Results from my trip to the Mayo Clinic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth

I made the trip to the Mayo Clinic out of hope and desperation due to my pounding-vibration issue. I was there two days. Day one I had a thorough echocardiogram and met with cardiologist Dr. Hector Michelena. Day two I met with surgeon Dr. Thoralf Sundt. The good news is that tests show my aortic valve and conduit are functioning well. The bad news is Mayo didn't have many answers and even less help to offer.

• Regarding my chest pain – No answer, just speculation it could be from a cracked costal cartilage in the ribs (13 months post surgery?).
• Regarding my irregular heart rhythm that I've developed – Based on my description and playing a tape recording of my heart when it was acting-up, it's probably "bigeminy" possibly originating from the ventricle where I was cut during surgery. Was told it's nothing to be concerned about.
• Regarding the pounding-vibration issue – The only suggestion by both doctors was using a beta blocker (I've been on beta blockers since the surgery).

Cardiologist Hector Michelena physically examined me and said the pounding-vibration was certainly "excessive". In his report he wrote: "There is no question that this is a prominent closing sound and associated vibration." "He is thin and this vibration is transmitted through the sternum up the clavicles as I have felt. Indeed, this is one of the loudest aortic valves that I have heard" But he told me he has seen vibration in other patients and did not consider it the result of a malfunction. I asked if he had seen it as bad as I have it – being able to feel it in a patient's clavicles? He replied he had never touched a patient's clavicles before. Dr. Michelena personally reviewed the echocardiogram (looks good). During the consultation he had a radiologist review my CT scan (also looks good) there's no sign of scar tissue between the valve and the sternum to transmit vibration. His report states "I do not find an anatomic abnormality by echo or CT that could explain this or that could be corrected surgically." He said the valve is functioning OK. Of course I said from my perspective I dissagreed with that assessment. He said while the valve may be functioning properly, the vibration is "not typical". I asked him about the possibility of a "water hammer effect" being present and he said there is something described as a "water hammer pulse" which happens when there is severe leakage of the aortic valve, but said I don't have leakage. Which seemed to rule it out but then in his report he wrote: "the best treatment for this is to advance his beta blockers and try to reduce the vigorous ventricular contraction and thereby the degree of the water hammer pulse that occurs with the closing of the valve." He said the vibration isn't going to cause wear and tear over time. Ultimately he tried to play the vibration down and said "life is all about perception." He recommended I see a psychiatrist for anxiety. He was very pleased that I was scheduled to meet with Dr. Sundt the next day. I asked him about homografts and he said they don't do many of them and primarily in cases of valve infection because a homograft is the least susceptible to infection.

Surgeon Dr. Thoralf Sundt covered more of the issues I had questions about. Unfortunately he couldn't offer anything new and suggested the beta blocker approach as well. After physically examining me Dr. Sundt said "I’ll grant you that’s the most prominent vibration with a valve closure I’ve ever felt." He also said, "I think the valve is functioning fine, as designed. I think that the vibration happens when the leaflets close. I think you’re right, it never stops because hopefully your heart doesn’t stop, And I think you’re feeling it more because you’re skinny and it’s a big valve. I don’t think anybody did anything wrong, I don’t think the valve is designed wrong, I don’t think the valve is functioning abnormally. A guy your age I would have put in a mechanical valve too. We always put in the biggest valve we can fit because that gives you the best hemodynamics. But its a... yeah, I’m impressed by how much that shakes, how much that vibrates with every heart beat." He thinks the vibration is caused when the aortic valve leaflets slam shut with the backward pressure of blood after each heart beat, and is made worse because I'm thin and have a big valve installed (27mm, is that big?). When I brought up the Dacron conduit and a water hammer effect he agreed that my artificial aorta doesn't have elasticity to absorb the force of blood ejected from the heart the way a natural aorta does, so it could be part of the vibration issue. He said the vibration is caused by the valve and he disagrees with St. Jude Medical who told me the valve isn't involved in the vibration. Personally I think it may be a combination of the valve and the stiff artificial conduit. There's no medical reason to risk another surgery and take out a valved-conduit that is functioning fine. Of course with every heartbeat I don't feel it's functioning "fine" and anyone who touches my chest can form their own opinion but they don't have to live with it. All the same he has corroborated what my surgeon's opinions are. He also verified what my surgeon had told me, that they can't just replace the valve itself. A re-do surgery would require that the whole valve, root, and ascending aorta would have to be replaced and the coronaries reattached again. That's because of the nature of the valved-conduit that was installed. It would be a complete re-do with a 5-10% mortality risk for the surgery. Plus there's no guarantee the results would be any better, and of course things could be made worse in many ways and other problems created. I was surprised he said I may have had some vibration issues even if I'd selected a tissue valve instead of mechanical, though not as much. All the other doctors have said they didn't think I'd be having this problem with a tissue valve.

Dr. Sundt said several times he thinks the course of treatment should be to take beta blockers and reduce the force of the heart beat, which makes sense in theory, but I've been taking beta blockers at high dose since the surgery, that's nothing new. I'm at 150mg Metoprolol now and will probably try 200mg next. I felt he was up-front with me, he acknowledged my vibration phenomenon is the worst he's ever seen... which is something other doctors minimize because they can't change it. He suggested I should see a psychiatrist for anxiety.

I also asked him about mechanical resonance, homografts and the design of artificial aortas.

When I first got back from Mayo I was really depressed. Sometimes I get angry and discouraged that I felt much better before the surgery than I do after it. What makes it worse is clearly this isn't something that can heal or something that I can "recover" from. It's not a bad experience that will end with a cure on the other side. There's only constant vibration. It's hard to accept or have peace with because it never leaves me alone or gives me a break, so there are times when it really gets to me. So how do I move forward? I've got what I've got, now what? What do I do? I don't know, but I'm pushing to have this problem solved for future patients.

As some of you know many months ago I contacted Saint Jude Medical about this vibration issue I'm having with their valved-conduit and put them in touch and my surgeon Dr. Cohen (USC). Because I kept pursuing this problem with Dr. Cohen, and created a survey here on VR.com and presented the results showing him other patients have this problem too. He proposed to study this vibration issue with Mory Gharib (Chairman of the Department of Bioengineering at Cal Tech). Dr. Gharib has a lot of experience testing heart valves in an artificial aortic flow loop. The idea is to put various size St. Jude valve conduits in the loop and also compare St. Jude valves with "aortas" of various elasticity in order to shed more light on the vibration phenomenon. They will also be putting digital vibrometers on patients like me to try to measure the "phenomena". Dr. Cohen wrote to our contact at Saint Jude Medical, told him I knew of other patients with this problem, described the proposed study at Cal Tech and asked if SJM was interested in donating valves and conduits. SJM said they were interested and would participate but they never did send the materials. That was back in April, no parts means no research.

But some good has come from my visit to the Mayo Clinic. After my consultation there with Dr. Sundt I wrote to him requesting that he contact SJM about my case and to ask them to contribute to the proposed Cal Tech study. He forwarded my e-mail to SJM with a note about my valve and provided his follow-up report to them. They responded saying they would provide the materials. Today Dr. Cohen received a package with some valves and conduits, which is progress! But there were no "valved-conduits" (which is the all-in-one piece I have installed). He thinks that to do this correctly we need valved-conduits in all sizes as well as valves in the same sizes and is asking St. Jude if he needs to apply for a grant to do this. So some progress has been made but he doesn't have what he needs yet.

Dr. Cohen thinks we will learn a lot from this research, though he's concerned I "may not benefit as much as we would like" (i.e. no solution for me). I know whatever is learned form this study probably won't benefit me personally, but I'm still very excited about it. The study matters to me personally because I want to do everything I can to prevent other people in the future from enduring what I have. At least there will be some purpose, some good that comes out of it. I believe this will happen through awareness of the issue and research and development and I'm very grateful to Dr. Cohen for his efforts so far on this issue and I intend to do everything I can as an advocate.

Wow - I can really feel your frustration and it brings me back to the 4 years prior to my surgery when I had constant benign arrhythmia that couldn't be controlled. It's really hard to hear "Just try to live with it." when it's something that is so disturbing and I know that frustration (and sometimes despair) 1st hand.

All I can offer is - hang in there. Keep trying to find answers. The suggestion to go see a psychiatrist about anxiety is probably a good suggestion. I saw one - not because my mind was causing my issues, but because the issues were placing a great strain on my mind and my life.

I wish you the best.

I'm glad that you received corroboration from the Doctors at Mayo Clinic and that their influence resulted in more cooperation from SJM. Keep Bugging SJM for the needed parts. "The squeeky wheel gets the grease."

The Engineering Studies to better understand this probable "water hammer" effect seems like your best hope to my engineering mind. Keep after them to keep them motivated. Your efforts to 'raise awareness' was a GREAT First Step to solving, or at least understanding, the problem. Please keep us appraised of any progress.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Seth,
You already know I think it's great that you pushed as far as you possibly could by going to Mayo to see about what is going on with you. I'm sure good things will come out of it for future patients, and hopefully someday others won't have to just live with this effect, as it will be avoided in the first place. It's positive that you have the doctors thinking about this, and I'm sure in the future they will consider you when consulting with a new patient who may be in the same situation as you were when you came to them.

Seth, I've also been told to "deal with" my pounding valve. If I'm late taking my Metoprolol, boy do I know it.
My cardio said that I could go off the BB, but I can't live like that, so I continue to take it.
At the time of my surgery I was 115 pounds, 5'2" tall, and they installed a 21mm valve.
Thanks for sharing your results.

Seth I'm sorry you ended up in this situation. Obviously, it's abnormally normal? If you simply cannot live with it the way it is, then your only other option is to try tissue and of course, you've already mentioned why that may not be a good choice. Wish I had that magic wand and could wave it for you.

Seth, I wish the news had been better for you and that there was an easy solution. I can't even imagine how frustrated you must be. As the others said, hang in there... I'd keep pursuing if if I were in your shoes. I do agree that a visit to a psychiatrist might be a good idea - stress and anxiety are not going to help your heart at all!

Seth, I've also been told to "deal with" my pounding valve. If I'm late taking my Metoprolol, boy do I know it.
My cardio said that I could go off the BB, but I can't live like that, so I continue to take it.
At the time of my surgery I was 115 pounds, 5'2" tall, and they installed a 21mm valve.
Thanks for sharing your results.

My husband is more than likely facing valve replacement shortly. We are going for test next week. Your pounding valve does it have anything to do with you weight and size. My husband is very slight. He is 61, 138, and 5'8", and very small framed.

It you would have had an animal valve would this situation been avoided? How bad is the pounding. My husband is now on metoprolol, and does not like it side effect, and he is only on 25MM a day.

Would appreciate any help you can give us. We already know the life of the valves.

Thanks,
Sandy

My husband is more than likely facing valve replacement shortly. We are going for test next week. Your pounding valve does it have anything to do with you weight and size. My husband is very slight. He is 61, 138, and 5'8", and very small framed.

It you would have had an animal valve would this situation been avoided? How bad is the pounding. My husband is now on metoprolol, and does not like it side effect, and he is only on 25MM a day.

Would appreciate any help you can give us. We already know the life of the valves.

Thanks,
Sandy

Sandy,

If your husband is have ONLY a Valve Replacement, there should be little to NO similarity to the problem that Seth has encountered which is a RARE event, even with other Valve / Conduit Recipients.

Most likely his issue is related to a Mechanical Resonance between his Valve AND the Rigid Artificial Conduit used to replace part of his Aorta. Unless your husband has an aneurism or a Connective Tissue Disorder, he will NOT have his Aorta replaced, only the Aortic Valve.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks,
Sandy

Sandy, I don't think that this is a common situation.
My reaction is probably a combination of small heart size, being ultra sensitive to meds and procedures, and just me being nervous about it in general. I'm sure your husband will do just fine. :)

Thanks to all, I appreciate your response. We have a lot to learn!

Sandy

About the irregular heartbeat: Pre-surgery, I successfully controlled my heart rhythm with the herbal supplement Hawthorne. The dosage was recommended by a practitioner of Chinese medicine (the same person who diagnosed my heart problem in the first place and suggested a cardiologist.)

When my Mayo cardiologist wanted me to use a more conventional medication, I discontinued the Hawthorne, experienced irregular heartbeat once again, and started a beta-blocker. When I had a very bad reaction to the beta-blocker (I am very chemically-sensitive) I discontinued that and returned to Hawthorne. My heart rhythm became regular again.

I have continued to take Hawthorne post-surgery. I may not need it anymore, but I haven't been willing to test it. I'm still recovering from all my surgery complications.

Would appreciate any help you can give us.

Sandy, I am 5' 8" and 140 lbs. with a thin frame. So I'm pretty much the same size as your husband. My mechanical valve is 27mm. I had a bicuspid valve and a doctor at Mayo said the annulus of a bicuspid valve is usually larger so they put larger valves in us. 10 other people on VR.com plus myself who have vibration issues filled out a detailed survey I created about the subject. 10 of us have mechanical valves plus replaced/artificial ascending aortas. One person had their natural valve repaired and the aorta replaced. One person had the valve replaced and only the root repaired. My surgeon has another patient who had the same surgery as me, with St. Jude parts, who has similar vibration issues.

My opinion at this time is that a person is more likely to have a vibration issue when both valve and ascending aorta are replaced with artificial parts. If your husband is having both replaced, given his body size and type, then I would suggest seriously exploring this issue. If he is only having his valve replaced I'd be less concerned but would still talk to my surgeon about it. I know first hand how oppressive this problem can be (as do some of the people who answered my survey). There definitely needs to be more awareness that this problem exists and requires a solution. Otherwise I have little doubt vibration will continue to be introduced into new patients.

Seth,

I really admire what you've done to help yourself here. I'm just sorry you haven't gotten anything yet that will actually help with the vibration.
I have just recently seen a therapist to deal with anxiety and even just the first session helped me, I think. So I wish the same for you.

Seth, what a wonderful resource you are going to be to so many people. My hat goes off to you for what you and these doctors you've help get involved are going to do. Hopefully these tests will provide some answers to the small number of people who have this problem and are usually forgotten about because they are a small group. Keep us up to date on this.

For you, individually, it must be hard to handle. This may sound a little far out to you, but have you considered meditation to at least find a place you can go to escape from the pounding for a while. Alot of people teach meditation, but if you can find a really good one to work with for a while, you might be able to find some peace or maybe be able to sleep better, etc. At this point, whatever works would probably be good.

Thinking about you! Midge

Kudos

Kudos

Dear Seth, I too, really admire you for the way you have handled this. It doesn't look like you will get much relief from your symptoms, but your insistence, and persistence will certainly help others in the future. Take some time to review all your great work. You have presented the facts very well, and done your best to investigate them. This is no small task! The fact that you have gathered so much information is a great contribution, both to science, and to future valve replacement patients. Please take stock of your accomplishments, while it won't help your symptoms, it should give you some satisfaction that you really have done your best. Not many can say that. Your valve brother, Brian

Thanks everyone.

Al, did you read Dr. Sundt's response to the questioning related to the artificial aorta and mechanical resonance? It is probably more a question for Mory Gharib at Cal Tech with his Bioengineering background.

Cris, I will continue to pursue answers and will reserve some hope that, not only will there be advancement, but there will be a solution for me as well.

ponygirlmom, thanks for the advice on hawthorn. I was first told about it from my former boss, who takes it for heart health, so when you told me about it helping you with rhythm issues I got some. I've been taking it for several days now, I'll see if it helps me too.

Karlynn, Melissa and Midge, my surgeon recommended I try hypnotherapy so I was going to a psychologist and trying that. It was basically meditation guided by him. He said the key was to learn to do self-hypnosis, in other words meditate at home, to try and catch anxiety before or when it starts. Once anxiety really kicks-in the bio-chemicals are already released and flowing and meditation is like closing the gate after the cows get out, it's too late. At that point it is best to go for a walk to try and burn it off. The meditation didn't help with the vibration issue you but did help a little with anxiety. It's hard to meditate with this thing slamming me in the chest and throat.

Brian, thanks for your kudos. Now it's back to waiting and trying to figure out what approach I can take to get results if SJM doesn't supply what we need. I'm at the center of making this happen but I feel so powerless because I'm not a professional, I'm not associated with a hospital a university or a corporation, I'm not an expert at anything. I'm just an invested advocate for understanding and change of this problem. Because this is happening to me it gives me some authority on the subject. I'm a reason, a reminder, I'm the one who can't just walk away from this. That's why I don't just give up and try to accept it, that's why I don't go away.

Latest posts

Back