Skyler needs some prayers...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahsunshine

Skyler was readmitted to the hospital yesterday with an infection from his incision and a fever.

They are concerned enough that they called in a team and he is currently in surgery.

I'll keep posted.... I really hope it's not one of these terrible super-bugs and not in the bone.

Oh dear, no one wanted to hear this.
Of course I'll be sending special vibes in your direction.

What makes you think of the possibility of something being in the bone?

So sorry to hear about this setback, Prayers and healing vibes being sent Skyler's way.

Thanks for your prayers everyone. I'm not usually one to ask, but today I was feeling that it was needed.

I guess Skyler's incision started to ooze pretty seriously this morning on its own. Despite being on antibiotics all night he was feeling pretty lowzy. They got the surgical team together and had to open up the incision and his sternum. The infection was all behind the sternum. Now's to hoping that they got it all, that they are giving him the correct antibiotics (they haven't got the results back from the labs and he's on Vancomycin and another antibiotic), and that they didn't get the infection to spread to the bone while cleaning him out... Tomorrow morning (4am) he gets another test to see if his white blood cell count has come down.

High doses of intravenous antibiotics are worrisome as well since he lost much of his hearing due to huge doses of gentamicin as an infant (he's deaf in one ear and has high frequency hearing loss in the other). I realize that gentamicin is for gram-negative antibiotic as opposed to gram-positive antibiotic and Vancomycin usually doesn't have many side-effects, but he likely has to be on it for 6 weeks - intravenously. Ugh. I was on intravenous antibiotics for 3 days once and that was bad enough.

Anyhow, Skyler was back in the Pediatric ICU, but they are hoping to get him back up to the Pediatric ward sometime tonight or tomorrow. They are saving his room (a luxury single room this time) in the Pediatic ward. I hope this helps him sleep.

I will update tomorrow with more news.

And here's what I found out:
1) While they were in there they added a suture to his ascending aorta graft. Not sure why.
2) I read the history since Saturday in Skyler's binder. Skyler had a fever of 39C (102f) for 2 days. The HealthLink (hospital) called to check up on how Skyler was doing on Saturday, and his mom said he was fine but that he had had a fever for 2 days and that his incision hurt. They told her to get him to the ER immediately. In the ER report, it said that she had given Skyler Ibuprofen to reduce his fever... Now, I know I feel powerless in all this so it accentuates everything, but the release stuff says that if he gets a fever post op to call the nurse/doctor immediately. Why didn't she do that? And why is she giving him ibuprofen? We've discussed this with her many times, yet she doesn't listen! ARGH! This makes me so frustrated.

I'm sorry to hear this. IF it helps at all, Justin went thru this too and had a complete recovery. It was about the same time frame too, he was admitted 9 day post op and had surgery the next morning. If his bone didnt look bad when they had him open hopefully thats a good sign. When they opened Justin they could tell right away some of his bone was infected and had to cut it out.Hopefully they got all the infection and he can get bck to healing and getting on with his life.

Still sounds like Sklyar could use some more prayers, I will be contributing.. sorry to hear little dude had to go back in to surgery.

Brad

Sending prayers for the "little man" Stay strong and continue to be his strongest advocate. What is done is done and now I will pray that his guardian angel comes to sit with him and give him strength and courage.

My prayers are with Skyler and the rest of the family.
I am so sorry that he has to go through this!

Skyler is not happy camper today. His chest hurts, he aches, and they stitched him up instead of gluing him so that it has a chance to drain. He's having a much harder time dealing with this than the surgery, mostly due to the fact he was not prepared for this and we had a long time (12 years?) to prepare him for the surgery.

He's on 3 kinds of industrial strength antibiotics, some of which are the same ones that have caused him to lose his hearing to begin with back when he was 4 months old. He keeps saying that he shouldn't have said anything so he could still be at home and not have had a second surgery. Oh, the mind of a 12yo...

We are waiting for the results of the antibody tests, the ones that will tell us what antibiotics he should be on, but the results haven't come back yet. He's on triple the morphine he was originally on this morning. They say that he MAY be out this weekend.

In better news, he and I managed to figure out how to get him in a reclining chair so that it makes it easier for him to sleep and get up, and most importantly, pee. Getting up from lying down is a HUGE ordeal, so this was a vast improvement.

If something happens different, I'll update.

Thanks for the continued prayers.

Latest posts

Back