Ross procedure patients???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meganmitch

My husband is scheduled for the Ross procedure on the 1st of December. I've been reading up on it and have some questions for those of you that have had this same procedure.

I've read it takes longer than the normal valve replacement surgery, about how long is the surgery?

Is the recovery time the same as a normal valve replacement surgery?

I know these are questions that need to be addressed by my husbands surgeon, however, we werent even aware they wanted to go with this procedure until registration called. So until i can speak with his doctor, any information i can get would be great!!!

My husband is scheduled for the Ross procedure on the 1st of December. I've been reading up on it and have some questions for those of you that have had this same procedure.

I've read it takes longer than the normal valve replacement surgery, about how long is the surgery?
Yes, it does take a bit longer, they are moving the pulmonic valve to the aortic position and are replacing the pulmonic (in most cases) with a human donated pulmonic valve. Total surgery time is between 6 and 8 hours. By-pass machine time is upwards of 2 hours. Mine was 112 minutes.

Is the recovery time the same as a normal valve replacement surgery?
Normally yes, mostly the same. But the heart itself goes through a bit more trauma with they two valves being worked on.

I know these are questions that need to be addressed by my husbands surgeon, however, we werent even aware they wanted to go with this procedure until registration called. So until i can speak with his doctor, any information i can get would be great!!!
It's a bit odd that you wouldn't know what procedure is being done until you hear from registration.....
Also, you need to be sure you have a VERY experience Ross Procedure surgeon.....there are many amazing surgeons out there that are not profficient in the Ross.....
Who's the surgeon??

I'll be happy to help in any way I can!!!

Turk

I'm pretty sure he is going to Dr.Ryan.

I thought that was an odd way to find out you would be having a Ross, usually that is the kind of things we'd discuss with the surgeon if there were different option to choose from.

I know, it does sound very odd that i heard about the selected procedure through registration. We had discussed it briefly on our first and only vist with Dr. William Ryan (The heart Hospital of Baylor in Plano), but we didnt really go into much detail as there were still more test to be ran. I do recall him saying that determining if my husband was a candidate for the Ross procedure depended on if his pulminary valve was in good shape, something he wouldnt know until he opened my husband up. Because we do not have insurance and my husband is out of work, the hospital required for us to put a deposit of half down for the surgery. In order to determine what half was they had to put us down for a procedure, being that Ross is more expensive and to avoid underestimating the cost, they just put him down for the Ross.

So basically, if the Ross procedure can be done, it will be done. Dr. Ryan specializes in the Ross procedure as well as other minimal invasive procedures, which is very comforting. At the time of our visit with Dr. Ryan we were just trying to find a surgeon and thought that we would remeet with him prior to his surgery, thus the reason we didnt ask too many on the Ross procedure.

Turk- How long did you stay in hospital? Ifyou dont mind me asking, did you have any complications being that surgery time is so long?

Megan, Since you didn't get to spend much time discussing options, since you were still waiting for tests. Did you discuss a "plan B" valve type incase Dr. Ryan gets in there and decides he shouldn't have a Ross?

It's pretty common just to meet with the surgeon once before surgery, sometimes you will see them again on Pre-op testing day, but alot of times you will talk to another surgeon or Fellow then also. Usually we talk alot more about all the plans and details during pre-op day. (you usually meet with ALOT of people then, I think it helps to have all my questions written down and even make seperate list for what I want to ask the surgeon or anesthia or the nurse ect.
I'm just telling you this so you don't worry if you don't talk to the surgeon before or even much after surgery. Did they give you a contact person to call with any questions you might have? Call and ask any question you have and if you think of more questions, don't feel bad about having to call again.

hi megan,
ditto to all of the above. it takes a bit longer than the regular single valve replacement since two valves are involved. recovery is pretty much the same as other valve replacement surgery (other than minimally invasive, which i think is faster recovery).
definitely have a "back up valve" incase for some reason the ross is not an option.
dr. ryan has done many of these and i believe you are in good hands. do make sure you write all your questions down so you don't forget them. and, yes, revisit any questions with the doctor.
wishing you all the best on dec. 1. please let us know how it all goes.
we are here if you need us.
be well,
sylvia

We have chosen to go with the mechanical valve if the Ross procedure can't be done, this was something we chose before meeting with Dr. Ryan. Is it odd that we havent heard from the hospital with pre-op instructions or does that happen the day before? Thanks everyone for your input!

We have chosen to go with the mechanical valve if the Ross procedure can't be done, this was something we chose before meeting with Dr. Ryan. Is it odd that we havent heard from the hospital with pre-op instructions or does that happen the day before? Thanks everyone for your input!

Did you get a date for the Pre-op testing?

Latest posts

Back