Second OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarno1973

Hi All,

Well I am back home after my second OHS. I have been posting about my tissue valve failing after 6 months and how I wanted an On-x mechanical valve even though my surgeon had never used it before.

Everything seemed to have worked out fine. I am back home now, 6 days after surgery with an On-x implanted. Recovery went well after the first OHS but seems to be even faster this time. Came home yesterday after a 5 day hospital stay and though I seem to be out of breath easily I feel quite alright.

My heartbeat is more stable than directly after the first OHS and is around 80 when sitting up but has been as low as 65 already when close to sleeping. I feel a bit of pain and stiffness here and there but the incision seems to be less painful and I am already sleeping on my side and even almost on my belly.

I had the opportunity to have a look at my failed tissue valve. It looked in pretty bad condition to me but not so much to the surgeon. His opinion was that mismatch (too small size) has probably been the biggest issue. Besides the mismatch there was however also one of the leaflets that was not able to open properly, adding to the problems. I have tried to add a picture of the valve to my post but not sure if it is there. On the picture there seems to be a bit of a lump which I think could have limited movement of one of the leaflets.

I am a bit disappointed to know that if I would have had a bigger tissue valve things might have worked out differently. The option of having a tissue valve is now kind of spoiled. I do not blame my surgeon for this as I think he has followed the correct guidelines and there just are no guarantees with these kind of things. He used the valve that matched the size of my Aorta and according to calculations should have been the right size. The calculations apparently are a rule of thumb and not completely "fool-proof". I guess this makes sense because otherwise there would not be a thing called "prosthesis mismatch" at all.

The fact that my heart beat is more stable than with the tissue valve pleases me. The valve really feels right. Initially I heard quite a bit of sound from the valve and I was afraid it would start to bother me. I had a very loud heart beat before my first surgery when the valve was leaking and it never bothered me. This sound however is a much higher frequency sound and not really nice to listen to. Now only a few days after surgery, I seem to hear it less and less. My girlfriend apparently hears it quite often even when she stands away from me but that is off course not my problem. She could always move a few steps away when it bothers her too much : )

For now, I will be taking things easy and hope I will be able to stay away from any complications.

I will be back to the forum soon with lots of questions on anticoagulation. I intend to make quite a study out of this as I will need to find a way how to be on warfarin and still maintain a lifestyle in which I can be very active and have the opportunity to party (alcohol) every now then. My home tester should be able to be a great help in this. I have already been using it and checked the results against the lab test. The coagucheck XS seems to be very reliable. The biggest deviation against lab results I found so far is 0.07 point.

All the best,

Jarno

Attachments

• valve frontside.jpg
    valve frontside.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 92
Glad to hear things are going so well with your new valve. Warfarin has not impaired my lifestyle. I race cars and ride motorcycles and have the occasional beer and wine. There are decent guidelines for alcohol that should allow you to be part of the party. Binge or consistent excessive drinking isn't good for anyone, warfarin or not, but alcohol consumption is not forbidden by any means.

Jarno, glad to see you are doing well. From what I have been reading on here warfarin will let us live normally and some alcohol here and there will not change things. Most people learn how to make slight adjustments with the time to accomodate their lifestyle.

I am back home now, 6 days after surgery with an On-x implanted. Initially I heard quite a bit of sound from the valve and I was afraid it would start to bother me. Now only a few days after surgery, I seem to hear it less and less. My girlfriend apparently hears it quite often even when she stands away from me but that is off course not my problem. She could always move a few steps away when it bothers her too much : )

For now, I will be taking things easy and hope I will be able to stay away from any complications.

I will be back to the forum soon with lots of questions on anticoagulation. I intend to make quite a study out of this as I will need to find a way how to be on warfarin and still maintain a lifestyle in which I can be very active and have the opportunity to party (alcohol) every now then. My home tester should be able to be a great help in this. I have already been using it and checked the results against the lab test. The coagucheck XS seems to be very reliable. The biggest deviation against lab results I found so far is 0.07 point.

All the best, Jarno

Congratulations and welcome home. You sound great!

Over time you may not notice the clicking, while others may hear it. You'll notice it if you are standing in front of a window or door, sometimes mirrors.

Sounds like you have already done a lot of research on home testing, you already have your Coagucheck XS. Home testing is the best, lots of freedom. If you add or stop any medications, test around 3 days into or off of the med to see if its effecting your INR.

Alcohol is fine, just not in excess. Also, dehydration tends to raise my INR so if you are physically active, be sure to hydrate appropriately. Check out the active lifestyle forum here, read up on what other valvers are doing.

Also, check out Cardiac Athletes. Members from around the world supporting and inspiring each other.

Keep this link for drug interactions with coumadin or warfarin(name brand or generic anticoagulation) Drug Digest

Hello Jarno,

Congrats on your sucessful surgery.

I would not be affraid of an active lifestyle. You just need to be aware of your surroundings. Accidents can happen to anyone, but for those of us on Coumadin, they can be more life threatening due to the bleeding issue, and possible internal hemmoraging if you take a hard hit or fall.

As for the drinking..I wouldn't worry about that much. They key is consistancy.
So of you do drink, your medications can be adjusted accordingly.
Excessive drinking is damaging to anyone, Coumadin or not.

Again, Cheers on a full, speedy, and active lifestlye recovery.

Rob

Thanks for all replies.

It looks like I am having a bit of a dip right now. As little pain as I initially had so much did I have last night. Could be because I was already starting to behave like nothing ever happened. Or could this be because after a week finally all pain killers start losing their effect?

Anyone had similar experiences?

It is a pain on the left side of my body when I am in certain positions. Yesterday laying down on bed hurt a lot and there were certain positions which I could not be in due to pain. Breathing seems to be unaffected. The pain I can handle but the thoughts and questions (is something wrong? should I see the doctor) this causes is always difficult.

Jarno,
Glad to learn you are home. But likely yes the pain might be because you pain meds from before are leaving your body and since you felt soooo good, you thought you were ten feet tall and bullet proof. Your body said 'hey wait a minute buddy" and now you get to slow down a little. Just give your body time to catch up to your new and improved valve. Just take it slow for a little bit. Wishing you a less bumpy recovery. :)

Glad to hear your home and the op went well!!!
Its amazing how you got to see your valve!!! i'm so facinated lol :D
Hope your pain subsides soon,
thinking of you :)
Love Sarah xxx

My girlfriend apparently hears it quite often even when she stands away from me but that is off course not my problem. She could always move a few steps away when it bothers her too much : )

Just remember Jarno that if your girlfriend in tuned into your heartbeat then be careful about telling her any lies because you now have a built in lie detector and she will be able to hear your heartbeat speed up. :biggrin2:

Glad you are recovering well. I had a similar experience after my second surgery. I still had good days and bad days after the 2nd one, but I think having gone through one surgery already I knew the routine already so it didn't seem as bad as the first time.

My heart rate has been a lot higher than the first week after surgery and it worried me a little bit so I went back to the hospital.

I dont have any conclusive answer but they did an X-ray of the lungs, an EKG and an echo. All looked good. Finally they hooked me up to a small EKG unit for 24 hours. I carried it around for a day and they are now analyzing the data. I hope nothing like A-fib or something comes out.

My situation may actually not be so bad but it worried me that it went from very good to a lot worse. My heart rate when just sitting aorund is now often around 95 and when I just walk around the house or do walking excercise at 3 km/h it goes up to 130 and higher sometimes. Yesterday I did have moments where it got into the 80's and even in the high 70's sometimes but as soon as I "move" I am up in the 90's. It is not yet 2 weeks after my second surgery in 8 months so maybe I should just give it some more time.

Wondering what I should do with excercise though. Last time I was told to keep the heart rate below 130 even after 6 weeks. So should I excercise (walking only) if this means my heart rate will go over 130? Could this damage anything or not? In the end I guess that excercise is actually the key to lowering the heart rate.

Regards,

Jarno

Jamo,
Congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing your experience with us. And Godspeed on your continued recovery

My heart rate when just sitting aorund is now often around 95 and when I just walk around the house or do walking excercise at 3 km/h it goes up to 130 and higher sometimes. Yesterday I did have moments where it got into the 80's and even in the high 70's sometimes but as soon as I "move" I am up in the 90's. It is not yet 2 weeks after my second surgery in 8 months so maybe I should just give it some more time.

Wondering what I should do with excercise though. Last time I was told to keep the heart rate below 130 even after 6 weeks. So should I excercise (walking only) if this means my heart rate will go over 130? Could this damage anything or not? In the end I guess that excercise is actually the key to lowering the heart rate.

I had a similar experience short term after surgery and my elevated heart rate did normalize gradually with time. My medication (beta blocker) was identical pre and post surgery, so it was easy for me to see the difference the surgery made on both my heart rate and blood pressure. I exercised as much as I could, with breaks in between obviously, after I returned home from the hospital, transitioning from walking very short amounts at first to walking at least several miles a day for the next few weeks. But I did keep it more "controlled", just doing enough to push myself, but also trying to cap my max rate in the 130's or so. My pacemaker had an upper limit that came into play at the time, too, so I was even more aware of this than I might normally have been.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry so much about damage, just try to get good daily exercise that's reasonable for your stage of recovery. It's very odd to me, but the post surgery elevated heart rate does not seem to affect everyone, or it can even be different for those with multiple surgeries. But when it happens, it seems to pretty consistently return to normal within a few months. Best wishes for continued recovery.

I had a similar experience short term after surgery and my elevated heart rate did normalize gradually with time. My medication (beta blocker) was identical pre and post surgery, so it was easy for me to see the difference the surgery made on both my heart rate and blood pressure. I exercised as much as I could, with breaks in between obviously, after I returned home from the hospital, transitioning from walking very short amounts at first to walking at least several miles a day for the next few weeks. But I did keep it more "controlled", just doing enough to push myself, but also trying to cap my max rate in the 130's or so. My pacemaker had an upper limit that came into play at the time, too, so I was even more aware of this than I might normally have been.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry so much about damage, just try to get good daily exercise that's reasonable for your stage of recovery. It's very odd to me, but the post surgery elevated heart rate does not seem to affect everyone, or it can even be different for those with multiple surgeries. But when it happens, it seems to pretty consistently return to normal within a few months. Best wishes for continued recovery.

Thanks...very useful anser..

Latest posts

Back