Smoking

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mtkayak said:
I do recommend the new drug Chantix. It seems to be working this time around. My cravings are less and less and no real stress associated with it. It's a nicotine free drug as well. Although you do need a prescription. I'm almost 2 weeks although I did slip up on New Years Eve :( But I never had a craving the next day.

Thanks for the tip on chantix, i have heard a bit about this and it sounds really good. It would help alot if i didn't get so moody:mad: . I am going to speak to my doctor next week but i beleive it is not that easy to get in the uk. O and good luck, keep up the good job quiting.

Go visit the cardio ward of your local hospital at night. At some point it catches up to you. When I stayed in the cardio ward a couple of times this year I could always tell who the smokers were because they had the most terrible coughs I had ever heard. They were hackin and gaggin trying to get a breath. I knew they had to be misserable. You don't have to end up that way.

rachel_howell said:
Maybe you would be better off on Zyban (Wellbutrin). It was originally marketed as an antidepressant before it was an anti-nicotine drug. It is available generically as buproprion.
Would it then be hard to get off of the Zyban?....I don't know, just a thought.

I took Zyban for about 9 weeks. At first, it was a great help. It got me through some of the tough times. But somewhere around the 7th, or 8th week, I started getting very troublesome symptoms. Nightmares were vivid, terrible, and so upsetting. The characters in my dreams made Freddie Krueger look the easter bunny.

My next-door neighbor had an altogether experience with the drug. He especially liked it because it did not interfere with his "love life." He didn't have bad dreams or other concerns. But, getting off the gum was very hard for him. Sadly, he went back to smoking after about a year.

I stopped smoking on June 21, 2005. I had my last cigarette in the parking lot of the Mayo Clinic Hospital, where I was to have an oophorectomy (removal of ovaries.) Still, after all that time, I still want to smoke from time to time. When that happens, I say my mantra aloud. "I will never stop smoking again, I will never stop smoking again..." That lets me know that just one puff will result in my being a smoker again. And, I do not want that.

One of the main things that helped me was cinnamon. Our dentist recommended it and it sure worked for me. I used cinnamon gum and cinnamon hard candies. I know that cinnamon does affect the INR in some people, but it takes a whole lot more than the gum and candy one might ingest in a day. So, if you choose to use cinnamon, keep be mindful that it could affect your INR. I was not on anticoagulation when I stopped.

I am really pulling for you. Best wishes,

Blanche

Latest posts

Back