Removing Steri Strips

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidh

I am about 2 weeks post op. Incision was make thru right side.
Just wonder about removal of Strips, do you guys remove them or just let them come off in shower. My are still pretty well attached.
Thx Dave

Mine were also very well attached and I left mine on too long....they became an easy site for the collection of "debris", as my nurse put it, and after a few weeks we had to
soak them off and apply some antib cream. Most people have them off by 2 or 3 weeks if the incision looks good.

Hi David,
Are you due for your post op check with your surgeon? If so, have them remove the strips - that's what I did. Truthfully, I was a chicken at the thought of removing them myself. Nita

I'll echo what Bina said. At two weeks post-op, I doubt the steri-strips are holding anything together. At two weeks post-op, the oils in my skin were making the adhesive gummy. If your doctor says it's O.K. to remove them, ask about the best way to remove them without tugging at the incision (baby oil, soap and water?).

At 2 weeks post-op, I just pulled mine off with tweezers, toward the center, from both sides so as not to tug on the incision. Then I gently removed the gummy residue with "Goof-off" and rinsed in the shower.

Last edited:
Both my surgeries, I was instructed to remove them at 10 days if they did not come off themselves.

My first surgery, they came off in the shower.
The second surgery, some remained and while in the shower, I gently removed them with absolutely no pain or problem. I was squeamish about doing it but knew if they remained too long, there is real risk of infection. I wanted no part of that.

Get in the shower and gently remove them. It's easy, it won't hurt and they need to go.
Please....... no goof-off. :eek: Baby oil on a cotton ball works beautifully to remove all those adhesive bits left behind we need to clean up.

Baby oil on a cotton ball works beautifully to remove all those adhesive bits left behind we need to clean up.

Jeepers, now you tell me! Had I thought about it, I would used used the baby oil. It sounds like a much better idea.

Last edited:
Sorry to have been too late with the suggestion about baby oil. :)

Maybe it'll be helpful for someone else. I learned about it here some years ago after rubbing a few spots near raw trying to get that adhesive residue off.

Latest posts

Back