Sister's hip joint surgery went fine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Thanks to everyone for their prayers for my youngest sister.
Nancyr had successful hip joint replacement yesterday (12/16). This was her 2nd hip joint replacement.
So now, at age 53, she's had both hip joints and both knee joints replaced. To the best of my knowledge, her lupus is responsible for all but the first joint replacement. Her #@&! dog was responsible for the first one at age 42.

She told me after her first surgery in October 98 that joint hardware does have a life expectancy and that it depended on your activity level. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I think that the newer hip joints are lasting a very long time.
My previous dentist had his done over 20 yrs ago (he had a very active life with skiing and tennis) and they needed to be re-done in his older years.
Best wishes to your sister. :)

My sister just called and sounds fine. She's in a brand new wing at the hospital, is the first patient in the room (actually an ICU room). Her dtr is bringing her a box of tissues -- seems no one can put their hands on a box of tissues and she's nasally congested. They'll give her something for that.

Her first hip joint was a Johnson & Johnson; this joint was a DePuy. Expected life is at least 10 years, and she's gotten 11 out of the J&J. So she's hoping for at least 15 on the DePuy.

Glad to hear that all went well with your sister's surgery. Let's hope that she doesn't have to go thru that for a very long time or at all, for that matter!

Has your sister ever been told she has avascular necrosis, possibly as a result of meds given for lupus? I'm asking because I have AVN, which results in bone death (in the joints) and your email sounds eerily familiar.

Best,
Dianne

Mine was due to necrosis of the femoral head from high dose prednisone for 5 years. I don't know what brand hip I have, but was told it would last 12 years. It's 11th birthday is coming up and it's still holding up fine.

Has your sister ever been told she has avascular necrosis, possibly as a result of meds given for lupus? I'm asking because I have AVN, which results in bone death (in the joints) and your email sounds eerily familiar.

Best,
Dianne

Dianne:

She was DXed with osteonecrosis in late 1998 or early 1999 -- before taking any meds for lupus.
She had had some symptoms of lupus before then, but not sure if she pushed for the ANA test. When her hip joint wasn't healing properly after her replacement in October 1998, she demanded an ANA test.
I'm not sure what RXes she's taken over the years. She has an infusion treatment every 8 weeks for her rheumatoid arthritis. Nothing else has helped for the pain from the RA.

Because lupus can run in families, my PCP tested me for it when Nancy was DXed. I was negative. My mother's test was borderline. Don't know if my dad has been tested, but I would not be surprised if he is positive; he has had mild RA all his life. It's in remission now.

My test for RA came up negative, no surprise there, but I have also had
2 tests for ANA (anti nuclear antibodies) and they have both come up positive.
I have yet to be DXed with a specific autoimmune disease since it's not always easy to figure out.

Thanks for the update on your sister. The autoimmune diseases are so interesting to study and sometimes they seem to overlap and almost merge. Sometimes you can't tell what it is because it seems a little like lupus, but it also seems a lot like RA, but it might be something else. It also seems that people who are autoimmune may have odd reactions to some medicines and treatments. Tests don't always come back with consistent results either. And Marsha, like you mentioned the other members of your family, sometimes each one has something but no two have the same symptoms.

I hope she does well and she is sure fortunate to have a caring sister like you.

Thanks for the update on your sister. The autoimmune diseases are so interesting to study and sometimes they seem to overlap and almost merge. Sometimes you can't tell what it is because it seems a little like lupus, but it also seems a lot like RA, but it might be something else. It also seems that people who are autoimmune may have odd reactions to some medicines and treatments. Tests don't always come back with consistent results either. And Marsha, like you mentioned the other members of your family, sometimes each one has something but no two have the same symptoms.

I hope she does well and she is sure fortunate to have a caring sister like you.

I agree, autoimmune diseases are very interesting.
When Nancy was DXed with lupus, I reported it to my PCP. Because lupus & RA can run in families, he ordered an ANA test and test for RA. I was negative.
Tests aren't always black-and-white. I've seen that enough with my cats -- love those pathology reports that say "XMXMX is consistent with (you fill in the blank)." Doesn't say it is, doesn't say it isn't.

Latest posts

Back