Scar 8 months out

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To much hair, I can't even see mine....LOL, not to mention I think they used a razor blade. I couldn't believe how thin it was.

Mac
AVR, single by-pass, carbomedics mechanical, Dr. Suri, Mayo Clinic

I'm around 7 1/2 months post op. The top of my scar has been a bit of a problem. the skin was very tight, and tended to pull my head forward, resulting in a lot of back and shoulder pain. I was fortunate to be refered to an excellent physiotherapist who had a lot of experience treating cardio patients, and through all manor or stretching excercises that problem is mostly behind me. It still gets tight, and I still have to stretch it. I think that is contributing to the top of my scar not healing as well or as fast as the rest, and it is still sore at times, mostly after stretching. The bottom of the scar was also very ugly, as it was an open wound for a few weeks after surgery, but that is starting to fade now too.

Gord, you may want to keep it out of direct sun for a few weeks and most docs don't like us to put any sun block on it for a while until it is healed properly.
See how it goes. You may heal fast.
A well healed incision just becomes like any other scar after a bit of time has passed...No big deal. :)

Last edited:
Gord, I was told to keep the incision out of the sun until it was healed over, about 6 weeks in my case. I sail a lot and also have an outdoor occupation so it is inevitable that the scar gets some sun exposure, especially the upper section where it peeks out from my shirt collar. I am now 9 months post op and my scar is hardly visible and I do not bother to protect it from the sun anymore. That also goes for the scar on my leg where they pulled a vein for my one CABG. All the best again for tomorrow, I just know you will sail through it with all colours flying!! The angels will help...

Latest posts

Back