Six Month Anniversary - Alan B

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Alan B

I had my surgery at the end of May (AVR and a single CAB) which - as many of you will know on this site - had some complications afterwards - some issues with my breathing but mostly a Pericardial Effusion which required a second surgery, resulting in three weeks in hospital.

It was a difficult time in the hospital, mostly because of the Effusion which took a while to get sorted, but getting home helped a lot. I still think about all the night sin hospital not being able to sleep even for a minute but as soon as I got home I started to make good progress. It started with a single lap around the garden, but now, six months on, I'm back to leading a normal life - and feel better than before the operation. I'm back to hill walking and church bell ringing. The rehabilitation course and the rowing machine in particular was helpful in giving me back my confidence.

I still feel some muscular pain around the chest area - but I guess this is pretty normal from what I've read here from others. I have an excellent cardiologist at Oxford - Prof. Harald Becher - who is taking me off Warfarin shortly (I've been on as a precaution following surgery) and have not had any issues at all with Warfarin (I was nervous initially - about quite a few things!). I had a bit of a hit on by-pass but feel fine now and everything is back to normal.

This site has been a brilliant resource to me - from the first stages around valve choice (I'm 62 so was weighing up mechanical vs tissue) through to the surgery and recovery itself. In the end, after doing the research myself - my surgeon told me the valve he planned to use - based on his experience - but my own knowledge from this site gave me confidence that it was the right choice for me.

As for future options and developments - I'm hoping to get the most out of the valve, but the science seems to develop so quickly here and who knows what they will be offering down the line.

Thanks very much to all who gave me and my family advice and support through the difficult stages. Things don't happen overnight and you've just got to relax and go with the flow. My experience was that things often come right in the end, but at the time progress seems slow. However, looking back over the last six months - a lot has happended but I've come a long way and feeling back to normal.

Alan, I am so happy for you at this stage in the process. I am one month behind you and seem to mirror your progress.Back to normal, only better.

My initial complications were miniscule compared to yours and it is wonderful to hear that you have made a full recovery! May we continue on this path getting long and reliable service from our respective CE bovine valves! Until the cows come home:)

congrats alan B- i was just thinking your same thoughts because it is also my 6 month anniversary today and yesterday of surgeries #4 and 5 for me! and I too am so much better. still some pounding and clicking and occasional aches but also alive and running around living life to the fullest. thank you all of you for being here for me then and today. i am so grateful to all of you. sending out love and hugs and prayers for all of you.

It started with a single lap around the garden, but now, six months on, I'm back to leading a normal life - and feel better than before the operation. I'm back to hill walking and church bell ringing. The rehabilitation course and the rowing machine in particular was helpful in giving me back my confidence.

Thanks for posting about your experiences, Alan, and best wishes for the future.

Jim

Hi, Alan, it is good to hear of your progress and return to a normal life which is sort of the point of all of this. Despite the positive projections by my surgeon, recovery still generates its own anxieties. So, for me in particular, it is good to hear of your recovery because you are like me in several ways, especially, age and type of valve. I'm 59 with a 23 mm CE Magna. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how things are going with you.

Larry

Congratulations Alan! Like you, I had sleepless nights in the hospital and slight chest pain for a few months after surgery. I hope you continue to improve.

Karl

Congratulations on your recovery Alan. You sound as if you're doing really really well - good on you.
I had problems with pericardial effusion too - not a nice experience is it? :eek:
Anyway I'm really glad that you're over it - keep up the good work and let us know how you're getting on.

Bridgette:)

Congratulations on your 6 months Alan! It is encouraging to read a post like this. I am 5 weeks out from surgery and still experiencing some shortness of breath (although it is improving... also had a collapsed lung and effusion post-surgery). There is hope!!! Hope every day is even better for you.

Congrats! Your surgery sounds like what I'm heading for your recovery too. I'm looking forward to spring and my irises. Thanks for all stuff you wrote. Helps me a whole lot. Keep plugging away!!! Rick

Latest posts

Back