Six weeks post op and still feeling yucky

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmaceae

Today is six weeks post op for my aortic valve replacement and I still feel weak and just all around yucky. I know everyone is different and I see some people on here that recover quickly and some that take a long time to recover but what is the average of when you feel "pretty good"?
Some days I feel OK and I think I turned the corner but then I have days like today when I feel like doing nothing and just feel "blah". I am walking around the block a couple times a day, I am now in cardiac rehab, so I was hoping to feel better by now. I just had my short term disability extended for a few more weeks (I was supposed to return to work today).
I am just praying I feel more like normal soon because this is getting old!

At 6 weeks out, I was still in my pyjamas.....very weak and tired alot.
How is your arrhythmia?

I'm sure that in another 2-3 weeks you will notice a difference.
The good days will outnumber the yukky days.

At 6 weeks out, I was still in my pyjamas.....very weak and tired alot.
How is your arrhythmia?

I'm sure that in another 2-3 weeks you will notice a difference.
The good days will outnumber the yukky days.

My arrhythmia's have occurred a lot less often now, thank you for asking! It did not happen at cardiac rehab last night so that was good. It happens mostly at night now when I lay down.
I will be looking forward to the next few weeks!

Give it a couple more weeks. I went back to work after 8 weeks, but still felt completely drained most times. Just keep doing what you are doing. Is your iron level OK? I was anemic (sp?) for at least 6 weeks after surgery so maybe your PCP needs to take a look at those levels. In any case, just keep plugging along, soon all this will be a closed chapter in your book of life.:)

Give it a couple more weeks. I went back to work after 8 weeks, but still felt completely drained most times. Just keep doing what you are doing. Is your iron level OK? I was anemic (sp?) for at least 6 weeks after surgery so maybe your PCP needs to take a look at those levels. In any case, just keep plugging along, soon all this will be a closed chapter in your book of life.:)

Yes I am anemic but getting better, just had a blood test last week and the numbers are raising. I just want this chapter to end!
I am glad they extended my short term disability because no way could I go to work now.

Yea, that anemia will kick your butt. Are you taking iron supplements (along with nine million stool softeners)? I hated those stupid pills. But anyway, again you are doing fine. But I do understand your wanting to get past all this. Hang in there and keep chatting with us, after all we are one big family.:D:D

Yea, that anemia will kick your butt. Are you taking iron supplements (along with nine million stool softeners)? I hated those stupid pills. But anyway, again you are doing fine. But I do understand your wanting to get past all this. Hang in there and keep chatting with us, after all we are one big family.:D:D

Thank you! I am taking vitamins and iron so I think that is helping, wish they would kick in soon! :)

agree with above posts 6 weeks still very early,i was still feeling very weak etc at that time,but it does get better,stick with it my friend

Today is six weeks. ...........

Some days I feel OK and I think I turned the corner but then I have days like today when I feel like doing nothing and just feel "blah". I am walking around the block a couple times a day, I am now in cardiac rehab, so I was hoping to feel better by now. I just had my short term disability extended for a few more weeks (I was supposed to return to work today).
I am just praying I feel more like normal soon because this is getting old!

From my own experience with energy, I can advise you not to use all your 'batteries' on the days you feel good. Save some energy...I did that thinking tht's it I am improving, then I would go backword. Continue your rehab and walking around the block and eat well.

You shall feel better soon--'patience is a tree with bitter roots, but has sweet fruits'.:)

I agree, six weeks I know I did not have any energy. I went to work after 8 weeks and came home and slept. I feel great now, but it took a long time. Give yourself some time. Best of luck.

focus on the mental side

focus on the mental side

I'm 2 weeks and one day post-op having dealt with valve repair, valve replacement, CABGx3, and a lung nodule excission. Over 12hrs in the OR. At about 10 days post op I started using focus techniques, a simple mantra like, "yesterday was a good day, tomorrow will be better, it all depends on me."
The other thing I've concentrated on is breathing properly while doing anything. Taking a shower, for example, was very tough, wiping me out totally. Making sure I'm exhaling as much as inhaling has made showers, walking up and down stairs, and other forms of exertion much easier. For me, shallow breathing has tended to hold me down.

It sounds like you are doing quite well ... and very normal. Things seem to vary so much from person to person. I was really feeling "pretty good" at 2 weeks. I am at 5 weeks now and feel very good. Every few days I do get worn out and need a nap and do not walk quite as far or fast. But for the most part I am walking further and faster each day. 6.75 miles today at 3.7 mph.

Take things slowly and listen to your body. You are doing great!

My surgery was at the end of January and I didn't feel "half decent" 'til May. Spouse could see the improvements coming but I didn't feel any different for quite a while. Slow and steady improvement--that's the best.
Cheers:)

Hope you feel better soon. Really six weeks is'nt very long just give yourself sometime. Make sure your vitamins are good ones that have good absorbtion into your body. They need to be 100% natural. Mine are made with whole foods and have worked pretty quickly like in a week. :) I made some lentil soup the other day and that helped too. :) Just keep up the good walking and eat good and you'll get more strength everyday.
Take Care & God Bless!
Crystal

I definitely felt pretty ordinary until about week 6, from there it did seem I had turned a corner and was generally feeling better most of the time, but again, we're all so very different and our overall health and fitness prior to surgery may also determine how long it takes to recover afterward.

Still, even at 7, 8 , 12 weeks, I was noticing improvements, so I was by no means even close to being back to normal at 6 weeks - and I suspect at 18 weeks (today!) I still have more ground to cover. The rehab will probably do you the world of good. I know for me it really helped me regain my posture and relieved a lot of the stiffness and back/shoulder pain.

In the meantime, take it one day at a time. You'll get there!

A : )

Latest posts

Back