Rivaroxaban

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I read today thet rivaroxban marketed as Xarelto was declared by the American Heart Association to be as effective as coumadin for atrial fibrillation.
I did a search and the only thing I came up with was posts from 2006. Does anyone know the story on this drug?
If it is good for afib and clotting I wonder if it would work for mechanical valves. Does anyone know?

Several drugs have been proposed as substitutes for Coumadin but most have been rejected by the FDA because of long-term complications, mostly liver damage if I remember correctly.

My understanding is that Some Drugs have been approved for Short Term use by Joint Replacement Patients but not approved for long term use.

The leading reason for prescribing anticoagulation medication is Atrial Fibrilation,
hence the interest in finding an alternative for those patients who represent over 60% of the market.
Heart Valve Patients represent about 10% of the market and require more extensive testing.

Has the FDA approved this drug for use by patients with Atrial Fibrilation?

And yes, this thread would be more appropriately placed in the Anti-Coagulation Forum.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back