Round 2 at 7 years. any other kidney transplants out there??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clfhangr

From Bozeman, Mt Surgery will be in Billings Mt
Hi guys, first post for me here and here is my story.
I had my aortic valve replaced 7 years ago with a mechanical valve and have been going strong since. But on my yearly check up they found an aneurysm on the ascending aorta that was at 4.9 and had grown over a centimeter in the last year.
Needless to say they also found that my aortic valve is starting to leak from what they suspect is the growth of the aneurysm. I am starting to feel short of breath in the last few weeks so this will explain it and it was not the bad cold I had. Now lets liven this scenario up. I am a kidney transplant patient as well and have been going strong for 14 years since my transplant.
So I met with my surgeon and made the decision to get this thing fixed now and not wait until it is over 5 cm and experience more symptoms. Do it now while I am strong and healthy. Getter done!!! My surgery is tentatively set for May 7th. My 14th year anniversary for my kidney is May 6th. Sounded like a good time to get it done.

We are going to replace the whole aortic root and valve. I have chosen to go with a porcine bio-prosthetic for the whole root and get away from the evils of coumadin. I had a minor stroke 4 years ago when my home tester started reading to high and I thought I was in my range of 2.5 to 3 and I was really running 1.5. Not good. Also any procedure that I have to have done I have to bridge my coumadin and that is a pain in the butttttt.!!!! Anyway enough ranting.

My question is has anyone out there had a full root porcine bio-prosthetic put in and how are you doing if so. I am 46 and am pushing that range of should I go with mechanical again. I was told last time that I wouldn't have to worry about a redo if I did but no plan is ever perfect and here I am. I am thinking that if quality can over power quantity I am going for bio.

Also are there any fellow kidney transplant patients in this forum and how are you doing? What were your choices when it got down to it?

Stats:
Bozeman Mt.
Aortic valve replace with mechanical 7 yrs ago.
Up for a redo on May 7th 2012. Full aortic root with valve because of .9 aneurysm and valve leakage. More fun. :eek2: Current choice is porcine bio-prosthetic for full root
Kidney transplant on May 6th 1998.
TIA on January 21st 2008. Evil coumadin. LOL :mad2:

WELCOME welcome welcome to our OHS family
I have added you to the calendar for May 7

Hi guys, first post for me here and here is my story.
I had my aortic valve replaced 7 years ago with a mechanical valve and have been going strong since. But on my yearly check up they found an aneurysm on the ascending aorta that was at 4.9 and had grown over a centimeter in the last year.
Needless to say they also found that my aortic valve is starting to leak from what they suspect is the growth of the aneurysm. I am starting to feel short of breath in the last few weeks so this will explain it and it was not the bad cold I had. Now lets liven this scenario up. I am a kidney transplant patient as well and have been going strong for 14 years since my transplant.
So I met with my surgeon and made the decision to get this thing fixed now and not wait until it is over 5 cm and experience more symptoms. Do it now while I am strong and healthy. Getter done!!! My surgery is tentatively set for May 7th. My 14th year anniversary for my kidney is May 6th. Sounded like a good time to get it done.

We are going to replace the whole aortic root and valve. I have chosen to go with a porcine bio-prosthetic for the whole root and get away from the evils of coumadin. I had a minor stroke 4 years ago when my home tester started reading to high and I thought I was in my range of 2.5 to 3 and I was really running 1.5. Not good. Also any procedure that I have to have done I have to bridge my coumadin and that is a pain in the butttttt.!!!! Anyway enough ranting.

My question is has anyone out there had a full root porcine bio-prosthetic put in and how are you doing if so. I am 46 and am pushing that range of should I go with mechanical again. I was told last time that I wouldn't have to worry about a redo if I did but no plan is ever perfect and here I am. I am thinking that if quality can over power quantity I am going for bio.

Also are there any fellow kidney transplant patients in this forum and how are you doing? What were your choices when it got down to it?

Stats:
Bozeman Mt.
Aortic valve replace with mechanical 7 yrs ago.
Up for a redo on May 7th 2012. Full aortic root with valve because of .9 aneurysm and valve leakage. More fun. :eek2: Current choice is porcine bio-prosthetic for full root
Kidney transplant on May 6th 1998.
TIA on January 21st 2008. Evil coumadin. LOL :mad2:

I had a minor stroke 4 years ago when my home tester started reading to high and I thought I was in my range of 2.5 to 3 and I was really running 1.5.

Which home test machine were you using when this happened? I've been running parallel lab tests and mine has been reading high.

Thanks,
pem

you seem to have done some groundwork and made your decision, i too dont like the idea of anti coags,so agree with you there, am sure which ever path you go down will be the right one for YOU, good luck and keep us informed

I was using a itc protime meter when that happened. I got that meter in 05.
I now use a Roche CoaguChek XS PT/INR Meter and have it checked quarterly with the lab. :)

Thanks - sounds like the CoaguCheck is working for you / consistent with the lab results ?

Appreciate the feedback!
pem

Latest posts

Back