So I just had my surgery...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be patient and just go along with the schedule ... have you ever had any other bone breaks or stuff? If you haven't then I guess this is your first experience with how you recover.

My first hospitalization was due to shortness of breath caused by my anuerysm and my only surgery was open heart. Other than my heart I'm ridiculously healthy, I can't wait to get back to normal. I want to be a police officer and this surgery interrupted my training and my tryout. I'm hoping I can be better than ever by this time next year.

Hi

... and my only surgery was open heart.

I was sort of meaning other injuries ... like I have had a head on on my bicycle when a car turned in front of me (broken ankle, wrist, couple of ribs...), I was about 19 then. But my first surgery was 9 years old ... I have only the most unclear memories of that.

Other than my heart I'm ridiculously healthy, I can't wait to get back to normal. I want to be a police officer and this surgery interrupted my training and my tryout. I'm hoping I can be better than ever by this time next year.

excellent. Just keep a pace to recovery. Small steps forwards, no steps backwards is my view.

You'll be fine :)

I was sort of meaning other injuries

Nope no broken bones or any significant injury other than having some kid throw a huge railroad rock at my car while I was driving and getting lucky enough to be just about knocked out by it. Recovery from that was cake though. I don't think it helps that I'm so impatient.

... generally however I'd say that within a year this will be a distant memory within 3 years you'll barely think about it (except to take your warfarin) and by 10 years you'll be comfortable with it all ... then you'll still have 40 more years of living to do ...
Thanks, I really needed to read that today.
Your sternum problem looks like it's resolved.

I want to be a police officer and this surgery interrupted my training and my tryout. I'm hoping I can be better than ever by this time next year.
So, they won't discriminate against you because you have a mechanical valve. That's wonderful news and confirmation that life goes on. Police away, to your heart's content :)

I have a new concern. I've started having pain in my side and shortness of breath. It hurts only if I take a deep breath and my heart feels like its going to beat out of my chest. I'm concerned it could be fluid buildup.....has anyone experienced a fluid buildup? Am I being paranoid??

I had similar pain that was caused by the combination of fluid in my lung and the fact that my lung took a longer-than-usual time to "re-inflate" after surgery. (You did know that they collapse your lungs during surgery to get more room to work, didn't you?)

I would most definitely discuss this with your cardio or surgeon, sooner rather than later. In my case, they prescribed ibuprofen (same as over-the-counter, but take higher dosage) for a few days and it resolved. If it doesn't respond to medication, there are minor surgical procedures that they perform to drain the fluid.

First step is to talk with doc, and probably be examined. They can assess the cause and determine treatment plan. But don't ignore it unless your doc says to do so. (And even then, keep track of it in case it doesn't resolve soon.)

I would most definitely discuss this with your cardio or surgeon, sooner rather than later.

I spoke with them today and they said at three weeks out of surgery fluid is a minor concern and said it was most likely inflammation. The recommended I take the Naproxen I had but I'm almost out of it. They recommend that I purchase some Aleve as it's essentially the same thing.

Thanks for your guidance!

Back