recovery questions....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starkone

I had surgery almost 5 weeks ago. I could say that I feel better but there are still so many issues! and the issues seems to change from day to day.
Last week I had terrrible pain in the chest....in the left breast and mainly on inhalation. I went to doc and he sent me for echo, and blood work. The echo tech hinted that all looked good. He put me on mega doses of motrin for pain (prob some pericarditis). Anyway that pain is gone and now I am just plain short of breath. I was walking almost 4-5 miles (different times of the day) but I cut that down cause maybe it was overdoing it.
So my question is....when does this end. Is shortness of breath the norm, is tiredness the norm...for how long? I read and read on this site and I feel that most go through this but when does it end. Also the pain in shoulders etc. It makes me almost angry...you would think they could be a little gentler with you!
I also had the complication of the 4-5 anuerysyms in the groin...you should see that sewing job. It is very lumpy and hard and plain painful. I think the chest looks great! Does everyone kind of get a protrusion at the top of the incision in the chest?
Sorry this is so long....I just need to get it off my chest.....no pun there! :D
Thanks for any input. I have been quiet too long.
Kaj....tell me where you are in recovery?
Karen

Dear Karen,
Maybe 4-5 miles is pushing it at 5 weeks out. Dick was up to about 3 miles when he went to his 6 week check-up with Dr. Cohn. The pain in his shoulders and back lasted quite a while- I would say it was a good 8 weeks before he was sleeping through the night. He never experienced any shortness of breath, but I have heard others complain of that on the forum. The chest incision never bothered him and today you can hardly see the scar, but there is a slight protrusion at the top of the incision.
So sorry about the groin issue- that never should have happened! Don't push the recovery- it should all come in time amd I hope this helps. :)

hang in there

hang in there

Hang in there Karen,
I know what you mean about the groin scar.. mine is still crooked but has lost alot of the stiffness. My only gripe is the loss of feeling I have around the area ( Blood Clots ). As for the walking I don't know as I lasted only a week at home when I was hospitalized again because of the fluid build up in my lungs.. was practically drowning internally. It's been a bit over 7 months now and I am doing well. I still am sore in my chest and left sholder, but take non-asprin to dull the pain. As for the scar on the chest... yes mine is protruded too, about 2 inches worth and the rest is fading away. I have given up on hiding it, perhaps the site of a 32 yr old will a "zipper" will help someone.. that and the fact that I cannot wear t-shirts all the time.
I have also worked on releaving all the stress I can from my life. NOt to say there isn't the same amount, but that I have quit trying to control my environment all the time, and just do what I can when I can and accept the rest.
I have noticed that very few people here have the "Same" diagnosis and that nearly every case/story is different. Best I could say is discuss this with your Primary Care Giver.
Regardless, keep your spirits up as best you can and know that you have
"Tomorrow" to work with.
Brightest of Blessings,
Rachel
starkone said:
I had surgery almost 5 weeks ago. I could say that I feel better but there are still so many issues! and the issues seems to change from day to day.
Last week I had terrrible pain in the chest....in the left breast and mainly on inhalation. I went to doc and he sent me for echo, and blood work. The echo tech hinted that all looked good. He put me on mega doses of motrin for pain (prob some pericarditis). Anyway that pain is gone and now I am just plain short of breath. I was walking almost 4-5 miles (different times of the day) but I cut that down cause maybe it was overdoing it.
So my question is....when does this end. Is shortness of breath the norm, is tiredness the norm...for how long? I read and read on this site and I feel that most go through this but when does it end. Also the pain in shoulders etc. It makes me almost angry...you would think they could be a little gentler with you!
I also had the complication of the 4-5 anuerysyms in the groin...you should see that sewing job. It is very lumpy and hard and plain painful. I think the chest looks great! Does everyone kind of get a protrusion at the top of the incision in the chest?
Sorry this is so long....I just need to get it off my chest.....no pun there! :D
Karen

For exercise, try to go by the day, rather than by a schedule. While recovering, some days you're full of energy, other days you're full of beans. Based on you saying you do your mileage over the course of several walks during the day, you are at least partly following that pattern already. Just don't force yourself as much on the bad days.

Don't power-walk, either. You would think that you're building your muscles back up, but you're actually pushing your heart too much too soon. It isn't healed yet. For a perspective, your chances of a stroke or endocarditis are higher for two to three months after a "standard" AVR (six months if part of the aorta is repaired or replaced). Both these risks are tied to unhealed epithelium at the surgical site. So you need to realize it hasn't had time to heal yet. It's a busy part of the body, always moving.

It takes time, Karen. You can't push it and make it happen. It's like puberty, except that you can flow with this for a few months instead of it dragging you around for several years. The shortness of breath should abate as your heart both calms down and tries to resize a little smaller.

I have a little lumpiness at the top of my scar, and a more noticeable lumpiness at the bottom, so it sounds normal.

I did have one incredible event, about 4-6 weeks out, which was a full-scale costal clamp-down. My rib cage literally clamped down on me, making it physically impossible to draw more than half a breath. It was like the devil had his foot on my chest. If I hadn't known what it was, I would absolutely have believed it was a heart attack.

It lasted for about fifteen minutes before beginning to ease up. Like a charlie horse across your whole rib cage, except you can't walk it off. Never happened since. Think back as to whether your pain could have been the result of a combined mutiny of the small muscles (intercostals) on the rib cage.

What they did to your leg is just awful. The sum situation would make me a little cranky, too.

The best thing for the shoulder/back pain is movement. Stretch gently, extend your range. Not exercising - just loosening up. Of course, a massage is nice too, but they can be difficult to come by.

Sooner than you realize, you will be able to return to your routines, excerise as you want, and have your body do what you tell it to again. For now, though, you've got to listen to it a little more. Patience...

Best wishes,

Chiropractor visit????

Chiropractor visit????

This may not be for everyone. Before surgery I consulted my chiropractor. I have some problems with my neck and both sholders on a kinda regular basis. She said that if after surgery I had a lot of discomfort give her a call. I waited about 2 weeks and made an appointment. She "very gently" adjusted my neck, and massaged away some very sore muscle spots. She did not lay me down on my stomach but worked on me while in a sitting position. I had been dealing with some serious soreness in sholders and back. Since my visit those problems are gone, and sleeping has been much easier. As I say, this is probably not for everyone, I have a very good relationship with the chiropractor and trust here completely. "Gentleness is the key". My recovery is going well, I visit my surgeon and cardioligist today for the first time since surgery. Hopefully they check me out and find no problems. My only concern is that I may have been over doing it a bit, sitting around gets old and Television is a vast wasteland. God Bless in your recovery.......charlie b

Thanks so much....

Thanks so much....

Thanks so much for your replies. I guess I am very impatient with this whole thing. It sure does help to hear that all of this is normal.
I find it really amazing how your strength and attitude can change from day to day. I also feel a little guilty cause my husband is still having to drive me around! That ends soon so it should help.
I am lucky that I have been sleeping like a log since day one! Since I was flat out on my back for 5 days in ICU sleeping on my back isn't a problem! Of course I have LOTS of pillows!
Thanks again for all the replies.....I feel better already...it is a new and beautiful day! Florida is at its best in April!
Hugs,
Karen

Hello Karen,

Your recovery sounds a lot like mine, a little on the high side of normal :( Recovery seems to come in stages. The first two weeks are the pitts, everything aches and you are SO weak. Stage 2 lasts about 6 weeks (for most people) when they can begin to move about but still get tired very quickly.

Did you receive an "incentive Spirometer" for your Breathing Exercises? IF not, ask your surgeon or hospital for one, or an Rx for one. I was told to use it for 10 minutes every two hours to help reinflate my lungs and push out the fluids that were collecting between my lungs and chest wall. I could actually FEEL the fluids being squeezed out on LONG DEEP Breaths (inhaling). If you don't or can't get the Spirometer, just practice taking deep breaths on the above schedule. It takes time, but breathing DOES get better. I also had some breathing PAIN which was (finally) diagnosed as an inflamation of the chest wall, presumably from there a chest tube had irritated the lining. My cardio prescribed an anti-inflamatory (even while I was on Coumadin) for 1 week and that got me back on the road to recovery.

Regarding back and shoulder muscle aches and pains, I had an INTENSE pain that could come along quite quickly in the long muscles between my shoulder and lower back. I found that MASSAGE, either hand or vibrating disc massager, relieved that pain MUCH FASTER and BETTER than pain medication.

I recommend that you see if your insurance will cover Cardiac Rehabilitation and if so, get an Rx from one of your Doctors. My rehab center had what I called 'arm cycles', sort of like a bicycle crank that you turn with your arms. That machine REALLY worked my sore shoulders back into shape. I used the treadmills, rowing machines, and elliptic 'walker' for my cardiovascular exercises.

Bottom Line: Cardiac Rehab did wonders for my recovery. Best wishes with yours.

'AL Capshaw'

Karen

Karen

You may be feeling better, but your body is still adjusting to things. And your lungs are also trying to heal with your heart. Just slow down for a few more weeks, then build yourself up. You don't have the stemina yet and it takes time to get that bak to normal. Just let yourself health and don't push it. You will be able to walk more fairly soon. Doing quite well though for rive weeks. Take care and slow down a little.

Another blip

Another blip

I didn't say much earlier cause I wasn't sure....but last week I went to PCP for check up. At the time I was having alot of chest pain on inhalation, and some additional (new) shortness of breath. Anyway, they sent me for an Echo to make sure things were good with the valve and to check for pericarditis. At the time, I told him he should do blood work cause my guess would be anemia. So...the good news is no pericardial effusion? but pretty bad anemia . He says eat meat (which I havent done in 3 years) and take iron pills. At least it explains my being more tired than I was two weeks ago.
I hope this works.....I read on the site and see that anemia isn't uncommon...questions is how long does it take to get some red cells back to work?
Thanks again,
Karen

Hi Karen,

Thank you for asking. You asked several good questions. I do not have the experience to answer them ;). I am doing okay, under the circumstances :D.
At least I am here to respond to your post :). My chief complaints are my tiredness, my stomach and my back. I could be wrong, but I attribute the tiredness to being beaten like a rag doll during surgery. My stomach feels like there is mud in it. On April 13th, I had a check-up with the cardiologist. He attributed the stomach problems to the ammidronne. He cut down the dosage. He hopes to completely take me off of it in a month. My back often feels like it was run over by steam roller but it happens only at night. The past couple of nights it has felt better. The physical therapist said my back has muscle spasms. When he comes tomorrow, he will give me back masagge. He said that should take care of it. The cardilogist also cleared me to drive and go out into public again (look out world) :). In addition, he said I could go back to work full time on May 2nd. Walking 4-5 miles a day seems long. I usually walk about a mile and that is all at the same time.
Do you still get emotional at times? I usually do fine until someone welcomes me back or tells me they have been thinking about me and praying for me on a regular basis.

Please continue to keep me posted on your recovery. I sure hope things start to go smoother for you.

Karl

starkone said:
Karen

What they said.

I'd slow down some, take it easy.

Patience is a virtue.

I had good old-fashioned split-em-open-like-a-chicken open heart surgery, and 2-3 years later the scar really isn't all that noticable, wouldn't be noticable at all if it wasn't lighter than the surrounding skin.

I basicly remember the time after surgery as a time I'm glad I don't. And that's kinda the point for me - recovery was just sort of a painful annoyance for me, and I've forgotten nearly all of it although stuff on these forums occasionally remind me.

Anyway, not only must all things pass, but they actually do!

starkone said:
I didn't say much earlier cause I wasn't sure....but last week I went to PCP for check up. At the time I was having alot of chest pain on inhalation, and some additional (new) shortness of breath. Anyway, they sent me for an Echo to make sure things were good with the valve and to check for pericarditis. At the time, I told him he should do blood work cause my guess would be anemia. So...the good news is no pericardial effusion? but pretty bad anemia . He says eat meat (which I havent done in 3 years) and take iron pills. At least it explains my being more tired than I was two weeks ago.
I hope this works.....I read on the site and see that anemia isn't uncommon...questions is how long does it take to get some red cells back to work?
Thanks again,
Karen
It takes several weeks for your body to recover RBC's, even if you get procrit (which will "jump start" RBC production). So eat well (unfortunately the iron rich vegies will confuse your coumadin!) and be patient.

Regarding the incentive spirometer....There's a limit for how long you're supposed to use it, as it can hold and transfer germs after a while. I don't recall what the time limit was right now, but your hospital, cardiologist or the surgical staff will know.

Best wishes,

Bob,
My respiratory therapist Bob says just discard the spirometer when you leave the hospital. No set time frame, just ditch it when you go home.

Al, you can shove that "incentive Spirometer" (or as I like to refer to it as the year round April Fools Joke they play on us) up your A :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!!! OOOOOPS :) !!!!!!! Family channel. Although I did (and I will swear I never said--typed--it) breath better after using it :p .

I also strongly recommed a Cardiac Rehab program if you can get in. I'm into my second week and am feeling a lot stronger. In addition, they monitor my blood pressure (before and during my session), blood sugar, and put me on a Heart Monitor that feeds my pulse and heart beat to their computer. As my program is 3 days a week for 36 sessions, it is nice to be so closely monitored between Cardio visits. They have a schedule that they follow so they don't push you too hard.

Karl, in answer to your question "Do you still get emotional at times? I usually do fine until someone welcomes me back or tells me they have been thinking about me and praying for me on a regular basis." Yes, even 13 weeks after my surgery, I find myself getting emotional at the smallest things. I've even have difficulty reading some of the posts out loud to my wife :( . We'll have a good cry together (boy, that will scare the heck out of the local eatery) when we meet in May/June :D :D .

Karen, I was experiencing such bad shortness of breath before my surgery that anything would have been an improvement. I had the typical chest pains on deep breaths and sore shoulders and back. It will go away with time. Some seem to take longer than others. Hang in there. That train already went by and it missed you..........

May God Bless,

Danny

Latest posts

Back