Scar

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccummins

OK, so I know in the whole scheme of things the scar is the last thing to worry about. Well, I've already worried about everything else so here I am. Does anyone have any ideas on how to minimize scarring? My wardrobe consists of 95% low cut shirts and dresses and I can't afford a new wardrobe!

Mederma, Vit E lotion, that's about all I know of.

Wouldn't worry about it too much. Women are sexier with heart surgery scars. ;)

Wear it proudly! In the dog fancy, we call those "honorable scars." I wear low cut tops in the summer, and a halter top bikini, too.

Seriously, unless you are someone who normally gets lots of lumpy keloids, the chance is your scar will be red for about 12 months, with maybe some keliod near the base where there is more muscle tissue-but the brassiere will cover that. That seems to be the consensus--run a search on scar treatments, you'll find lots of threads.

People have used vitamin E oil, and special scar creams, none seem to make too much difference. I used Mederma. Just be sure to wear sun screen when you go outside, especially the first 12 months--don't sunburn a fresh scar.

My scar is great-it would be less noticable if I carried more weight--you can see a couple tiny lumps where my sternum mended under the top part of my scar. Otherwise it's just a little white line. I'm about 30 months post OHS. Even my pacemaker/ICD scar, which was opened twice in 15 months and subject to lots of stretching, is pale and flat now 13 months after the ICD implant.

I, like you, wear lots of v-necks and low cut tops/dresses.

I've had my sternum cracked twice....surgeon followed exactly along the original scar at my second surgery. Guess he liked it as it was his! :) I am coming up to one year post op from my second surgery and am planning clothes to pack for our upcoming warm weather vacation and I will be wearing all my v-necks and low necks and swimsuits.

It is remarkable how it healed. I have no keloid visible (there's a tiny bit at the base of my incision) and my usual clothes look Fine!

There are lots of us whose scars are remarkably unnoticeable.
Unless you know for sure you develop keloids, you have every reason to think your scar could be less dramatic than you might expect.

If you decide to use Vitamin E or Mederma or anything else, please check with your surgeon first. Most will be very firm they want the wound to be fully healed before you put anything on it. Don't want to risk an infection.

I develop keloids and did this time, but only over about a 1.5 - 2" area close to the bottom. I go braless most of the time ;) and I haven't taken to wearing pendants. I have very little chest hair so there isn't much camouflaging going on. I received a cortisone injection in the scar a week ago and so far it has gone down some. I may get another injection in a couple weeks depending on results in that time. I have been applying vitamin E for 4 months and can't say it's done anything. After only 5 months though, my scar is not as bad as I expected.

I've had a scar there since I was 17. The first one developed a keloid and I spent about a year trying to minimize it with the plastic surgeon. I was pretty successful with that one, however, at the end of the day, there was still a scar. With this one, that is almost a year old now, I haven't done anything to minimize it. Granted, it isn't as bad as the last one was, but it is more noticeable than that one turned out to be (does that make sense?). Anyway, at 45, I just don't care now. I wear low cut shirts almost everyday and two piece swimsuits at the beach. I've never had anyone comment on it although I do notice the occasional glance at it. It is what it is. Some people do better with scaring than others, you won't know til it is over how yours will turn out.

Kim

Wear that scar with pride! But, if you want to minimize the way it looks, Merle Norman Cosmetics (go to www.merlenorman.com for store locations) carries a product called Energizing Concentrate. It worked for me with a few nastier scars I've had.

It takes a little bravery the first time you wear something which shows the scar but after that you can forget it, wear whatever you wear now and don't think about it. Initially I bought a few tops which hid my scar but never wear those now, I just wear the V-necks and low neck tops as I have a short neck and v-necks suit me better. A scar isn't something to be ashamed of in fact I like showing it off. :)

I should add that the top two inches does not have a scar because they stretched the skin and then sawed the sternum (I think they do this with women because we are vain)!:rolleyes:

I may not be a female, but I have had a scar just about longer than anyone here. Since 1959 I have had one scar that runs left to right across my chest and since 2006 another than runs up and down my chest! I can tell you that it never stopped me from going swimming, taking my shirt off for any reason around people, or anything else. You just have to get over being self concious about it, its a part of you and its there, just don't let it bother you and no one else will mind either.

Talk to your doctor about a horizontal scar. My outside scar is under by breasts where my bra underwire is. The inside scar is vertical, just like everyone else's. I was only 36 at the time of my surgery and my surgeon surprised me!

Lisa in Katy: That is a great idea. I have never heard of that before. I wonder why more surgeons don't do that.

ccummins: My hubby said that you should ask your husband or SO for a gorgeous necklace when he is in a weakened emotional state seeing you go through OHS!!! That's how I got the necklace in the photo!!

OK, so I know in the whole scheme of things the scar is the last thing to worry about. Well, I've already worried about everything else so here I am. Does anyone have any ideas on how to minimize scarring? My wardrobe consists of 95% low cut shirts and dresses and I can't afford a new wardrobe!

This was/is my problem exactly. If you are vain enough as me (LOL), you can get cortisone injected into the scar (only necessary if you have a keloid), and for the redness, I underwent treatments with a v-beam laser. I had all this done at the dermatologists office. I must be the only one on this site that did this, but it all actually works. My scar is not gone, but it is less noticeable, and I don't mind now if a couple of inches show above my neckline (if it is bothering me I just dab on some concealer). For me personally, I forget the deeper v-necks which I used to prefer.. But that pretty much sums it up, it is a preference and what is comfortable for you. I just like to share that option b/c I had no luck with scar creams. The Y necklace is also a great option as well.

Halley, I've heard good things about the laser treatments, although my dermatologist didn't recommend it unless the scar was keloiding or at least 5 years out, still very noticeable, and showing no improvement. Personally think it would be difficult to know if those treatments worked or if your scar would have faded anyway. Mine is a white line and except for one section, has been since a few months after surgery. The one section was right in the middle of my breasts and my guess is that it healed slower because of the pulling (even though big boobs is definitely not my blessing!). The one where I had my wires removed about 5 years ago is only an inch long and also between my breasts. It is a little raised, but I notice it's getting smaller with time. The raised part is now less than a half inch long.

Latest posts

Back