Short people more at risk for heart disease, go figure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyguy17

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Local newspaper published an excerpt from an article published in European heart Journal, where short people are more at risk for heart disease than tall pople, based on an evaluation of more than 3 million people.
Short i(higher risk)
for women < than 1.53 metres/5'
for men <1.65 metres/5'4'

Less risk if:
women are taller > 1.66 metres/5'4"
men are taller than > 1.73 metres/5'7"

http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2010/06/04/eurheartj.ehq155.full

Well, Superbob is well over 6 feet tall, so he takes absolutely no comfort from this study, which reminds him of the statistician who drowned in water averaging 3 feet in depth. :p

It also reminded SB of Randy Newman's funny tune/spoof of many years back (meant all in fun -- not a slam at anyone): :p:p

Short people got no reason
To live

They got little hands
Little eyes
They walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet

Well, I don't want no short people
Don't want no short people
`Round here

Short people are just the same
As you and I
(A fool such as I)
All men are brothers
Until the day they die
(It's a wonderful world)

Short people got nobody
Short people got nobody
Short people got nobody
To love

They got little baby legs
That stand so low
You got to pick em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
Well, I don't want no short people
'Round here

Interpreting that study would help, and there's really no way to do that.

I've seen articles about that study and it's the type of study that just goes after one feature (height), and no environmental factors. Older people are on average shorter than younger people, both because of bone loss and because the previous generation was just shorter. Older people have more heart problems than younger people. Dwarfs and midgets often have congenital heart issues. There are a million reasons why the shorter folks may have come out cardiologically disadvantaged in this study, but the limited nature of it makes it so we will never know those reasons.

So, Short People: no worries!

Best wishes,

all meant as fun guys,

but in summary of this long term large group study, people under the stated size have a 50% higher incidence of cardiovascular issue, meaning tall people also have heart issues but shorter people have a higer incidence

agree that as we age we may lose an inch or two maybe, but would think it more likely that little folks move more, may stress more, worry more, have smaller hearts etc., which may lead to premature ageing of the heart

Superbob, I like your jingle, but at 6ft+, guess you are not immune to heart disease, not allergic to Kryptonite i hope?

Big guys like Superbob see further, so likely jSuperbob nice gingle

I know myself and another both over 6 feet tall that have had mitral valve surgery. Tall can certainly add to the chances of having floppy valves.

I'm surprised at that study since there have been many others that pointed toward the opposite trend. In the range of about 5' to 5' 4" tall greatest longevity is seen. In my own personal experience all but two people at or near 100 were under 5ft. 6in. tall. One exception was a great aunt on my mother's side who was 5 ft. 8 inches and lived to 99, and there was another tall woman who also made it to 100, but I can't remember her name. All of the men I've ever met who managed 100 years of age were under 5 ft. 6 inches. I have a cousin named Homer in Clarkston, WA, who is 93, and aside from severe hearing loss and partial blindness, has no other health problems--he's 5 ft. 4 in. His mind is sharper than mine, and he easily keeps track of multiple subjects of conversation; his heart and circulation is great. My oldest cousin, Donna, who is 64 has been married to Tony for close to 45 years and he's 91 now, and still is a brisk walker, sees well, hears perfectly, and looks younger than his wife (his hair is only gray and not even a little thin)--he's 5 ft. 3 inches and stands erect--no arthritis, no obesity, and most importantly, no heart problems. I'm informally making plans to attend Homer's and Tony's 100th birthday celebrations.

My wife has observed in her medical practice the same trend. People who have always been below average height (the trend reverses significantly at heights much below 4 ft. 10 in.) have maintained more active lives and have lived longer than much taller relatives. There are always exceptions, even in my own family. My own father, for instance, has outlived his 4 ft. 10 in. sister. He was 6 ft. 2 in. at his tallest, and still stands over 6 ft. at age 77. However, he has severe arthritis, but nothing else serious (heart is good, as is my mother's at the same age). I even read a study that indicated that the main reason why statistically women outlive men is that their average heights are shorter by about 4 inches in most populations; men and women of the same height have almost identical longevity--read it many years ago, in the pre-internet era, so I can't give a precise reference. It may be true that heart ailments may be more common in shorter people, but did the study mention a higher percentage of long-term survival in this same shorter population? Laura has noted some spunky little old ladies coming into the clinic with V-tach and other serious arrhythmias having driven themselves there (one such lady described a "strange fluttery sensation" in her chest--V-tach rate of nearly 300; she was one of the patients who drove herself to the clinic), while taller folks would be unconscious with the same condition--or just simply progress into fibrillation and death. Yes, the little old lady survived and so far as I know is still alive. Statistics can be made to prove just about anything if the questions are posed in just the right way. Technically, we all still have heart disease, even if our valves are fully repaired or replaced and the rest of our hearts are just fine. Maybe this study includes valvular as well as coronary heart disease. Don't let this European study worry you. When God says you're done with this life, it will be over. It won't matter how tall you are.

Chris

I'm 5 ft. 9 inches tall, and I had mitral valve prolapse, followed by rupture of two chordae tendineae. Mitral valve repaired and doing well, thanks be to God! So mitral valve problems aren't just for the tall and lanky (I'm stocky in build). :cool:

Chris

Good insight Chris, am 5'8", so guess we both fit into the 50% less risk statistical boxes, that still needed work, maybe Europeans/Scandanavians, (where study was done) are shorter on average (smile)...too much inbreeding on that side of the pond (grin)

Good insight Chris, am 5'8", so guess we both fit into the 50% less risk statistical boxes, that still needed work, maybe Europeans/Scandanavians, (where study was done) are shorter on average (smile)...too much inbreeding on that side of the pond (grin)

Not that it means anything scientific, but I'm 5'6" with a BAV (stable, hopefully for life). My brother was 5'5" and he had a BAV (has a Ross Procedure, then a mechanical). My paternal grandfather, whose namesake I am, lived to be 92 and was healthy until almost the end. He wasn't short, but I will claim his longevity nonetheless. :biggrin2:

Well, of my 6 first cousins, the short one (male, in the danger zone according to that survey) is the only one who has had to have bypass surgery and frequent stents put in due to recurring clogged arteries. True Marfan syndrome (which seems NOT to have clogged arteries among its many woes) are, of course, mostly tall people. I think the short connection is for clogged arteries, not for bad heart valves.

Latest posts

Back