Resting pulse post surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman

Does anyone recall how long it took their resting pulse to come back down post surgery? When I was a more active runner, my resting pulse was in the mid 60's. Prior to surgery (I had gotten a bit running lazy for a year), my resting pulse was around 72, normal as normal can be.

Since my surgery on the 15th, my pulse as hovered around 100 bpm, I take lopressor, 25 mg twice daily to help with this. However, I'd like to see it start to come back down on it's own. My walking has improved to once per day. The past two days I did 1.5 miles and today I walked 2 miles (probably more aggressive than I should have been, but I made it). My pace is about 3 mph. Walking on a flat surface is fine, but any incline at all is a killer right now. Unfortunately my only way home is up an incline.

Did anyone track this closely, or was it just something you noticed after a while and couldn't say when it started to come down?

Resting Heart Rate

Resting Heart Rate

Recovery is different experience for everyone because the healing process varies from individual to individual. The elevated resting heart rate is normal after putting the heart through the trauma of OHS. As you recover and engage in some rehabilitation activities, you should see your resting heart rate drop.

I worked at rehab stuff pretty hard and managed to return to my normal resting rate within several months. My resting rate continued to drop as I continued a good post-surgery exercise program.

-Philip

For me, it took a little under 2 weeks for the resting rate to come down
from about 100-110 to 85 -90. However with moderate activity(like walking)
it would rise to 120-130 and this stuck with me for a month or more.
I think the reason this happened in my case was because of not keeping to
a steady exercise schedule.
Now, a year and half post, my resting rate is around 70, it only jumps to
130 when I am doing strenuous exercise. And you are just like most of us
with walking on an incline or steps- its very tiring at first,just take it slowly.
Best wishes-Dina

Im just over 2weeks post op, and mine is still hi at around 95. Used to stay in Mid 50s to mid 60s

For me, it was 3 - 4 months before my resting HR was back down in the 60s, as it was pre-surgery.

You will continue to see improvements in the way you feel for at least a year.

Post op resting HR

Post op resting HR

Did anyone track this closely, or was it just something you noticed after a while and couldn't say when it started to come down?

Did I ever...and still do, as I did before surgery when it was 48+ or - a couple beats. I'm 13 mths post op and my resting HR is in the mid - upper 50s. I suspect it's there to stay as I'm pretty close to the conditioning I had right before surgery. It took several months to get into the low 60s on a regular basis, gradullay dropping from the 80s 3 days post op to 70s within a couple weeks and then 60ish within 3 weeks, but that was due to being on a low dose of Metoprolol. I went off the Metop. at 3 mths and it went back up to 70ish. From there it came down steadily to where it is now. As you've read, everyone is different.

It's reassuring to see so many with similar high rates after surgery. I was 60-70 pre-surgery, and 100-105 post-surgery. It has been 3 months now, and it's still usually in the 90s, recently high 80s, even though I have exercised almost every day, and have gotten relatively close to my pre-surgery exercise levels. So it's slowly healing and getting back to normal. I just have to be patient.

I am on Carvedilol, a beta-blocker like Metoprolol. It's not as effective at lowering the resting heart rate, but has a better track record overall, according to my cardio. The Carvedilol puts more a damper on my max rate, than lowering the resting rate, so I am looking forward to getting off it. How many hours since I took Carvedilol can make up to 20 bpm difference in max pulse. (135 - 155).

After surgery mine was around 100 for a few weeks ... before surgery it was around 80 ... now nearly 4 years later it is around 68 ... I am on 25mg of Toprol but I attribute the lower rate to losing weight and a healthier life style....

Mine took a few weeks to drop below 100, and a few months to return to 60.

Latest posts

Back