Second Surgery Risks - Mechanical Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clumsydancer

Hi all,

I've heard tons of stories and learned so much in this forum. One question it's led me to ask is what's normal? Is the norm to never have a second surgery (with mechanical valve) or is it normal to have to undergo another for various reasons? Anyone know? I think, from what I gather, is that for mechanical valves it's mostly (with few exceptions) a singular life event, but I wanted to pick your minds.

Thanks all,

Nate

Hi Nate,

I think mechanical valves have gotten to the point now where you should just need one operation, although I can only speak for my case. I am having surgery soon, and the surgeon said that if he replaces my aortic valve with an On-X valve, that it will last the rest of my life. I'm currently 35. My uncle is in his late 50's and has had 4 open heart surgeries. I believe he had his mitral and pulmonary valves replaced with mechanical ones, the most recent being in 2000. He had one set of mechanical ones before than and 2 surgeries with tissue. One of his mechanical valves from the 2000 operation is leaking now and he might need to have another operation.

All the best!

Hi

Its not the norm to need a second surgery after a mechanical valve. But stuff happens that causes problems that aren't "the norm".

Similarly things can go astray with tissue based prostheses too.

All things being equal a mechanical prosthetic is intended to be one operation to last a lifetime. For younger people tissue valves just can't offer that.

Ask Dick how long he's had his mechanical valve for

unfortunatley no valves are quaranteed to last a lifetime, theres a few on here who have had mech who have found that out, saying that there are a lot who indeed do just need the one op,

Here's hoping to a singular surgery for mechanical valvers! Sood, I'm 38 and just had mine done. I got a Sornin Top Hat. My surgeon swears by them. I hear great things about the On-X valves. They thought I had BAVD, but turns out that at some point I got endocarditis and one of my leaflets had a hole right in the middle, the size of a dime.

I just dread ever going through it again. It's a big life change, manageable, but a change nonetheless. I'm just getting started so I shouldn't be crying too much, lol.

When is your surgery, Sood?

clumsydancer, good luck with whatever choice you make. I have St. Judes aortic valve and have had it for almost 12 years now and only have to deal with warfarin(coumadin) issues. I have been pretty stable for the most part, all physical activities not restricted at all. So go with your gut feeling and we all will be behind you and will be here for you. Hugs for you today.:eek:

Just saw my cardiologist as I'm 9 weeks out with my On X mechanical valve. Sent me down to get a base line echo according to him, "to compare for the rest of my life." He said his experience with mechanical valves is they last a lifetime. I"m 57 and had a stenotic bicuspid valve replaced.

All I can say for certain is that if one does have a second OHS after receiving a mechanical valve in their 1st, it is extremely unlikely that it is due to any kind of mechanical failure of the valve. Having grown up with BAV and receiving my 1st mechanical valve late in my teen years - I thought I was all set. However, I've learned more about the potential extent of issues related to BAV in the last 7 years than I ever knew before.

My second OHS was driven by an aortic aneurysm 3 1/2 years ago. This is something more likely in BAV's than the general population due to a potential connective tissue disorder that is part of the overall congenital heart defect. Of course not all BAV's have that part and not all valve replacements are due to BAV.

Other drivers of a 2nd OHS for mechanical valvers are pannus (scar tissue, I believe) growth, leaks around the valve, and infections. As to the % of mechanical valve recipiants that need a 2nd OHS - I don't have a source for that.

I had a second operation, but it was for a different valve! My initial MVP diagnosis was delayed, resulting in lots of damage to my heart. At my first post MVR checkup I found out I would probably require a second replacement - my aortic valve. Then the strain of the pacer/ICD wires made the tricuspid leaky, so we ringed that one while we were in doing the AVR, 4 years after the MVR.

Agility, that is quite an experience! I'm hoping this aortic valve is all I ever need. You gotta be strong to have gone through so much. How did they do your mitral? OHS or through catheterization?

When I got mine, the docs didn't give me a "lifetime" valve life, but they did say it would last 50 years....and that seemed long enough. Now that it has lasted 46 years, I am hoping it lasts longer than 50 years(LOL).....and based on recent testing, it will. Mechanical valves are designed to last a long time and nobody can be sure "how long" since valve replacement surgery is only about 50 years old.

At 55, relatively "young" (!!) for valve replacement, my surgeon indicated the answer was a mechanical valve: the ATS bi-leaflet, which was at the time in clinical trials, was seen to be superior to the St. Jude's--the gold standard at the time--including but not limited to the fact that it was quieter than the
"competition"!

Here I am, going on 13 years down the road, and all is well. My INR levels have been fine most of the time through all these years. Given my age at the time of the surgery (which was my second OHS, had mitral valcve repair at 41), the prosthetic valve was the way to go. Although, as others here have stated, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW THE FUTURE, I feel great confidence in my continuing good health. My cardiologist said, in his jovial and easy-going way, that I'd likely be fine until I'm at least 80, and if some minor problems arise, they could be handled. I am smart enough to know I don't need lots of premature details
and that what I do need to do, continue to do my INRs (I test at home) in a timely fashion, eat right, don't smoke, drink a glass or two of wine or beer here and there, exercise regularly and with gusto, and laugh as much as possible, I do with great dedication.

Long live the Tick-Tockers!

Latest posts

Back