Second opinion questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbeard

Hello all,

This seems to be my first thread. I have been on the forum for a few weeks, and thanks to some special people with my ineptness.

I was diagnosed in August 2013 at 57 yr. old with a bicuspid heart valve and a thoracic aneurysm 4.2- 4.5.

This rocked my world. I have since gotten a second opinion from a well thought of heart center in Houston.

I just finished reading Robby benson's book, 'I am not dead, yet". It was riveting , but scary.

Questions for you all:

If I am having heart pain, like a pinging and thudding, does this mean that the aneurism is growing?
How should I word my questions to the doc I am goi g to see, because I am probably not going to be going to him for the BAV replacement and aortic replacement.

I was diagnosed in August 2013 at 57 yr. old with a bicuspid heart valve and a thoracic aneurysm 4.2- 4.5.

That's sort of good news. Aneurysm is often called the silent killer, for it gives no symptoms and then in many cases bursts; killing the person. Think of it like a garden hose that is swelling on ctne hose connector due to weakening and pressure.
If I am having heart pain, like a pinging and thudding, does this mean that the aneurism is growing?
Quite unlikely. My personal experience of my aneurysm was that under load (say skiing up hill cross country) that my heart beat felt softer than I thought it should given the situation. I attributed this to my valve leaking more. This valve in question was my homograft done in 1992?

How should I word my questions to the doc I am goi g to see, because I am probably not going to be going to him for the BAV replacement and aortic replacement.

Well its not a poker game, so tell him what you know and tell him you are seeking a second opinion. He's making money out of you while you're there and its not like you choosing elsewhere will effect his bottom line :)

Thank you Pellicle, my question is still this? Why am I having these symptoms? I have a heart monitor from my cardiologist, and every day I record an event and send it. I am scared to death that I am experiencing a dissection of my aorta all the time.

Ok, I know. I need to ask the dr. These questions.

My two cents - part of why (and maybe a HUGE part of why) you're having these symptoms is that you now know something is wrong and any little twinge freaks you out!

I'm fairly sure the heart doesn't have any pain sensors (someone else feel free to correct me!) so whatever you're feeling, it's not coming from your ticker. :)

I am scared to death that I am experiencing a dissection of my aorta all the time.

I have read that the pain that goes with a dissection is so acute you will be in no doubt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aortic_dissection
n most cases this is associated with severe characteristic chest or abdominal pain described as "tearing" in character, and often with other symptoms that result from decreased blood supply to other organs

http://www.medicinenet.com/aortic_dissection/article.htm
Symptoms of aortic dissection include a tearing or ripping pain in the chest, sweating, nausea, shortness of breath, weakness, or syncope (fainting). Abdominal aortic dissection can present with abdominal pain radiating to the flank or back.

Ok, I know. I need to ask the dr. These questions.

Yep, cos were all just patients in here with varying levels of experience. We can be an outlet, or we can provide our experiences, but we aren't really able to do more.

I suspect its more a combination of anxiety and fresh awareness. As SkiGirl has said elsewhere , if your not in hospital with several medicos around your bed focusing on you then you know its not dire.

Hi!

Almost everyone of us, after being diagnosed with a heart problem, began to perceive (slight) heart symptoms. Like palpitations, for instance. Most probably, these symptoms are just anxiety. Usually, heart valves problems (stenosis, regurgitation) and related conditions (heart chambers enlargements, aorta aneurysms, etc.) slowly develop over the time. So, if you felt absolutely normal on sunday, and began to feel sick on monday, just AFTER an echo revealed some kind of heart disease, chances are that you are just experiencing anxiety and excessive awareness. A panic attack, for instance, has MANY symptoms in common with a real heart attack. The good news is that, after the initial shock, those anxiety-related symptoms will slowly fade away.

Take care. You will be fine.

I agree with the others - most likely you're more aware of your heart now since your diagnosis than before. I also had a thoracic aneurysm - but mine was 5.2 cm when it was discovered and I remember feeling similar to you in that I thought it would dissect at any moment - for the first time in my life I experienced panic attacks on a regular basis.....I'd be out walking and all of the sudden my heart would race and I felt like I was going to die!

My doctor started me on lisinopril to keep (my already very low blood pressure) low - she told me to not do any kind of weight lifting - no sit-ups and no push-ups - nothing that would raise the BP suddenly because a sudden rise in BP is not good for a person with an aneurysm

But - it's my understanding that these things grow very slowly - just know that mine was bigger than yours and I managed to live 3 months with it before I had surgery. Aneurysms are nothing to play with - but as others here have said - at least you know because they can be silent killers - meaning that they don't cause symptoms usually - but if you don't know about them - then you've got a problem

Last edited:
I am not ure you need to tell the Cardio that they are a 2nd opinion. After all, you may like them much better and they become your Dr. In 1998, I talked to a few 2nd opinions and then made the switch. The main reason I switch is my original Cardio did not think I needed surgery and all the other pointed out that I did...and I did need it.

Latest posts

Back