Smokers.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ovie,
It sounds like Davesmom's mother had a similar experience to that of my own mother. My mom smoked heavily (about a pack a day) from the early 1940's through about 1977. At age 55, mom had a stroke - not as bad as it could have been, but bad enough to spend some time in the hospital. Mom's doctor gave her two choices. . . " You can either smoke, or live." She quit cold turkey and didn't have another smoke for the rest of her life. (She passed at age 82, unfortunately from a smoking-related cancer.) I guess when the time is right and when the incentive is strong enough, many people can quit successfully. It sounds like you're strong enough to pull this off - all you have to do is find the proper motivator.

Jkm's suggestion for a reference to a rehab hospital after discharge sounds good to me, Ovie. Several of my cardiac-ward "classmates" went that way, when I headed home. (If my DW had her way, I would have gone with them, but that's another story! :) )
Maybe check your insurance, but if the hospital refers you ("prescribes" it), I think it should work. Here in Canada we don't worry about the insurance, and the staff was cooperative.

After my OHS last year at St. Mary's (Mayo) I also went to a rehab facility for awhile. I thought I would stay at least a few weeks, but after just a couple of days I was starting to feel so much better so I checked myself out after six days. I live alone and did not think I could take care of myself for a while after surgery. The first few days I was sure glad I was in rehab and have somebody make my meals, take me for walks, etc. Insurance pays for the stay, just make sure you pick a place that is approved by your insurance. My dr. handled the referral, but I had the place all picked out beforehand.

I too will be going to Mayo, what was the name of the facility you stayed at, and how long we're you allowed to stay? You came into this conversation at a very convenient time, as I still have nowhere set in stone to where I can go after surgery. Any information would be very appreciated. Who was your surgeon if you don't mind my asking?

Hi, Ovie-
Your post really spoke to me, so I had to respond. I've never been a smoker, but I have struggled with food and yoyo dieting in much the same way. It is so hard to stop when it seems to be the thing that comforts you the most. I would imaging smoking is similar.

First, I am proud of you for cutting WAY back. Give yourself credit for that. Any cigarrette you avoid is one less hardship on your body. However, be careful not to justify that you are smoking less so you can continue to smoke occassionally. In my own struggle, I know that after I lose a few lbs and am feeling better, that is when it is most difficult to stick with it and take care of myself.

Everyone is different and you have to find what will motivate you so that not smoking is more important than smoking. Maximizing you heart health and longevity might be that reason. I know the OHS surgery was my wake up call (45 lbs gone since surgery) but it is still a struggle every day not to fall back into old habits or give in to cravings during stressful. If I were 25 I think it would be even harder to stick with it because of thinking youth is on my side. Please be really honest and try not to justify it in your head or to at least recognize when you are justifying. We all want you to live forever with optimal health.

One more tip to try-- see if you can find a substitute for the cigs that works for you. That's what I've been doing with food and it seems to help. If I can't have something, I focus on what I can have instead. Self-denial is very hard to maintain, so be kind to yourself and find a healthier substitute.

Avoid the drama and hang in there!!!

Last edited:
Ovie, it sounds like quitting is stressing you out. I think its defintely better to quit as early as possible, it would help with the chemical changes taking place as a result of surgery. Anything that could cut down even one cough would be a great help.

If you can't quit before surgery, I wouldn't let it stress you out; maybe make sure you have some nicotine patches with you for after surgery. I smoked right up to midnight before my surgery. I was smoking about a pack a day for thirty years. I didn't smoke at all during my stay at the hospital after surgery, although I thought about leaving the hospital for a smoke several times. I also began having two or three smokes a day once leaving the hospital and am now back to about a pack a day.

So I wouldn't let trying to quit stress you out. Having enough patches on hand to get you through the hospital stay should help reduce any craving stress that would occur. Quitting now and forever would be the best but if you can't quit now, I wouldn't worry and get stressed out over it. I don't think smoking made a difference one bit to me, other than the craving for a cigarrette which wasn't really that great either. I guess the patch helped a lot in that respect.

I'd say either decide to quit now and do it, or decide to quit later and don't get stressed out about it now. Getting stressed out over quitting may be worse than smoking really. I worried a little bit because I figured coughing a lot would be an issue and a painful one. But I can't think of one cough occurring after surgery actually.

So either quit or don't just don't worry too much about it until after surgery.

I too will be going to Mayo, what was the name of the facility you stayed at, and how long we're you allowed to stay? You came into this conversation at a very convenient time, as I still have nowhere set in stone to where I can go after surgery. Any information would be very appreciated. Who was your surgeon if you don't mind my asking?

Hi Ovie,
I stayed at a nursing home that had a licensed rehabilitation wing. My insurance would only pay for a stay in a licensed facility, which is different from just regular short term or long term care in a nursing home. I could have stayed up to one month but checked out after 6 days because I felt I was able to do things for myself again. Actually I slept so much better in my own bed (on my side!). The name of the place was Good Samaritan Society Comforcare). I started rehab the day after I arrived, 6 days after OHS/full sternotomy, by walking, using a stationary bike, walking up a few steps, etc.

My surgeon at Mayo was Dr. Suri and I am very happy that I was referred to him. He was able to fix instead of replace my aortic valve. I had a massive aneurysm (60mm) affecting the aortic root and ascending aorta. When I went into the OR I did not know if I was going to wake up with my own valve or a new mechanical one. Needless to say I am very happy that Dr. Suri was able to perform a valve sparing aortic root replacement.

If you have any other questions I might be able to answer for you let me know. Just be assured that you will be in very good hands at the Mayo Clinic.

Latest posts

Back