Size of replacement valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey EMU good to see you

One problem is that different manufacturers measure/lable their valves differently, meaning it isnt necessarily true that you got a smaller valve the 2nd surgery, I think per lable the Perimount valve of one number has a larger opening than that same "size' of a different manufacturer so it is almost comparing apples to oranges. If you went from a 29 to a 27 from the same manufacturer it would be a smaller valve but since they are different brand, they "MIGHT" actually be te same size...How is that for confusing/ :) which is one of the reasons all manufactureres have ther own sizing tools
here is one of the article discusing it
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24151764

Paleo, As other said i wouldnt worry about it. Yes they take several different size valves to the OR and have a general idea of what size a persons valve is from all te preop testing, Also since the d valves on small children dont worry about needing a valve that would be too small to be available. I'm sure IF you needed a tiny valve from various preeop tests, especially the cath. they would make sure to have a couple valves around that size on hand,

Good Luck. BTW I was kind of surprised to see you in preop when I came back since last I knew the vitamins (maybe k2?)seemed to be helping so much.

Lyn,
Thanks for posting this most informative information. I completely forgot about the different manufacturer's sizes not necessarily measuring the 'same'. It reminds me of when I go shopping for clothes. I always find it interesting that depending on the 'label' I buy, I can go from a size 0 to a 6, although my height and weight are the same! Go figure...

My EF never decreased very much, but my valve was very stenotic, and after putting off surgery for over a year my symptoms became severe and dangerous. Don't go there.

I agree that the valve sizes vary between manufacturers, and also according to valve type. Don't worry about this, your surgeon will decide.

Yes they take several different size valves to the OR and have a general idea of what size a persons valve is from all te preop testing…….
Good Luck. BTW I was kind of surprised to see you in preop when I came back since last I knew the vitamins (maybe k2?)seemed to be helping so much.
What pre-op testing do they do ? I had a CT angiogram a couple of weeks ago. I'm going in for pre-op assessment a week before the op but that's only blood tests, chest x-ray and talk to a nurse from what I can tell.

The vitamin K2 was helping, I was stable for nearly two years and then suddenly :( I'm still taking the K2 as it's first and foremost effects are on bone and I have osteoporosis. It's with coronary calcification that it helps too and I'd thought that maybe that might include valve calcification, but obviously not. My coronary arteries are clean and clear.

What do you think of the k2 in retrospect? Do you feel it made a difference to your valve?
Well for the two years after I started the K2 my pressure gradient stayed pretty stable, from acclerating just before I started it to hardly any change. That could have coincidence of course since it hasn't stayed stable, or maybe it just wasn't enough ? Anyway, I'm happy to take the K2 for my osteoporosis and overall health !

What pre-op testing do they do ? I had a CT angiogram a couple of weeks ago. I'm going in for pre-op assessment a week before the op but that's only blood tests, chest x-ray and talk to a nurse from what I can tell.

The vitamin K2 was helping, I was stable for nearly two years and then suddenly :( I'm still taking the K2 as it's first and foremost effects are on bone and I have osteoporosis. It's with coronary calcification that it helps too and I'd thought that maybe that might include valve calcification, but obviously not. My coronary arteries are clean and clear.

Sorry I missed this. They measure get at least ballpark size from echos and did you are or are going to have a cath? that is a very good way to find out size. some people dont have perop cath but CTscan and MRI also will give them measurements of your valves, not perfectly, but close enough they will have several size valves close to what you will need on hand.

I agree that the K2 will help w/ the other problems you have. They learn more and more jobs the K vitamins have every year it seems and it certainly doesn"t hurt.
I'm glad your arteries are clean, I think I remember that that tends to be the case in many BAV patients, so there IS a silver lining to the whole BAV thing :)
good luck and if you ever need anyone to fly across the ocean to house sit for you let me know I'll start working on my passport :)

are going to have a cath? that is a very good way to find out size. some people dont have perop cath but CTscan and MRI also will give them measurements of your valves, not perfectly, but close enough they will have several size valves close to what you will need on hand………
…...good luck and if you ever need anyone to fly across the ocean to house sit for you let me know I'll start working on my passport :)
They're not doing a cath scan, they just did a CT angiogram. I've got the CD of the CT and the report that goes with it, nowhere is the size of the valve opening mentioned……..

……likewise if you need house sitting over your side, I've never been to the US ;)

All the best Anne, the doctors will find the right valve size. My wife, Asian, also is of small frame. She has calcified BAV- EF also good by high pressure gradient. Three years ago, at age 60, she had AVR - got a St Jude 19mm, smallest size available according to the surgeon.
Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year. Don't worry, piece of cake :)

Not sure if its too late to chime in ;)

With ON-X, for example, there was a rep on site and they had every, and I mean, every single size on site. Also, the surgeon assured me that hospital had another mechanical valve that he likes to work with in stock in every size available and even more than one. In my case he wanted to fit the largest valve he could (there I go, a man who wanted the largest valve available) and with measuring tool he was able to get just the right one that was the perfect snugness of a fit.

GymGuy

Hi
I think that I was 'short-changed'- for being a runner since a child (AVR at 71age) they only put a 23 size one in me!
I still run most days, but my long-distance tolerance has gone. Must admit I did expect a larger one, as I have been
told that with long time training, the heart gets larger...
See Ya
Brian

My surgeon also wanted to fit the largest valve he could, and I got 25 carbomedics, up from the valve before which was 23, and my first valve, a tissue was only 21.
I have seen that some on this site get only 19 and I guess that's the largest that would fit?
Hard to believe, but each person's aorta is different.

I am a little late on this post. But wanted to let you know that my daughter was 10 years old and under 5 ft and 100 lbs when she received her valve and luckily was able to receive an small adult sized valve rather than the smaller sizes used for children - size of Hannahs 23 mm. Based on the numbers posted above, body size and stature does not appear to be the main component in determining appropriate valve size.

Just keep in mind that the actual valve area varies within the same "size", even within one brand. For instance, comparing one 23mm to another 23mm is nearly useless. The important thing is to get the largest one that will fit. That's why some surgeons are doing almost all their aortic valve replacements as supra-annular rather than intra-annular.

Latest posts

Back