces or stops blood flow to your brain so you see flashing lights. I have wondered why I wasn't warned of this at discharge. I had exactly the same thing happen because of the constipation I experienced after getting home. I wish someone had stressed to me the imperative to start a stool softener and laxative immediately. The surgical drugs and all left me with such severe constipation that one night I considered going to the emergency room. My regular doctor had me start taking 2 teaspoons of Miralax with 2 teaspoons of Benefiber mixed in a glass of water every morning. Neither of these have much taste and go down easily. There are other products that I found helpful including Senokot. Each of these are available over the counter.

So, Aaron, welcome to VR.

Larry

Delighted to hear that you are safely post-op and in recovery mode.:)

It can be disconcerting when all sorts of unusual or unexpected things seems to be happening. Lights flashing etc. You are not alone. I have that and know other have too.

I expect that doing many searches of the forum is not a priority for you , but if there is anything in particular you want to know, ask away or do a specific search of this site. Great info and shared experiences,although each person has their own unique story.

That being said,I encourage you to make contact with your medical team as they are the best to answer any questions about YOU!

Overall advice that most frequently offered regarding recovery by members here including but not limited to:

Rest, breathe, walk/activity level as medically directed, keep on top of pain management,keep nourished and hydrated, keep your bowels (sorry to be blunt) happy and regular like Mentu suggested. Don't overdo when you feeling better and think you can do more than you should.

I am just over 4 weeks post op and 24 years older than you and doing just fine. I have compared this to a marathon, not a race.

Best wishes as you move forward :)

Helen

Thanks for the responses Larry and Helen! I'm so happy to have found this invaluable resource to connect with those who have experienced the same thing I have!

Hey Aaron,

I have the same flashes of light. At nearly six weeks post op now, and I see them a lot less. I only have one scar, but have heard others here have two, exactly like yours. Your scars look great, by the way.

This is a great community here. Whatever questions you have, I'm sure someone here has experienced the same and can comment.

Keep us posted on your progress.

I was told by my surgeon that my Medtronics valve was one of the quietest on the market but it still has a great deal of sound coming from it from time to time. In your guys experience what variables contribute to a valve being more audibe at times?

Hi Aaron,

Your main scar looks like it is the length of mine which is so called "minimally invasive", see photos of mine here at a week and later at nearly six months: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?42982-My-incision-scar . I would guess, like Larry says, that the top scar is to do with your aortic graft.

The flashes of light - I started to get visual disturbances a few days after surgery and still get them at nearly six months. I get silver blobs of light crossing my vision, migraine auras without headache which are zigzagging patterns of light circling in my vision, and sometimes double vision. From what I understand this is a side effect of the heart lung machine, though I have not had that confirmed by my cardiologist. I found a report on this on the net which I posted on the forum, can't find it now. I am going to speak to my GP and cardiologist about the visual disturbances. In the hospital at one week the doc there said it was due to tiny air bubbles…..but they wouldn't be there after months. I know several other people here have these kind of visual disturbances. Always worth telling the docs.

I see in the sigs that Larry, Anne, and Helen all went with bovine valves.

What was the main reason for your guy's bio valve choices over mechanical valves? I wasn't given an option being 26 they explained that I could plan on operations every 10 years if I didn't go mechanical so it only seemed logical.

Also, did any of you get a second implant card for some type of sternum closure system? Apparently I have Sternalock Blu titanium plates, but after looking at them online it appaears as though they started clinical trials in February of 2013 and are quite new. Do any of you have these same things and were to told of any advantages/disadvantages?

Last edited:
Not able to go on anticoagulants, at this point in time so bio-prosethic valve only option. Next time mechanical might be option. Would rather than having to do it 3rd/4th time but if necessary , so be it.

I have appointment with surgeon today so I hope to get a copy of post op report etc. I received a card for valve only.

Helen

The scar near your right shoulder is one of the places where the heart bypass machine was hooked up to you. I have the same scar. During bypass, the machine is hooked into your plumbing in two places. Since you were having surgery on your ascending aorta, the location in front of your shoulder allowed the surgeon to more easily work on the aorta.

I see in the sigs that Larry, Anne, and Helen all went with bovine valves.

What was the main reason for your guy's bio valve choices over mechanical valves?
I didn't want to go on anticoagulants due to other health problems, and I didn't want the clicking noise as my hearing is super sensitive. I'm also not as young as you Aaron ! I just got a card for my valve, my sternum is secured with wires - seen them on x-ray.

So do these tiny air bubbles effect your vision because they're causing damage to your brain? I've gotten migraines with aura since I was around 12. Usually I would get 1-3 a year but since my diagnosis in March, and being prescribed beta blockers, I've had 9 of them. Originally I assumed it was down to stress but as the blockers hav my blood pressure down from my usual 129/80 and my pulse which is usually in the high 50's down to 50 and even lower occasionally I'm beginning to wonder if the decresed blood pressure and flow are part of the problem. Oh by the way I was told I have a mildly leaking bicuspid valve and an ascending aneurysm- no stenosis. I've always had a blank spot in my right eye which has never been an issue as my left eye fills in the blank. This news about the machine causing vision issues has me concerned because if I had vision loss in my left eye I wouldn't be able to do my job, drive etc.. As an optimist I'm hoping fixing or replacing the leaking valve and replacing the aneurysm with a properly sized graft would improve my blood flow and possibly reduce or eliminate the migraines. As my blood pressure is normally great once I'm all healed up I'd like to get off the beta blocker also.

I would guess the visual problems are related to the brain. I just found the link I was looking for about visual disturbances following open heart surgery: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090813142455.htm

I used to get migraines with aura about 15 years ago for a few years, but it wasn't till heart surgery in January that I started getting the auras again, plus the silver sparkles and now double vision occasionally. It's not incapacitating me but is weird.

I didn't like being on beta blockers one bit, and they can cause visual disturbances, in fact when I was on them following surgery I had thought that the visual problems were due to them but they have carried on afterwards, I've been off the beta blockers since early April.

Your scars look great, not too big either. Most of us have the one down the middle and a couple others for tubes.

I have a mechanical as well for the same reason as you, although I had mine done when I was 55.

I agree, Thank God for Pain meds :) Good luck.

Thanks for the link, hope I'm not hijacking this thread but as visual issues were mentioned I think it's in the same realm. I meant 120/80, I don't like the beta blocker either, they make me feel 'blah' .My BP was 115/75 at my cardiologist but she said that doesn't mean it's always good out in tge real world and since I have an aneurysm of 4.8 cm I'm good with being on the safe side but when she implied she liked patients with BAV to stay on for life due to their' tendency' to get aneurysms. When I told her the surgeon said he would not only replace the aneurysm with a graft but he would also replace any tissue that looks likely to get an aneurysm so the odds of getting another one in the future are "extremely small" she said " well it depends what he sees in there " If I was prescribed a beta blocker for the aneurysm and it's gone and my resting BP is 115/75 then I don't see the need to be on it for life.
I would guess the visual problems are related to the brain. I just found the link I was looking for about visual disturbances following open heart surgery: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090813142455.htm

I used to get migraines with aura about 15 years ago for a few years, but it wasn't till heart surgery in January that I started getting the auras again, plus the silver sparkles and now double vision occasionally. It's not incapacitating me but is weird.

I didn't like being on beta blockers one bit, and they can cause visual disturbances, in fact when I was on them following surgery I had thought that the visual problems were due to them but they have carried on afterwards, I've been off the beta blockers since early April.

Cldlhd with an aneurysm at 4.8 you should be in surgery soon right? Mine was a 4.3 and they decided to go ahead and do it. I've heard it has something to do with the equation (πx4.8)/height in cm. If this is >10 they consider an aneurysm smaller than 5 at risk for rupture.

Guyswell I was told that by the charge nurse at the hospital so that makes sense. I do have a scar on my groin as well.

Paleogirl I had the same concern when it came to the sound but it becomes unnoticeable fairly quickly. I also opted for the quiter of the mechanical valves available.

I don't know if I'm supposed to pick the glue off but I started to anyway....I think it looks like its healed for the most part??

30HpD7t.jpg

Latest posts

Back