Shaving

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MNmom

Just curious if those of you on coumadin actually use electric razors, or is that another myth? My husband heard this and of course threw away all my real razors before I got home from the hospital, and my aunt bought me two different kinds of electric razors to try to spoil me, but its just not the same. Any of you just use regular razors- or is that really a big no no? Still learning here...

I stopped shaving entirely and it was great! And then I got flak for not keeping the beard trimmed, so I went back to shaving, and have been using a regular razor ever since. It is a myth that those on coumadin have to use an electric razor; I think myths like that should be used to our advantage....

I shaved about the fourth day after surgery. I could'nt stand the pokey hair on my legs.:eek: I never heard anything about shaving, and I use a regular razor.
I haven't even cut myself once so I guess I'm safe. I would just do what your comfortable with. You could always get a wax job!!!:D

My husband bought me an electric razor while I was in the hospital. I tried it once, but not even close. Now I use it to give myself a Brazilian! LOL!

I use a regular razor. I've cut myself several times over the last 10 years. Occasionally the cut will ooze for a while, sometimes even requiring 2-3 bandaids, but really, do you know how much blood loss is necessary before you bleed to death? That can't possible happen with a tiny cut on the knee or ankle!

I took the electric razor advice as an excuse to buy something I already wanted. I've also used normal razors, however, I think I'll stay away from the open blade types.:D

I use a regular blade razor on underarms (use Nair on legs only because it lasts longer). I have never had problems.

I used a blade razor until 3-4 years ago. It was no problem except sometimes had to paper my face :mad:when I cut myself. Now that I am retired and don't have to stay clean shaven all day I have gone electric. Life really is a lot simpler with an electric shaver:D,

While I was on warfarin, I used my usual blade razors. I knicked myself a few times but no big deal. I had no intention of 'going electric'. No need for it.

wow, thanks

wow, thanks

I had no idea so many actually used real blades for shaving. I actually just finished shaving for real after reading these replies- much better!
I will probably be more cautious, at least at first.
Thanks yet again!
Ingrid

No need to change

No need to change

Ingrid,

Try to think of it this way. There's nothing you need to change in your way of life because of Coumadin/warfarin. Most of the bleeding "warnings" are based on waaaayyy old information and protocols. You are not going to bleed to death or even need blood for anything that we to externally to ourselves. Think about it it takes 1 quart of blood loss to require intervention/hospitalization. That's not going to happen from cutting ourselves shaving, having a tooth pulled, cutting veggies in the kitchen, gardening, etc. Just apply direct pressure for a time, and it will stop bleeding. An external bleed bad enough to cause hospitalization (arterial wound) would be just as bad for someone not taking anti-coagulants.

We DO need to be careful of INTERNAL bleeding i.e. hitting our head, getting a bleeding ulcer, and such because there is no way for us to stop it.

I hope this makes sense. Take your meds, live your life, and HAVE FUN!

Hi,

I was told after my surgery to use an electric razor because of coumadin but I never did and haven't had a problem.

Of course I was also told to avoid lettuce/green veggies but I started eating salads again and my INR has not been out of range since. Just goes to show you how many myths there are about coumadin and why a site like this is so valuable.

Cheers,
Michelle

When I got home from the hospital the home nurse scarred me to death about Coumadin. She said never use an blade, only electric and to be very careful with that. After a few attempts and browsing the VR Forums I got rid of all the little stuff she had told my sister to get me. Never again, I have not bled to death and don't intend to.:D

There are so many laughable things that people THINK about us. Now if they actually KNEW something, I'd be flabberghasted. I use my 5 blade Schick face weasel, nick myself multiple times each shave and you know what? I ain't bleed to death yet. If you look close at the picture of me and Al Lodwick, you'll probably see a few of those nicks.

I use a regular razor. No electric. Of course there are going to be cuts but they clot after a while. I shave my head too... Its really terrible when you get a razor cut up there.

I've never heard of anyone even needing a transfusion let alone croaking.

Latest posts

Back