Rehab and driving

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurad37

As i wrote in my 4 week post op report my dr said he would prefer me to have someone drive me and only if I had to I could drive. Well I haven't been to rehab because of the pulled muscle even though my cardio told me to go back. So I tried driving there today (first time driving since surgery) and was in so much pain backing out of the drive way. I made it to the freeway and had to turn around at the next exit.

I live way out in the country and about 30 min from Rehab. All of my "so called friends" have dissappeared since surgery.

How many of you went to rehab after OHS? Keep in mind I still walk 20 min a day at home and then they want me in rehab 3 days a week. I'm ready to say screw rehab because it's almost impossible to get there without driving myself which I found out today that I cant do yet. I called the taxi service and they said I would have to call 24 hours in advance and that doesn't guarantee that they will be there at the time you need them to be there. How frustrating... that would be $13/a day.

Also, when did most of you start driving? I'm not sure if it hurts so much because of the sternum or the pulled muscle next to the sternum.

I didn't take my painkillers or muscle relaxers either because they make me sleepy.

I am so frustrated. Do I need therapy? What happens if I don't go? I could just scream now.

Laura, I ended up skipping rehab but it's probably something most people would benefit from. However, if it's that much of a hassle I'd say skip it -- you can get the exercise at home. Just make sure you get your walking in every day and monitor your HR carefully. I wear the chest strap whenever I get on the treadmill or go outside for a walk. You can find some good info on what they do for rehab on the internet and then do it at home. webmd has some good info:
http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/cardiac-rehabilitation-frequently-asked-questions

Hey Laura-
I went to rehab 3 times, my copay is $45/session! Today was my last day. More than anything it helped my confidence knowing that someone was "watching" my heart in a safe environment. Today was my last day, I actally jogged a mile on the treadmill! Sorry your having such a rough time. I would recommend going at least a few times if you can. And as Bill metioned, I too bought a heart monitor for my walking jogging.

I started driving, only when no ride was available or I could not walk, at 4 weeks. It felt strange, didn't hurt, but did not feel good on the sternum, still doesn't. I'm spoiled, I can walk to just about anywhere I need to be.

Hope things improve! Have you tried any of the sports creams for the pulled muscle? Not sure how effective they are but may provide some relief.

Laura,

Maybe you could postpone the cardiac rehab until you can drive comfortably?

I had to be on a waiting list for several weeks to get into rehab, so I was driving by the time I did get in. I am an advocate of rehab. I think it did me a lot of good. However, you can design your own program, perhaps with the help of a good local health club or trainer, if it is just inconvenient to get to. A number of people on here did fine just gradually becoming active without the monitored program.

Still, as I said, I advocate it because I had such a good experience with it.

Best wishes....

I wonder if your cardiac rehab program would be willing to give you a little advice over the phone if you explained your situation...
It doesn't sound good, you stressing out trying to get yourself there can't be helping your recovery.
My cardiac rehab didn't start until almost 8 weeks post-op (my surgeon told me not to drive until then) if I remember correctly...and I didn't have a pulled muscle to contend with!
I would think you should not try driving again until that has improved a bit. Then maybe you can try again. In the meantime, as long as you are making an effort to get out and walk every day, then you aren't going to be far behind.
Hang in there girl.
As for therapy...I'm no expert, but it sounds like you need to vent, and that's what we're here for! But talking to an expert wouldn't do you any harm.

Hope things improve...how IS that muscle pull doing, BTW?

Don't be so hard on yourself!

Thinking of you!
Melissa

Laura,

Only do what you can do. If rehab stresses you out and it's difficult to get to and from, I wouldn't do it. I'm 7 weeks post-op MVR today and I'm struggling to, but for different reasons...I have a 3 year old daughter and I'm home alone with her all day now. Needless to say, I'm crazy busy with her and by the time my husband comes home I'm absolutely spent! I'm finding it difficult to get my walking in...haven't in over a week. So given this, I decided to do the rehab. Haven't started it yet, next week, but I'm already wondering how I'm going to be able to do this....sessions are at 8:00am or 1:30pm. I have no one to take care of my daughter while I do this....so we'll see. Probably won't do it. So I can relate to your situation, although the circumstances are different. Good luck and try to hang in there. (I know, easier said then done!)
Dee

Rehab is good IF you can go. If you can discipline yourself to MAKE yourself push yourself just a little harder then you think you should, you can rehab yourself. I would contact the facility to see if they can provide you with an excercise sheet as for what all they'd have you do and go from there. I started out working on it vigoriously and after a week, stopped. I did not have the discipline to continue.

I wonder if your cardiac rehab program would be willing to give you a little advice over the phone if you explained your situation...
It doesn't sound good, you stressing out trying to get yourself there can't be helping your recovery.
My cardiac rehab didn't start until almost 8 weeks post-op (my surgeon told me not to drive until then) if I remember correctly...and I didn't have a pulled muscle to contend with!
I would think you should not try driving again until that has improved a bit. Then maybe you can try again. In the meantime, as long as you are making an effort to get out and walk every day, then you aren't going to be far behind.
Hang in there girl.
As for therapy...I'm no expert, but it sounds like you need to vent, and that's what we're here for! But talking to an expert wouldn't do you any harm.

Hope things improve...how IS that muscle pull doing, BTW?

Don't be so hard on yourself!

Thinking of you!
Melissa

it seemed to be getting better and hardly hurt until Tuesday when I went to put my jacket on and felt something just tear in my chest... I feel like I'm back to square one. Need some help at night to get up the stairs, need help getting out of bed sometimes. Out of all the muscles in our bodies, I just had to pull that one.

Laura,

Only do what you can do. If rehab stresses you out and it's difficult to get to and from, I wouldn't do it. I'm 7 weeks post-op MVR today and I'm struggling to, but for different reasons...I have a 3 year old daughter and I'm home alone with her all day now. Needless to say, I'm crazy busy with her and by the time my husband comes home I'm absolutely spent! I'm finding it difficult to get my walking in...haven't in over a week. So given this, I decided to do the rehab. Haven't started it yet, next week, but I'm already wondering how I'm going to be able to do this....sessions are at 8:00am or 1:30pm. I have no one to take care of my daughter while I do this....so we'll see. Probably won't do it. So I can relate to your situation, although the circumstances are different. Good luck and try to hang in there. (I know, easier said then done!)
Dee

Thats the other problem... my 4 oldest are in school all day and I have to send my 4 yr old to a babysitter (a friend of ours). School is done in 2 weeks and I don't know what I am going to do with 5 kids home.

Thats the other problem... my 4 oldest are in school all day and I have to send my 4 yr old to a babysitter (a friend of ours). School is done in 2 weeks and I don't know what I am going to do with 5 kids home.

And I thought one was tough! It's almost impossible for moms to be sick, or not well. How does one recover when you have to take care of everyone else? Sometimes, it just doesn't seem fair, does it? :confused:

Your seriously going to need some help.

Ross is right, Laura. You can't go this alone or you will crack or worse. It's hard for mom's to be sick, I know, but I'm fortunate in that I have a loving, supportive husband and mother. I could NOT have done this without them. My mom stayed with us for the first month and my dear husband took a month off from work. Now he's back to work and my mom is 4 hours away and I'm going it alone; it's HARD and I still need help. Reach out! You seem like a wonderful person, someone would love to help you. My gosh, I don't even know you and if I lived near you, I would help. (Not that I'd be much help.) What I'm saying is, there are good people out there to help, but you have to ask. I KNOW this is hard to do, but you MUST!. You can NOT do this alone, hon!

Dee

I second Ross and Dee. I wish I was closer, I'd love to help.
There must be someone close to you that wants to help, but just doesn't know what to do...you were saying that all of your friends are MIA, maybe they just need a little nudge? Or a big one?
I feel for you, I really do :( All this stress can't be helping your recovery.

Laura,
I skipped the rehab, didnt really think there was anything for me to "rehab" from...plus insurance wouldnt pay for it for me. I walked everyday, a little farther each day until I could make it all the way around my neighborhood like I used to before. Using the incentive spirometer helped me a lot because I had trouble for awhile with deep breaths. Hoping you feel much better...sooner than later. And your post about the nurse at the cookout? I'm glad I didnt have her either, I would have socked her one!

Your seriously going to need some help.

Let me rephrase that a bit. Your going to need COOPERATION from all of them. Have the dominate Alpha male in the house make it so! The kids need to have their life too, but it doesn't mean they can't help mom out.

Having said that, I know it's hard. I have a nearly 25 year old living at home that gives us more headaches then help. Still, thinking back to his accident in 2006 and knowing we came within a inch of losing him, I'll take his headaches any day.

Laura,

You can go to rehab after you are able to drive yourself. I postponed mine until I was comfortable with driving. If you do not have to pay much out of pocket, it is worth it. I never felt my PVCs after the surgery, but when they were detected during rehab, I started paying attention to them and noticing them and I would slow down when I have them.

Relax and do not rush yourself to anything.

Good warm wishes are sent to you.:)

My cardio certainly would have approved rehab for me if I asked but I was very disciplined and he knew I was doing plenty of walking daily. I eat a healthy diet and he didn't feel I'd get enough out of rehab to make it worth it. I agreed and did fine through recovery from two OHS in four years. Put in the time walking daily, eat healthy diet and do your best to get adequate rest, take your meds and try to limit the stress where possible.

Walking really is about the best actigvity you can do for yourself to recover. It makes a huge difference.

Laura- If you can wait until you can drive without discomfort, then you might want to consider rehab. It would be something you do for you, instead of the "doing" moms are always doing for everyone else. As far as my driving went, I held off until 8 weeks and that was right for me (but, then, I don't have small children at home). I started rehab at 6 weeks and scheduled at a time when my husband could drive (lunch time for him). Living far out, you may want to wait until you can drive solo without worry....... You might well enjoy rehab, if the hassle factor can be lessened..........

Laura, there's no set time to do rehab, but you certainly shouldn't be worrying about doing it until you're strong enough and able enough to get there in the first place. What you don't need is all the stress and tsuris that getting there causes. You may not need it at all if you can establish an exercise program on your own (keeping a log of all exercise and activity helps you keep track of what you're actually doing), but even if you decide you'd like to continue, by all means wait until you can get yourself there without making things worse!

I originally planned to go for a month, three days a week, but it would have meant a really long drive (on top of going to the Coumadin clinic at least once a week), so I just opted to use my exercise bike. It's worked out beautifully and allowed me to go back to work sooner than I expected to (although I crap out pretty early!). Take it easy, do what's comfortable, and save rehab for later if you end up thinking you need it.

Hi Laura, just so you know; I was never told about rehab by anyone. Only my GP mentioned it.......but that was a year after my surgery and I was already doing everything I needed to do on my own.

I don't know what all is involved in rehab, but what I've read here its a good thing to do.

As far as driving goes, I started to drive at 4 weeks due to a family emergency, it was challenging task indeed. But I bet its that pulled muscle that's giving you grief, maybe you can hold off on rehab for another 2 weeks, things should be better or at least somewhat better by that time.

Latest posts

Back