Scheduled to meet with surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeddyLee

On Thursday, I met with my cardiologist at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. She said my aortic stenosis is now severe and it's time to get a meeting with the surgeon, for valve replacement. They are supposed to contact me with the date of my appointment. However, since then, this morning in fact, I had to go to the ER due to my heart rate being at around 180 for approximately 10 minutes. I wasn't near Barnes-Jewish at the time, so I had to go to a different hospital. They contacted someone at Barnes-Jewish and they said they will try to get back with me at the beginning of next week. I understand they are busy and such, but my symptoms seem to be getting a bit worse, or more common really. At the moment I am home and actually don't feel too bad. I'm not sure that part of it isn't just a bit of anxiety about the whole situation.

Anyway, that's where I am in my journey. Hopefully it will fly by with minimal complications and I will soon begin my "new life" with a mechanical valve. (I believe that's what I'm gonna go with)

Edit: I forgot the whole reason I posted this. On average, after diagnosis, how soon did most people here have their surgery?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Although I my murmur was detected when I was 12, it became time for a new valve when I was 56 and it was about 2 months from the time my then cardio and I discussed my health and the time the surgeon began his handiwork. So it varies, some folks have time to plan and interview surgeons to find one they are comfortable with and some folks end up having the surgery on an emergency basis. So in any case, good luck as you being this journey and ask questions if you wish, there are tons of folks on here who will share their experiences, but in the end, the decisions will be yours with guidance from your doctors. Best Wishes

Thank you. I was diagnosed with the bi-cuspid aortic valve pretty much at birth, and I had minimal stenosis at the time. It just recently began to degrade and the symptoms kind of hit all at once, at an alarming rate. Thanks again.

On a side note, I'm not exactly sure why I titled the thread the way I did. It has little to do with me actually meeting the surgeon haha

Hi
I met my surgeon in march and had my surgery in June. I have known for years that this was coming, but from the time I met my surgeon he said the surgery should be done with in 5-6 months. I scheduled it in 3 months and its been a year and I feel so much better. Good luck!!!! this is a Great site for an enormous amount of wonderful and helpful information!!!
RZG

Hello,
First off, I am living life with no symptoms. Known of my BAV since 10 years old. At age 45 in late Feb. 2012, Cardiologist calls after my ultrasound and discusses the need to see a surgeon. Says no more working out at the gym and no heavy lifting due to BAV now severe and NEW news of ascending aorta measuring 5cm. I had a massive weight on my chest by that night. Symptoms began to appear, but I think 99% were from the mindset I was in. Saw the surgeon 2 times before procedure and scheduled it as soon as I could while working around my familys. I lost the anchor that I was dragging around by thinking positive, staying productive, and doing alot of reading on this site. Surgery was April 10th, my wish would have been sooner. Best wishes and speedy recovery.

Hello! I met with my surgeon june 7th and my surgery is scheduled for july 9th so about a month in between. My surgeon said he did not feel comfortable waiting even 6months.

I have known about my heart since birth and have seen a cardiologist once a year and this will be my 1st surgery at 19 years old :)

Hi GeddyLee, welcome to the forum!

To answer your question about wait-time between diagnosis and surgery of course everyone is different, in my case I found out in March 2011 that I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve and I also had an ascending aortic aneurysm.

Because my aneurysm was 5.2 cm, I waited only 3 months before I had surgery.

Good luck to you when you do see your doctor,
Rachel

Well, I was admitted in to Barnes-Jewish, and they kept me all of Sunday and half of today. I was discharged earlier today after meeting with my surgeon. My surgery is on July 9th. Oddly enough, I am currently not nervous. In fact, I am sort of excited. I think it's the prospect of knowing I will likely feel much better, and will be in much less danger. He reccommended an On-X aortic valve, which I was kind of hoping for anyway.

Thanks for all the kind words, and good luck to all pending surgeries.

I was in the same situation you were, except that I had no symptoms. Born with BAV, monitored for years and finally by Cardio suggested I go see a surgeon for a consult. Everything was decided very fast, and good people here have helped ease all the fears, etc. Let us know if you have any questions and we will try to help as much as we can.

Hi, Geddy, I would suggest that the time other people waited is, perhaps, not a good measure for yourself. Your surgeon will give you his/her opinion based upon your condition. I was a little surprised (no, I was shocked) when my surgeon suggested 6 days. If your condition does not require urgen action, then you will be fitted into the existing schedule but always remember that the schedule is flexible. If your surgeon feels that you should not wait, the schedule will be rearranged. Larry

Hubby found out he had a bicuspid valve August 2011, had further testing in November and December, cardiac cath January, met with a surgeon in Feb and had his surgery May 8,2012. He could have had the surgery sooner, but we'd booked a vacation prior to him even getting his diagnosis and the surgeon felt it was not too far out and that we should go and enjoy it. Otherwise it probably would have been done in March.

I've some other threads, and it seems like a few people had quite an extensive pre-surgery assessment of some sort. My meeting with the surgeon and anesthesiologist was maybe all of 5 minutes. He didn't explain the procedure, but I also didn't really ask anything because I have read, and re-read about the surgery millions of times. I did have some blood work and a urine analysis. However, nobody mentioned anything about any sort of special anti-bacterial soap that I keep reading about. Everyone seemed so nonchalant about it. Maybe I'm just getting antsy now that it's only about a week away.

GeddyLee!
For me, meeting the surgeon was separate from the hospital pre-op appt. At the pre-op appointment, they gave me the anti-bacterial scrub for 2 showers, and the antibacterial ointment for my nose to be used 2X/day for 5 days. Do you have another appt scheduled early this week? If not, call and ask about it.

I agree with CATDOG....if you don't have a scheduled appointment several days before the surgery, I would definitely call and tell them you have not been given anything to bathe with preop and nothing for your nose.

I agree with CATDOG....if you don't have a scheduled appointment several days before the surgery, I would definitely call and tell them you have not been given anything to bathe with preop and nothing for your nose.

Not all hospitals or surgeons do that,(special soap and/or nose ointment bfore you ar admitted) but it certainly wouldnt hurt to ask.
Geddy, since you were just admitted for your heart so close to surgery, what you would need that is usually done during the preop testing day MIGHT have all been taken care of while you were there. Usually beside blood work and talking to the doctors ( I am surprised they didnt discuss the procedure and tell you all the risks etc) , they do a chest Xray, EKG, maybe another echo/ultrasound to check your access points (corotid artery, femoral etc) IF they need them, and things like that tat IF you had them done shortly before surgery already they would not need to repeat them. IF you dont have any appts before the day of surgery, I would probably call just to make sure everything they needed is done, so the dont have to scramble the day of surgery, just for my own peace of mind.

Latest posts

Back