Smokers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't panic, pellicle. . . If I read this thread correctly, Ovie implied that he bought that pack some time ago but just last night finished it. I hope he isn't back to a pack a day already.

Ovie - did I read you correctly?

I do what Mom2izzy does. I play pool every wednesday and I bum a cig or two from a friend. Every so often I buy him a pack in exchange.

I quit when I was told I had to have surgery. I've had 3 operations in the past, and knew rehab from major anesthesia is always a bitch for a smoker. However, if I was told I had 3 months to live...I'd start smoking again. For us smokers, it's a great thing.

Before that I did what a radio phsych suggested. If you can't quit, cut down by making rules about smoking. For example, only smoke with friends, don't ever smoke in the car or house, etc.. Measure out your cigarettes so you enjoy them more. For example, if you smoke a pack a day, this is about 1.5 cigarettes an hour. Cut back to 1 per hour, and if you miss an hour, don't make it up. After you get used to the lower smoking rate, cut it to 1 cigarette every 2 hours and so on. Sounds like you're already doing this now. Just make some real rules (e.g. two cigarettes a day) and stick to them. You'll be healthier, save money and still get to have a smoke.

I let myself buy a pack, but I can only smoke two and have to throw it away. I've done that twice this year in times of bad stress.

My company has done studies on smoking cessation. Cigarettes are less physically addictive than caffiene. It's all in the "head."

I agree 100% with what yotphix said (reply #12). Quitting IS quite do-able and after the first 3-5 days it is considerably easier.

My own brief story is that I smoked for 37 years and finally got round to quitting 3 years ago. I had an annoying cough and was short of breath. After I quit the cough cleared up within 2 days, the breathlessness didn't. THAT was when I discovered my mitral valve was on its way out! My smoking had totally masked this problem.

15 months after my last cig I had my valve replacement. I think it was all much easier for me being smoke free - no problems with the surgery and no painful coughing.

I'm never, ever going back to smoking. I've been given a new lease of life with my new valve, something which I am so grateful for. I feel it would be just so incredibly stupid to compromise my new found healthy feeling by poisoning myself again!

Good luck to the OP with giving up - I urge you to choose freedom and a sense of well being. I truly believe that these benefits will do more to help you cope with life than cigs ever will.

Latest posts

Back