Resting Heart Rate Dropping

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have noticed over the last few days that my resting heart rate when I get up in the morning has dropped from around 55 to 46 this morning - dropping about a couple of beats a day over the last few days. I have an appointment with my Internalist on Friday but just wondered if anyone else had experienced this type of a drop? I saw my GP last Friday and she acknowledged that my heart rate was fairly low. I am on what I understand to be a pretty large dose of Metoprolol (225mg/day) and will be asking the Internalist if this can be reduced.

I'm quite sure that your Metoprolol will be reduced, as long as your BP is behaving.
For dose reductions, make sure to reduce it gradually; over several days or even a couple of weeks.

I also think you should have your Topral XL reduced that is a lot! I only take 50mg a day been on it for over two years, it also puts belly fat on you! Good Luck!

That seems a pretty large dose. Undoubtedly the Metaprolol is at least contributing to the low heart rate. Not indicated why you're on it and why you're on such a large dose. I think you should ask why you're on it, and why you're on such a large dose. As indicated, you should taper off of it gradually, not all at once.

my understanding is that beta blockers lower the high end -- put a limit on how
fast your heart beats during exercise, and there is no effect on the resting rate.

what was your resting heart rate when you were released? how about before surgery?

(mine was about 50 pre-op, 100 post-op, 90 at three weeks, now 80 at six weeks.)

my understanding is that beta blockers lower the high end -- put a limit on how
fast your heart beats during exercise, and there is no effect on the resting rate.

Not true. I take 25 mg of Metoprolol per day (half a tablet twice a day) specifically because my resting heartrate is (and always has been) high. That little bit of Metoprolol brings down my resting heartrate between 15 and 20 BPM.

A week after surgery I had about 9 hours of A-Fib in the hospital. They gave me Digoxin to settle me and then the Metopralol to keep me regular:D! I was not aware of the dosing range for this drug while in hospital so did not have any discussion about it - since then my GP has postulated that it is due to my size - 6'2" 230lb. Before surgery my resting heart rate was around 60, after surgery I remember seeing my resting rate at 80-90 in the first week. Since leaving hospital I have been running around 55. Over the last few days my resting rate has dropped as low as 46 - it was back to 49 this morning. My BP is running at 120/60, which is higher than pre-op when I was generally 105/55 (although I was on double the dose of Ramipril than now i.e. 10mg rather than 5mg now).
I see the visiting cardiac nurse tomorrow and then my Internalist on Friday so will have the discussion about dosing and for how long. In consultation with my GP I have already started to reduce the Metopralol, going down very slightly from 225mg/day to 212.5mg/day. Further reductions will be in small increments as I would rather not go into A-Fib again:eek:!

good that you are going to dr to be checked out. bet it's got something to do with your beta blocker. they slow the heart and sounds like you are slower than is good. let us know. Blessins............

Latest posts

Back