Recently diagnosed and thankful to the members of this community

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckyman

I am 50, and until 2 months ago, never had any health issues. Just the perfect life. A great job, a beautiful wife of 28 years, and I just just walked my daughter down the aisle. Then I went for my physical for work and they heard a loud heart murmur. I said no big deal I have had that a long time. She said no this needs checked out. The echo showed BAV with an enlarged ascending aorta of 5.3. My family and I was shocked. I consider myself very lucky that this physician assistant that day would not sign my physical card, thus the name luckyman. She saved my life. I have had many test since that day in November and I am scheduled for surgery in the middle of February at Allegheny General in Pittsburgh, Pa. But I want to thank the many members of this community that have helped me understand and learn about this condition. I am very active and hope to lead a long normal life after surgery. And I will be here to give support to those diagnosed with questions just like me. Thanks , Luckyman

Welcome to the forum! Is your surgery for repair of the aneurysm only or did the echo indicate the BAV was in need of replacement too?

Hello luckyman. I also have been diagnosed with a BAV with stenosis and may have surgery in the next year or two. It will be a valve replacement only for latest test results show no aneurysm. I will be looking for a surgeon in Pittsburg for the docs locally use chainsaws to do OHS. Would you mine sharing your surgen's name? You can send a private message it you rather not post it publicly. There a number of good docs in Pittsburg.

Wishing you best.

Hi, luckyman, and welcome to The Waiting Room, the virtual room where many folks await their own turns at valve surgery. My case was not too different than yours. At age 52, while having a physical for another reason, a doctor asked me "How long have you had that murmur?" The rest of the story is in my posts from that long ago time, but you know the story as you now live it. I had longer to wait than you do (I waited almost 10 years), but the waiting is difficult. Just visit here often, ask all the questions you want, then try to just work your plan. It sounds like you've already got the location and general date chosen, now it will be time to choose a surgeon and a valve type. Once those things are done, just stay on track and you will soon be "On the other side of the mountain."

It isn't always easy, but you can do it. Just follow instructions and stay with it. I'm glad you found us.

Thanks for the replies. My bicuspid valve will be replaced along with the repair of the aorta. My surgeon discussed with me the bav is at the point for replacement. I am 90% deciding on the bovine tissue valve. I have 3 weeks to make a decision.

Hi luckyman! I agree, life is good. The people you will meet and learn from here can understand your situation the way few others are able. I have been welcomed, educated, entertained, encouraged, and written to by people in the U.S., the U.K, Canada, India, and Australia! How cool is that?By the way, when I learned that some percentage of tissue valves fail after 10 years, and for me, the second surgery had a risk profile for complications that was much higher than a single surgery, I opted for a mechanical valve.

So far (one week) so good.

Amy

Latest posts

Back