rib and back muscle pain post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edjspi

I'm heading to my second AVR in a few weeks, and my first AVR went fairly well EXCEPT for the second week post-op. I had rib and back muscle pain that was just unbearable. Killed me every time I took a breath... seems like it lasted a few days-1 week. So bad that I hardly remember it now, and it was only 6 years ago. They told me that it was just muscle spasms that happens in some people from the chest being opened and stretching those muscles....

I know not everyone experiences this post-op.. I'm wondering if anyone knows of things that can be done to descrease your chances of having this muscle pain post op? someone suggested using a foam roller to relax the back and chest muscles in the weeks leading up to my surgery...

thanks!
Eddie

Justin thinks for HIM it helps if he does stretches every day before surgery, to be as loose as possible. It is pretty common to have most of the pain be in the muscles, neck and back, from they way they have you open on the table for a couple hours. It helps him to have his neck and shoulder rubbed and if he tries to have better posture and not hunch, because it feels better it seems to help him and ask about when you can start gentle stretches, anything to loosen up your muscles, even doing your breathing exercises (did you have a little thing to blow into acter you last surgery to open your lungs?) every couple hours helps helps stretch you rib muscles.
When you get home, it might help if you have one of the shower heads with the adjustable settings and let the warm water massage your back.

MANY of our members who experienced back / shoulder Muscle Pain found that MASSAGE worked FASTER and BETTER than Pain Medications at relieving those muscle pains. Stretches help to prevent such pain but don't work as well as massage at relieving the pain once it starts.

My experience was that a Mechanical Vibrating Disk Massager (2.5 inch diameter disk) gave almost instant (OK, within a minute or two) RELIEF. You will need an 'assistant' to apply the massage to your Back Muscles :)

'AL Capshaw'

Actually it is an Electro-Mechanical Vibrating Disk Massager (a motor generates the vibration which is coupled to the round disk).

Mine is quite old so I'm not sure where it came from but I suspect a good place to start would be any Pharmacy or maybe even a Medical Supply Outlet. I'll have to ask around to see if I can find a current supplier.

'AL'

Massage is great for helping with post-op back pain. Mine is worse than after my first op, but the masseuse at my chiropractor has been helping immensely. At least the sudden spasms have stopped; those were the worst.
Good luck.

Dan

Back