Reassurance please....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalhome

Hi. My husband is post op day one. Yesterday was long. Surgery was much longer than anticipated, because of oozing after the valve and root were replaced. I think he was open 8+ hours, on heart/lung 5+. Needing multi different clotting agents, one caused an allergic reaction. Entire team of doctors and nurses have been wonderful. He woke up well, moving and talking and great to have him back! Today moved to cardiac floor but lots of hiccups with low temp, blood sugars, inflammation. Just a ton of medications! He is taking all in stride. But it is very scary to me.
If you had similar, and made it through these days, would love to have some encouragement from the veterans.
Thanks

Honestly, they do a lot of stuff at first that is soon forgotten, at least by the patient. We benefit from this wonderful drug called versid, which makes you forget all the stuff they do to you. Perhaps they should give some to the family, as well. He's in good hands; trust the doctors, and smile for the patient.

It's a different experience for everyone. For the doctors and nurses it's all totally routine and they forget that for us it's a (hopefully) once in a lifetime experience. If he's out of ICU he's fine! Agree with Jim, it has to be worse for the family. I've been told lots of things about my first day post-op that I have zero memory of but for them was quite traumatic - like my four hour battle to have my breathing tube removed!

Take comfort from how he is dealing with it and know that each day he will get better. In a few months time you'll probably find that you're giggling about some of this. :)

Make sure you get breaks too, his memory of this time will be hazy so you can escape when you need some breathing space without any guilt. He may appreciate time left alone so he can rest - I know I did!

Hugs from down under :)

Think about the future, the things you'll do together.

Get out the phone and call some friends. Listen to them not just wait your turn to speak.

Have a light attitude. My wife was terrified, so she did some fun things.

8391121023_342a90f19a_z.jpg

8391121011_f7fcd54a23_z.jpg

8380796747_38802db976_z.jpg

try not to look at the dark side

post things here ... happy to respond

I have only sketchy memories of my first couple of days after surgery. I remember being totally calm - so many things went "off-plan" for me, and none of it seemed to bother me. I was in ICU for 3 days (I think), then went to the cardio unit for 6 more days before I was stabilized and could go home. Even with all that, I wasn't anxious. My poor wife, on the other hand, was, I'm sure, very worried and anxious due to all the complications I had. The medical team described it as "just another day at the office" for them. If anything was really serious, they would tell the family. Otherwise, just relax. It sounds like your hubby's care team is a lot like that. It can seem overwhelming to the family, but trust me, the patient is not usually worried. They are kept under meds that dull the sense of anxiety so that their bodies can begin to heal.

Totally and completely 100% agree with everyone here! As a patient, I really didn't stress or worry about what had happened to me after my surgery...I don't remember everything and the stuff I do remember wasn't that bad.

But before my surgery , I was extremely worried about my husband! The morning of my surgery I remember thinking that I was glad to NOT be in his shoes, I wouldn't have wanted to trade places with him. He told me stories later and I know how hard it was on him to see me after surgery... evidently, I looked dead... he saw tubes, wires, my tongue hanging out.. there were transfusions.....but I don't know about any of that.

I was actually pretty happy about being alive when I did wake up.

Stuff that I had after surgery included; low body temperature, high blood sugar, I also had low blood pressure and my heart was pounding in my chest...all normal!

Sorry I can't speak to you from the loved one's point of view, but please know that the patient is really okay. Please rest and try to get your sleep, I know you've got a really hard job and I think that it's really important that you take care of yourself as much as possible.

Rachel

At my house, in 2004 my husband had a triple by-pass and I agree surgeries like these can make for very very long days. Then in 2008 it was his turn to sit with me while I had my aortic valve replaced. I can say without a doubt it is harder on the family than on the patient. I still remember each little hiccup with him, but barely remember the first few days after my surgery. Things will be fine. Remember to take time to rest. Your health is also important. My husband and I are both local newspaper addicts so one of the things we did for each other was to bring the daily paper and read articles of general interest for our neighborhood. Also watching favorite movies on a little portable DVD player was fun since it kept our minds off of any discomfort we may have been having. Things will get better each and everyday. Best Wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

I know everything going on must seem very scary to you, but it is all very routine in the care of a post op heart surgery patient. They have seen and done it all and are trained to take care of any kind of situation that may arise. I'm sure it is very hard to sit on that side of the fence and see your loved one like that.I think in so many ways it is much harder for our loved ones who are their waiting for and caring for us than it is for the actual patient. I know my husband was stressed to the max. Try and relax and put your trust in the people you hired to take care of your husband's health. He'll be fine and slowly but surly, he'll get back to doing everything he used to do.

I think it was harder on my wife than on me. Take a deep breath, it will be better in after the second day. At least it was for my wife.

When you get a moment, read through this section of anecdotal comments regarding surgery and recovery. I found a lot of great comments that made me realize I was not alone...........and you're not. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. My personal recommendation is to avoid dehydration and drink lots of water. It helps everything.

http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...-things-that-you-found-out-that-surprised-you

Again THANK YOU to everyone that replied and especially DMS for sending the link that really helped put things in perspective. When my husband feels better, I will have him add to the surprised...he has a new one or two to the board but grateful didn't phase the surgical team...today he's looking healthy with a smile on his face, glad to be here! Bless you all.

Latest posts

Back