Recommendation for a home kit.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Roger,

I can only advise from personal experience but I really like my CoaguChek XS. I've been using it now for about 4 months and am very happy with it.

Jeff

I would go with the INRatio (I have it and love it - so simple) or the Coaguchek XS (similar to the INRatio)

I had the ProTime for my first home machine. I as grateful for the convenience of home testing but it is harder to test on than the other 2, it's twice the size and has an internal battery, which I and several other, had problems with.

The INRatio runs off AA batteries.

I use INRatio and find it very reliable/accurate, easy to use, and it is easy to take when traveling. It is leased from Raytel, a company in Ct.
My surgeon told me that at home INR testing is probobaly the most important thing for reducing the risk of anti-coagulants.
Good luck! I am sure that whatever machine you use will be fine as long as you use it on a regular basis.
Allan

Thanks everyone for your input!

After some research (and your recommendations) I've about settled on the INRatio system.

Roger:

The INRatio is very easy to use.
I got mine 5 months ago, after using a ProTime 3 for 4+ years. I wanted a smaller machine, with user-replaceable batteries. I passed my ProTime 3 onto a friend whose insurance company refused to cover an INR machine.

Roger:

If my INR results are in range for several tests, I lengthen the test intervals.

I took my INRatio to work Thursday, did my test in the a.m. It was 3.1. My previous test was 4 weeks ago and it was 3.5. If I had dropped down toward 2.5, I would have decided to do another INR within 7 days to determine if I was holding steady or was in a downward trend. At 3.5 and 3.1, I'm in good range for a mitral valver.

It's my impression once a therapeutic level has been determined (and stabelised) you tend to see little movement over the coarse of a couple of weeks...is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a newbie...

Roger that is usually correct but we are all different. Myself, I don't think I could go past 2 weeks without making some sort of adjustment, but most people, once they've found the sweet spot, hold fairly steady as you suggest.

All you can do is test frequently for a while and see how Coumadin works for you.

Least expensive INRatio source

Least expensive INRatio source

Roger,
I've gotten tired of paying too much in co-pays for my INRatio, so I've done some hunting. My DH found this medical supply place in Rhode Islandon linem as the best price so far. My machine is on its way here, and I was going to wait until it arrives before posting but here y'a go:

http://www.claflinequip.com

product search hemosense
$758.75 with the extra power supply and lancets. You'll have to get the lancet device at your local pharmacy--and btw, ultra-thin lancets don't give me a large enough drop of blood, so use the 30 gauge, not the 26 gauge.

Test strips were an extra $250 ish for 48. My total was $1000.75 with the $25 off coupon on the top of the page and free shipping.

Don't be intimidated by the "physician sale only" notice. If you look on the right of the screen you'll see a tick-tack-toe board with "brochure" in the middle. click there and print the medical authorization. Have your MD sign off on it with his required number, and fax it in when you send in your order.

I don't know if the carry case comes with it, that's one of the reasons I was waiting to post this link. If it does not, then that is available through Amazon.com for $50. To me, it is worth a little hassle to purchase the lancing device and carry case separately if I am saving several hundre dollars overall!

Given that the prices on these machines run from $850 to $2000 + depending upon where you purchase it, this sounds like a great deal, and Diana, in customer service was wonderful to work with.

The more I educate myself on the subject the more I find studies linking mortality to an out of range INR. I think everyone can appreciate how I feel...especially when my life is in the balance!

I'll have one even if I have chain myself to my Doctors office door!

Thanks!

BTW - I found this fascinating...but a bit long.

http://cardiacsurgery.ctsnetbooks.org/cgi/content/full/3/2008/841?ck=nck#F11

"Patients with home testing were maintained in the therapeutic range a substantially greater percentage of the time than those whose status was monitored at anticoagulation clinics.41,44 Starting self-management early after mechanical valve replacement further reduced valve-related events.38 In the United States, home testing has not become commonplace or popular. However, home testing could certainly be expected to lower the incidence of valve-related thromboembolic and bleeding events. It has recently been approved for reimbursement for weekly testing in patients with a mechanical valve prosthesis or atrial fibrillation."

The more I educate myself on the subject the more I find studies linking mortality to an out of range INR. I think everyone can appreciate how I feel...especially when my life is in the balance!

I'll have one even if I have chain myself to my Doctors office door!

Thanks!

BTW - I found this fascinating...but a bit long.

http://cardiacsurgery.ctsnetbooks.org/cgi/content/full/3/2008/841?ck=nck#F11

"Patients with home testing were maintained in the therapeutic range a substantially greater percentage of the time than those whose status was monitored at anticoagulation clinics.41,44 Starting self-management early after mechanical valve replacement further reduced valve-related events.38 In the United States, home testing has not become commonplace or popular. However, home testing could certainly be expected to lower the incidence of valve-related thromboembolic and bleeding events. It has recently been approved for reimbursement for weekly testing in patients with a mechanical valve prosthesis or atrial fibrillation."

If you've been doing your homework you'll see why it's important for you to do your own testing. It's proven that going to a clinic yields poor in range numbers. Heck when I was going to mine, I was in range 40% of the time. It's due to lack of people understanding how Coumadin works and they insist that they do and they are the professionals that we stake our lives on.

After getting my own machine and becoming self dosing, I'm in range 78% to 84% of the time now. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Thanks Ross - a 50% increase is indeed a huge plus in this game of cat an mouse...

Laurie - Thanks for information and the tip on the ultra-thin lancets! I probability would have chosen the smaller tip...

Thanks Ross - a 50% increase is indeed a huge plus in this game of cat an mouse...

Laurie - Thanks for information and the tip on the ultra-thin lancets! I probability would have chosen the smaller tip...

Once you get to testing yourself and watch how the Coumadin is working with you, you'll start laughing at how freakin easy it is to dose it. One need only to understand the beast.

If you've been doing your homework you'll see why it's important for you to do your own testing. It's proven that going to a clinic yields poor in range numbers. Heck when I was going to mine, I was in range 40% of the time. It's due to lack of people understanding how Coumadin works and they insist that they do and they are the professionals that we stake our lives on.

After getting my own machine and becoming self dosing, I'm in range 78% to 84% of the time now. BIG DIFFERENCE.

There are 2 reasons that Home Testing is (usually) better than Clinic Testing:

1 - as Ross said, not all Clinic Managers 'know their stuff' (I am fortunate to go to a well trained group).

2 - Many / most Home Testers have a higher frequency of testing (every 1 or 2 weeks) vs. every 4 weeks at a clinic when stable. This means that a change in INR is picked up on (and corrected for) sooner than with less frequent testing.

The WORST results come from indidual clinics / Doctors / Nurses where there is great variation in training and often reliance on Out of Date information.

'AL Capshaw'

I bought my own machine with my doc's blessing even though he was a great INR manager.
I've done over 30 tests and have been in range 28 times. I test every two weeks and look forward to it!

Hi Roger,

I test once a week on a Monday morning at 7.00am, I home test three weeks in a row, then I go to an Australian Pathologist on the fourth week. It's free, but they take a larger blood sample, ouch, and my GP gets the results, she likes to keep an eye on me. :)

Jeff.

Latest posts

Back