Smokers.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ovie

I've been debating doing this thread, but my anxiety has been out the roof and would love some input.

I've been a smoker for almost 9 years. At the start of the year I stopped cold turkey. I made it 16 days cig free before than buying a pack. Had been fighting with family, things weren't being put in place for my surgery, things were just bad and I tried to justify it and gave in. After that pack I stopped for a week, than would bum a couple here and there. Have yet to buy another pack, and I'll go a few days (4-5) without one than have a couple. Since the start of the year I've probably had the equivalent of 3 packs, which if I try to shine light on it, I was going through 4-5 packs a week. So its better than what I had been doing, but still am not happy with myself.

I'm 25, last couple years I've let my weight slip a little, so I'm a little more overweight than I should be (6' 225) My lungs have taken a beating. I've always had a great immune system which is a plus, im not exaggerating when I've only been really that sick 3-4 in my life. I know I'm young, but I feel like my body has taken a beating with my poor decisions when I was younger till now.

So what I'm trying to get at is, am I in for something not so great? Should I be even more worried than I am now? I know I've read on here that some people had smoked, but ended up quitting years before surgery. Did anyone here or you know have an AVR and still smoke up to close to there surgery?

I'm trying to put my mind at ease, and I know there's no way to sugar coat the situation, so I'm expecting everything and anything.

Thank you for any insight ahead if time, I could really use it right now, even if it's tough love.

Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I have ever done, and it took many tries. I smoked before and after surgery but have been smoke and nicotine replacement products (gums, patches etc.) for over a year. I smoked a cigarette walking up to the hospital doors ...

I had to be on the respirator longer due to smoking and I feel that it made my recovery a bit longer. Not minimizing your condition but I would give anything to have quit at 25. I put my body through the ringer for many years in many ways and came out the other side with a few chronic conditions that I would not have had if I had taken better care of myself.

The weight you can get off. The doctors would much rather have an overweight person on the table than a smoker. I do understand and I don’t judge you, anybody that has quit or tried understands. And I suspect we have more closet smokers here that we might think.

Good luck!!!

Ovie, sorry you have even more stress than many others, it IS good youve cut way down on your smokig, that can only help during surgery and your recovery.
I was wonderring have you gotten things straightened out as far as where you will be recovering? Hopefully once that is in place it will take more stress off you and help you with cutting back/not smoking even more. You have alot going on, especially for someone your age. Hopefully it helps to know people do care

I'm trying to put my mind at ease, and I know there's no way to sugar coat the situation, so I'm expecting everything and anything.

Thank you for any insight ahead if time, I could really use it right now, even if it's tough love.

Quit. You are using your pre-OHS condition as an excuse and you will use your POST-OHS condition also as an excuse to keep on smoking. I also smoked as a teen but had given it up several years before my surgery. I stayed "quit" until I had my stroke and the "poor me's" got to me and I picked up the habit again. I finally put smoking down, hopefull for good, after a dentist told me that the roof of my mouth was "pre-cancerous" and I decided it would be better to die of something besides my mouth and throat rotting away......is that tuff luv enough?....I sure hope so. There is absolutely no upside to smoking.

In know it is easier said than done but YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING with the smokes weight and sedintary lifestyle ....you may want to seek professional help to handle the stress and not internalize as much VENT let it out and take care of your self

Hi Ovie,
I had AVR last April and I smoked up untill a week and a half before surgery. I had started to have some shortness of breath (thought it was asthma) went to the doctor and he gave me a puffer, a week later it was worse went to emerg (it was Sunday) and on the ride there was my last smoke, I was admitted and had surgery 1 1/2 weeks or so later. I had a lot of help quitting at the hospital, (patches, gum, and the little inhaler). I'm not going to sugar coat it, quitting sucks! Get all the help you can cause with all the stress in your life right now you are going to struggle doing it alone. Here in Canada the health care costs related to smokers has promted the government to implement a program to get all the help we need to quit. Good Luck and Good Health!!

When I had my surgery, there was a man in the next room who had stopped smoking a few days before his operation. I never saw him, but I heard him. He had a really rotten cough, and I felt for him. He was also young, in his early twenties. I'm sure he was fine in the end, but he was in a lot more discomfort than most other patients.

As a non smoker, I found post op coughing a bit of a non event. Your recovery will be so much easier if you stop smoking.

I had a smoke the morning before going into the hospital. My next one wasn't until about three weeks after surgery. Six years later I quit for the last time, so far. That was four years ago. I learned these things, which are meaningful for me: (1) Every smoker quits, either now by their own choice, or when put into the casket. (2) I really hate the constant craving for another cig -- I'm so glad that is gone. (3) I really hate smelling like I've been burning leaves and standing in the smoke. There's a lot available to help you quit, and don't hesitate to ask for that help, but the biggest factor is your own personal decision to quit.

You know you have to quit and there is no thinking otherwise.
I know some top surgeons who refuse to operate on smokers until they are smoke free a certain amount of time.

The WORST thing you can do is not be totally honest with our surgeon, anesthesiologist and everyone who asks if you smoke. They are not doing so as an idle question but because they know they need to plan for steps they may need to take to keep you safe.

Your immediate post op might (or might not) be a little more difficult as smokers do seem to have more lung/coughing problems trying to get the fluids out of their lungs.

Of course, the less you smoke the better but the best is to stop now. Every single day you can make yourself smoke free prior to your surgery absolutely makes a difference. A week smoke free is significant to your surgeon and anesthesiologist.

For a man your height to be twenty pounds overweight is not a major issue. That won't make much difference.

Good luck and yes......

I, too, have been concerned about you and hope you have settled where you will go from the hospital to continue your recovery. I so sincerely hope you have been able to make arrangements with which you are comfortable.

Ovie..... I'm not trying to be hard on you. I know you have plenty of stress being pre -op but am trying to help in my usual blunt style. I don't mean to offend in any way.

Ovie, you should be proud of having cut down as dramatically as you have. Tobacco smoke is amazingly addictive. It took us all much longer to acknowledge that obvious fact (at least officially), than to admit that it causes cancer and other miserable health problems. I hope you can use that accomplishment, and the strength that helped you achieve it, as a springboard to go the rest of the way.

I think I mentioned this before, by my first OHS was inspiration to get my older sister to finally quit smoking. She smoked for years (okay, about as many as a 20 year old can). As you may have heard, you get a breathing exersize machine in recovery called a spirometer. Takes effort to breath in and move the "needle" for lack of a better word.

Pretty much fresh out of CICU, I was able to move the guage farther than my sister could. My hurdle was OHS. Hers was years of smoking.

No lecture though. You already know what you have to do and are taking steps in the right direction. Having never been a smoker, I can't even imagine how hard it is to quit.

I never smoked - when I was much younger, I used to listen to my Dad cough in the mornings and decided nothing could be worse than that. He died much too young at 74 from emphysema.

This wasn't meant to be a lecture - I really wanted to tell my Dad's favorite joke (humor makes anything - even quitting smoking - easier).

"Quitting smoking is the easiest thing I've ever done" (wait several beats) "I've done it a thousand times."

He finally did quit at age 72 when he went on oxygen. I can't imagine how hard it is to quit, but having watched him try a thousand times, I know it isn't easy. I also know your life, your kid's lives and your grandkid's lives will be better for it. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Last edited:
I have been a smoker since I was 14. I was down to one or two cigarrettes a week prior to surgery. After surgery late dec I was great until the pain did go away at four weeks and depression set in. I started again two a day for a few days and than none. I argue with myself about this daily as it the hardest thing I have ever done. I know I can quit and so can you. My husband has also committed to quitting at the end of this month. I no longer allow anyone to smoke in the house or in any vehicle I am in. Be Proud that you have come this far and now go the final distance. It's been a week since I smoked one and I am praying the next Sunday will be two weeks. If you need a partner to help or to just vent to let me know. I u dear stand how hard this is.

Jennifer

You know what you need to do Ovie, and you know that you need to do it sooner than later. What's more, by quitting for sixteen days, you've shown yourself and everybody else that you are much stronger than that little stick of leaves. All of the nicotine was out of your system in 3-5 days. What addiction remained was not physical, but psychological. Do what it takes to find another way to console, and calm yourself, and sooth your nerves. Nothing works better than exercise, and it has the added benefit of improving your health and your mood all on it's own. When you want to smoke, go for a walk, or (if you're able) a run. If the cravings are strong, talk to someone. Preferably a live person who you can see!

It can be tough Ovie, but don't for a moment think that you're not capable of quitting smoking. You know what the benefits will be and I assure you they are worth whatever small discomforts you'll suffer. Interestingly, most people find it easier to beat the chemical part if they were smoking less in the first place, so you've already got a leg up.

Paul

Ovie, you have proved several times already that you can stop smoking. Also, even when you cheated this year you smoked just a little bit. I have to fully agree with everyone in this thread and especially "yotphix".

Addictions suck, and majority of the addiction is psychological. Folks in the AA get sponsors to help them when they have the urge to drink, etc. Find that one person that could be your sponsor and every time you have a craving or feel stressed out, RUN to them or CALL them and lean on them for help. FInd a healthier substitution for this addiction - maybe, get some lollipops or chewing gum. I think even if you were to gain some weight from sweets or foods which substitute smoking you would be better of than if you were to smoke going into the surgery.

Stay strong Ovie.

Well, first and foremost, thank you to those that replied, every single one of you had something to offer me.

I don't want to smoke, but at the same time I do. I'm stuck in limbo, I know damn well that it's the right thing to do, but have always had an addictive attitude, and HATE change, so I'm constantly putting myself in holes to climb out of, most of the time I do well at getting out.

I will say, I'm shocked how many people smoked even walking up to surgery or even picking it up AFTER surgery, to me that isn't an option..it's leading up to surgery that's killing me, and im not even smoking because of anxiety towards my surgery, it's everything else around me, friends, family, every day drama that I face, not "poor me" I have to get surgery, or stressed out because of it.

I've always held myself reliable for my mistakes, or actions I may have done, my word is my bond and I always man up when it comes to telling the truth, I will make it very clear to those involved in my surgery about my smoking history, that is something that will not be avoided, I'm more nervous to tell my cardiologist on the 16 than my surgeon.

As I saw a couple people mentioned, you kind of know what's going on in my life right now. LYN, I still have no place to stay as of yet, I'm going to be asking my cardiologist his opinion on the matter. To all else that know my situation, you know I don't have alot of support from family on this matter, friends are vacant, however I did have one of my best friends growing up reach out to me on the phone today, and it meant the world to me seeing how we hadn't talked in a couple years. But to continue on, I've been trying for months to get organized for the surgery with little support. Fighting with family and being upset with friends just eventually took the life out of me and relapsed. I've been diagnosed with anxiety and extreme panic attacks for almost 12 years, so quitting and than drama is just BRUTAL.

To say the least, I want a different life after surgery, I want to be in good shape, eat healthy, and stay active. I'm inspired but my reality also comes into play and hope that can be changed.

Also I haven't had a smokers cough since probably Jan 5 is the real last time I believe it erupted. So hopefully it continues to stay that way.

I'm sorry if I was all over the place with all of that, I was just trying to acknowledge something from everybody's post, and I'm sure I didn't, but I did read each one and got something from each.

These have calmed my mind a bit, and I appreciate everyone's thoughts and straight forward answers.

I know what I want in life as far as lifestyle and I guess if I want it bad enough I can make it happen.

Really, thank you everyone.

EDIT: At the top, just to clarify, I know that stopping smoking is the right thing to do, not " continue to smoke is the right thing". Difficult typing all that on a phone, my apologies.

Ovie....

You are one fantastic guy. I wish you were near enough, darn it all...... I'd be happy for you to stay with us while you recover.

You are strong as the dickens, straight forward and you have your eye on the prize. You WILL get there because you won't let anything or anybody get in the way of you getting healthy.

GREAT idea to speak with your cardio about your needs post op and surely (s)he can help with viable suggestions. It is likely the hospital can transfer you to a rehab facility for some amount of time after the hospital and that would be fabulous. You'd be watched, gain your strength, have PT..... all good things. You can limit who is permitted to come see you and the 'gatekeeper' on your floor would keep out anyone you don't wish to see.

You have grabbed my heart, Ovie, and I could not wish you success any more strongly than I do.

Thank you for letting us take this journey with you.

Hi Ovie,

I've never been a smoker so cannot relate on that level, although I guess I can say I would find it equally as difficult if someone told me I had to give up my coffee and caffeine. That would NOT be good. I would go insane and Starbucks would go bankrupt. : )

So all I can do is wish you the best of luck and tell you it CAN be done. My mother was told that she had to give up smoking after suffering a (luckily minor) stroke. She went cold turkey after 60 years of fairly heavy smoking and has not had a cigarette since.

So I'll send you some of my mom's extraordinary willpower and my best wishes. Hope all works out well.

Jkm's suggestion for a reference to a rehab hospital after discharge sounds good to me, Ovie. Several of my cardiac-ward "classmates" went that way, when I headed home. (If my DW had her way, I would have gone with them, but that's another story! :) )
Maybe check your insurance, but if the hospital refers you ("prescribes" it), I think it should work. Here in Canada we don't worry about the insurance, and the staff was cooperative.

Thank you for such kind words Jkm, that means alot. I'm hoping my cardiologist has some answers, I can't imagine I'm the first to be put in the situation, even if I was in some sort of rehab facility for a month that'd give me some extra time to figure some things out, I'm confident something will fall into place, I have good insurance so if something like that did happen, under the circumstances is imagine it would cover a short stay somewhere.

I actually live an hour or so from 2 larger cities than here, so maybe they have some place to offer.

Davesmom, 60 years of heavy smoking is insane, and very cool to hear that she isn't smoking anymore. I imagine that was not easy.

Back