Saw surgeon again today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleowoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I saw the surgeon today for my eight week post op follow up (I think she must have been away at six weeks). She was pleased with how I am. I told her about the problems I had had in the weeks following surgery and she said it wasn't surprising considering I had other health problems going into major surgery. No one said that before. Everything is now checking out okay and she said that I might continue getting some pain for a while. She said I should continue with the beta blocker, but I'm going to check that out with my cardiologist in a couple of weeks when I see him next as it is he who I will be under from now on.

For anyone else who has an Edwards Lifesciences valve: I was given a slip of paper at discharge which is from Edwards Lifesciences stating the type of valve I have with the serial number, lot number and model number. It also says that this slip of paper is temporary and that I will receive a permanent card from my surgeon, but the surgeon didn't know anything about this ! So did others here get a card from their surgeon or from Edwards Lifesciences ?

I have a St. Jude and got the same thing. I got a plastic card from St. Jude about 3 months after surgery.

Hey Anne, I didn't get a plastic card, but I did get a wallet size paper with my valve information. You might want to send and eMail to customer service at Edwards Lifescience. I'm sure they would be happy to provide you with something more substantial than a slip of paper. In fact, it is my understanding they even give tours of their facility, so if you ever make it to California, maybe you could drop by. In any case it is good to see that you are getting stronger every day. Best Wishes to you.

Hi Anne,
So pleased for your continuing improvement, congratulations, another milestone passed
Deb xxx

A trip to California would be nice Chris ! And to see Edwards Lifesciences facility !!

Hi Duffey - the pain is getting better than it was thanks, it's now mostly at a particular point at the bottom of the incision near a rib which I can feel is a tiny bit out of place - probably when they're moved during surgery ?

The milestones are passing Deb ! Yours will too :)
xx

Last edited:
Hi, Anne, I, too, got a little card with the description of my valve with its serial number. When I didn't get a more permanent card, I called Edwards and completed the registration over the telephone. A couple weeks later, I got a printed card. They wanted my name and address, surgeon's name, hospital, date, valve serial number. You can do this by email by going to the patient registry page:

http://www.edwards.com/contactus/Pages/PatientRegistry.aspx

or you can call them and ask for the patient registry:

Within the U.S.
800-424-3278
Outside the U.S.
949-250-2500

It seems a prudent thing to do although I don't anticipate ever hearing from Edwards again. Carrying the card might be of some use, perhaps, should one ever be treated in an emergency.

Larry

I got a card from the company, and I was (and still am) totally stumped as to what I'm supposed to do with it. Maybe it's for warranty purposes, so that if my valve wears out I can get a refund?? ;-)

Needless to say, I don't carry it around in my wallet . . . .

I never got a card with my valve and a few years ago I was turned down for an MRI because the tech wasn't sure if I could safely get an test involving a magnetic field.....That was the first time in 40 years anyone asked about a valve ID card. After some arm twisting with Edwards Lifesciences they produced a card for me. Probably a good idea to have an ID card if questions come up years down the road.......long after your valve model is out of production.

Thanks Larry for the registration details….I will register directly with them if I don't get a proper card within a couple of months :)

The cardiac ward nurse told me to carry the piece of paper, and eventual card, around with me at all times so that if I had any medical proceedure or emergency/accident or whatever, it would be known immediately that I have had a valve replacement and what type I have, even if I'm unconcious.

I have mechanical, so maybe different, but my card has info on it for MRI and phone number for tech to call if needed. I carry it in my wallet.

Anne - I didn't get anything at the hospital, even though they said I would. I called Edwards, and IIRC, they already had the info from the hospital and sent me a card soon after I called.

I also heard that if you have an Edwards Lifesciences valve, if you are in the area, you are welcome to not only a guided tour of their facility, but you also get to meet the team who actually manufactured your valve.

I also heard that if you have an Edwards Lifesciences valve, if you are in the area, you are welcome to not only a guided tour of their facility, but you also get to meet the team who actually manufactured your valve.
Another good reason for me and hubby to have a trip to America…and California !

When I was having a strong MRI the technicians used my card to determine if it was okay to have the MRI. Certain strong MRIs (not the techincal term) cannot be done with certain types of valves.

Back