Scar

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Wear it Proudly" were the words that leapt into my mind, too.
Another incision type you could ask about is the "boatneck cut" (my cardiologist's term and suggestion). Mine starts about 5 inches below my collarbone and extends about 5 inches down from there.

My scar gives me the artifical cleavage..that I naturally lack:D

Honestly..I didn't put much on my scar..once it healed I used some vit E for awhile..but it ended up healing in a tiny white line..

Thanks all for the advice! No hubby here so I'm gonna have to ask my parents to help up with the jewelry. I just have to work on not taking advantage. I'm sure everyone here knows how family and friends feel so badly that they will do about anything to help.

The laser surgery sounds very interesting! Luckily my sister in law is a dermatologist so I can probably take advantage of that. How long after surgery do you have to wait to get it done?

Has anyone tried the silicone sheets?

I know this is kind of a silly thread but it is keeping my mind occupied.

Halley, I've heard good things about the laser treatments, although my dermatologist didn't recommend it unless the scar was keloiding or at least 5 years out, still very noticeable, and showing no improvement. Personally think it would be difficult to know if those treatments worked or if your scar would have faded anyway. Mine is a white line and except for one section, has been since a few months after surgery. The one section was right in the middle of my breasts and my guess is that it healed slower because of the pulling (even though big boobs is definitely not my blessing!). The one where I had my wires removed about 5 years ago is only an inch long and also between my breasts. It is a little raised, but I notice it's getting smaller with time. The raised part is now less than a half inch long.

My derm. actually told me the sooner, the better. The laser treatment definitely helped, I had them all 6 weeks apart, so that would have been quite a coincidence. I have olive skin so my scar was just darker than some. My brother has the same skin tone as me and had OHS and his scar hasn't faded a great deal, but as a whole, men don't seem to care as much and also he has hair on his chest. I also did not treat the scar from my first OHS (on my ribs) and it is fading but at a very slow pace. I could actually use one more treatment but since it's been winter I haven't gone back but I am planning on making another appt. Also wanted to mention that the keloid treatment worked like a dream, it went down almost immediately. I don't see why there would be any reason to wait on that. My sister-in-law is a surgeon and she recommended a kind of tape, which had to be prescribed, to help the scar fade, but it did nothing for me, nor did anything OTC. Just my experience, but happy w/the results so I wanted to share. I have seen people who end up w/the white line - lucky you!

I've been using a product called Bio-oil - so far the skin seems fairly supple, but it's still red and intertwined with my first OHS scar.

Personally I'm very happy to wear v-necks - and do so with pride! I'm almost 9 weeks out of surgery and was down at the beach on the weekend with quite a low-cut tankini top. I was hoping to attract all sorts of stares, but it seems people were far too involved having their own fun to notice my nice pink line :D

A : )

I had my first OHS at 18months so I dont remember life w/ out a scar. That one was pretty faded and barely noticeable now 22.5 years later when I had my 2nd surgery. it's strange to see my old barely visible scar as a bright red one now but I am sure I will get used to it. I also have a scar going all the way down my back from scoliosis surgery so I decided long ago not to let my scars affect what I wore, etc. The other day actually I was with my parents and my dad said "well I guess you won't be wearing any low cut tops now" my mom and I both looked at him in unison and said "why not?", he shut up real fast. That said when I do want to cover my scar (first dates, job interviews- times when I don't necessarily want my medical history divulged) I find concealer works pretty well. There is a special kind called "dermablend" that was made for birth defects, scars, etc. It worked really well on my old scars. I have actually used it to very successfully cover my tattoo which is very solid black (beach w/ dad who doesnt know about the tat (the stuffs waterproof too!)) Haven't tried it on the fresh one and won't be for awhile but once its fully healed I'll try it and let you know. I dont bother covering my scars often but when i do that works. I have also successfully used the Y necklace trick.

http://www.dermablend.com/index.aspx

Back