Running with a pacemaker

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodi

For the past couple years two different cardiologist told me I need a pacemaker, primarily because I am old (74 now) and I have a slow HR. My resting HR for more than the last 25 years has been 40. A couple weeks ago I woke to a HR of 31 and it kind of got my attention. I called my cardiologist, a new one that I've only seen over that last year, and he suggested a 14 day 24 hour monitoring. We cut it short to 8 days yesterday when his office called, doc wants to see you. The monitoring system registered my almost every night (about 3 - 4 AM) with a HR in the low to mid 20s, and yesterday AM at 6:30 HR of 31. Hmmmm. Now his recommending a pacemaker, which after some talking with family nurses, kids, etc. I've decided to do it. Now after all that, does anyone run or ride with a pacemaker? If so what has it done to you and your performance. I really have no symptoms, except for an occasional very light headedness.

Kodi,

I have a pacemaker for slow heart beat (bradycardia) and it does not hinder my cycling at all. It only paces me when my heart rate falls below 50. That never happens when I'm active. My heart rate only gets that low when I'm sitting still for a long time or sleeping. In my case, 90% of the time my pacemaker monitors my heart rate and does nothing to pace it. 10% of the time, my pacemaker senses my heart rate is too slow and it paces me to maintain a preset minimum. I never know when its pacing. Since getting my pacemaker almost 6 years ago, I don't get dizzy and I haven't fainted. Prior to receiving my pacemaker, I had the same symptoms as you.

My situation is similar to Guyswell, except that I'm paced about 30% of the time. Also only paced for bradycardia - resting rate used to be in the 40's, with occasional excursions lower. After my valve replacement, however, my heart rate became very erratic, with pauses of up to 20-30 seconds. Hence the pacemaker. I've had it nearly 2 years now, and after a few tweaks to the settings, I am back to jogging at about 11:00/mile - not far off my pace in the couple of years before surgery. So, I'd say that once we got the settings right, it really hasn't been an issue.

Oh yeah. I've met many going back as far as 20 years ago. There were several on our Cardiac Athletes team at the Baltimore running festival in October. Some ran the half marathon, some the relay or 5K. I don't know if any of the full marathoners had PMs but it wouldn't be unheard of.

Thanks for the responses, that's very encouraging. I decided to move ahead with this and should get a schedule date Monday or Tuesday. As usual, I want to get it done ASAP and move on with life. Will you you posted.

As Jack said Kodi, lots of cardiac athletes with a PM....Phillip in New Orleans just got his a few weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back