Slowly coming around after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stilldreamin

Thanks so much for the well wishes while i was climbing the mountain...

I've been in here a few times but have been doing more reading... haven't had enough energy to post yet.

I had my surgery on the 20th... the surgeon started with a repair, but decided it wouldn't hold for many years, and decided to put in the mechanical we discussed. I had decided the On-X was best for me after lots of reading here and research. Dr Chu apparently wasn't happy with the size so rebuilt the aortic root to put in a larger valve. Not clear yet on all the details, so I know I'll have lots of questions when I see him in 5 weeks. My pride is in my very small scar... less than 3 inches....

I would have been out sooner, but my hemoglobin was very low, and on Wednesday they decided it wasn't goin up on it's own and I wasn't doing well so they did a transfusion. I was much better and came home on Thursday. It's been a very interesting couple days at home, but we're adjusting, and my mom has been a big help as well as my daughter. my boyfriend visited this weekend also and has shown that he's going to be a bigger help and support than I expected.

I have lots of questions, especially about pain, but don't know where to start. I'm coming to terms with my ticking chest, but there are times when it bugs me. Sometimes my mind is good and I want to go, but the body just isn't there... I'm surprised at how down it is. Before I left the hospital we had gotten the pain meds figured out (I'm allergic to morphine...) but it seems that some of the doctors and nurses thought I should be fine on nothing stronger than extra strength tylenol, while others understood the pain and discomfort. The discharge nurse was actually quite nasty about it, and I told her to forget about getting me anything, I'd call my family doctor when I got home.... she showed up with a script anyways. Pain has been getting much better and its been easy to cut back, but there are times like this morning when my chest feels like theres an elephant sitting on it....

tired again... but happy to be on this side finally....

thanks again to everyone during everything....

jen

On-X aortic valve replacement
Dr Michael Chu Assistant Professor of Surgery
University Hospital London Ontario

Good to hear from you, Jen, and know you are safely home and on the mend.
Listen to your body and sounds like you'll do fine. Happy you are getting the support and help to ease your way through these early days of recovery.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Congratulations Jen. Glad to see your surgery worked out well. Only a 3 inch scar? That IS something to be proud of. I've got about an 8 incher.

Joe

Welcome home! Try to just rest and eat. I've been home for 2 weeks (surgery was on the 10th) and I still feel like an 80 year old woman! Its easy to be hard on yourself but really listen to your friends and family-they are telling you the truth when it comes to how far you have recovered so far (I know, looking in the mirror doesn't show it!). Pain meds have been a challenge for us-I am now spliting them and taking half late morning (to be moving during the day) and the other half right as I go to bed 9to try to ge at least 6 hours sleep). I am now waking up at 3:30am every morning and just taking a tylenol to go back to sleep.

Welcome home, and to this side of the mountain. Be patient, and listen to your body. Recovery is a matter of time and patience. Typically, your mind will heal faster than your body, and that gets a bit frustrating. It gets better with time. Best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery.

I had my AVR on 10 Dec 08, so I'm very close to where you are now. Those first couple or three weeks are very tough (to me, anyway) and were my darkest times morale wise, as well as just being physically spent. However, the good news is that once past those first few weeks, things get better very quickly. One has to just hang in there one day at a time until suddenly it gets better. Patience is really a virtue in times like this. Hang in there and you're in my prayers and thoughts.

When I got home I remember that I cried....not from happiness, but because I couldn't do anything. I desperately wanted to care for my pets, and look after my own needs. It took a few weeks before I figured out how I could pour a glass of water without dumping it, pry open the door of the clothes dryer with a screwdriver, and use my feet to pick up fallen objects from the floor.
Don't even think about cutting your toenails.....;)
Sometimes it's 2 steps forward and then one step back. Don't let it get to you.
Hang in there, every week will show improvements. :)

Jen it sounds like you were on the sixth floor of LHSC just like me except I had Dr. McKenzie. Excellent surgeon.
I had a bit of problem with pain so I had some Percoset to start and then I was popping Tylenol 3's with codeine like candy but then realized that they caused worse side effects. So I also went on extra strength Tylenol.
You got out really quick so maybe your pains will lessen sooner than normal. I hope so.
All the best on your recovery

Reinhard

I came home on Percocet but it was making me sick. so I took Tylenol XS which actually worked but with Coumadin you can only take 4 a day so I took them am right after breakfast and about 8 at night...Morning were tough. I am almost 6 weeks out now and not on anything and can actually sneeze again. It does get better.

Congratulatiions Jen.

Take lots of rest and plenty of water.

I found that the ticking of my ON-X vanished in about 3 weeks. hope it works out for you too. Sometimes I conentrate to hear it when I'm in the mood for a little music (sounds like someone playing a small finger tamborine)!

See if you can get your ins to help pay for a PT INR home testing unit (link is at the top of the forum), Took some time to get one with all the paper work and approvals involved but well worth the effort.

BAVR with ON-X 27mm and Dacron conduit Dec 19, 2008 Cornell NYP

my doctor gave me a scrip for a week's worth of tramazac at discharge,
but increased to two week's worth on request. wound up only using
four day's worth at first. saving it for 'special' occasions, like long
flights home after surgery.

you'll probably find the pain will soon go away for the most part, although
there will be days when it comes back, like when you've walked too far,
or decided to carry laundry upstairs, or tried to mop the floor, or after
that first attempt at push-ups. after any of these, i usually wake up
around 3 or 4 in the morning with a sore chest that won't let me sleep,
glad i have those extra happy pills.

Latest posts