Shaving

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul1401

Hi Guys,
Just bought my first straight razor. Had a go on Friday night. Super, and less nicks than using the old double bladed safety razor, and less rash than the electric shave. Just take your time if your thinking of getting one - not something to use if you are in a rush and on warfarin !!

Don't feel bad, I am a woman who still uses disposable razors. Can't use electric, won't cut enough. But at least the advice is used here, take your time and you won't nick. LOL!

When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was 'don't use a straight razor.' Then I see that this is EXACTLY what you did.

It's interesting that you used a double-edged razor -- can you still even find blades for it? I have one from the early 1900s that I bought 20 years ago from an old guy who used it as a kid. My dad used a double edge. I usually use something with four or five blades - I'm waiting for the 18 blade models to come out.

I don't think that I'd have the nerve to try a straight razor -- but if I did, I would certainly follow your advice -- I'd take my time and be awfully damned careful.

There is a model of disposable here that is the only razor I can shave with and not end up looking like Norman Gunston

Norman+Gunston.jpg

I just don't know -- I used to use a multi-blade cartridge razor. About the time I had my valve replaced and needed to take coumadin for a few months, I realized just how (%)&$ expensive the blades were. I switched to an electric (Norelco Rotary) and haven't changed back. Yes, the blades shaved closer, but if I do a careful job with the rotory, it is fine. It also takes less time in my already busy morning routine. Call me chicken if you will, but for me it is just convenience.

My problem is I can have what seems like an error-free shave, and hours later I 'spring a leak', mainly over the mouth. Never liked electric though, will stick with razors anyway, I guess.

Electrics never really did it for me, either -- I wound up with a lot of irritation and not a very good shave. For 40+ years, I had a moustache, so didn't worry much about a clean upper lip. I don't shave every day (though I should), but use a multi-blade razor. I don't change my blades until I really need to - so the cost per shave isn't extremely terrible (although blades ARE way too expensive anyway).

I'm still working in an office, so I shave daily (except maybe on the weekends). The electric does well enough, but by late afternoon I can feel the stubble. It as almost all grey now, so it isn't very visible.

I usually buy Wilkinson Sword or Merkur double edged razors, but I have heard of the Japanese Feather brand - apparently very good.
If you decide to have ag go with a straight, by a 'disposable' straight (ie you replace the blades with half a double edged - just snap a standard blade in two - simples). Then get a good brush and a DECENT shaving soap (Taylors of old bond street in London do excellent soaps). Lather up well, and take your time. Took me about 20 mins to shave with it, but it was a good shave :)
When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was 'don't use a straight razor.' Then I see that this is EXACTLY what you did.

It's interesting that you used a double-edged razor -- can you still even find blades for it? I have one from the early 1900s that I bought 20 years ago from an old guy who used it as a kid. My dad used a double edge. I usually use something with four or five blades - I'm waiting for the 18 blade models to come out.

I don't think that I'd have the nerve to try a straight razor -- but if I did, I would certainly follow your advice -- I'd take my time and be awfully damned careful.

There is a fairly significant amount of straight razor users still out there. The internet brings them together :) You can even spend hundreds of dollars on a custom hand made razor.

I've switched on and off for years between electric and disposable razors before my surgery. Just before my surgery, I got myself a new electric razor (that was the advice given to me since I would be on warfarin) but I still like using the disposable razors. I may get a nick her or there, but I haven't bled out yet and it doesn't take that long for it to stop.

The man who cuts my hair is a licensed barber - he has been for decades - and he told me the other day that, for Barbers in California at least, they cannot reuse a straight razor. Instead, they use disposable blades. The 'ritual' related to shaving with a straight razor (stropping the razor to get a good edge, preparing the warm lather, perhaps steaming the face, etc.) will have to be one enjoyed by individuals.

(Even though I use a cheap multiblade razor, I still would like to have a hot lather machine like some barbershops probably still use)

Latest posts

Back