Radiation - Hodgkins Disease

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbdirector

I received radiation, spleen removed, and MOPP chemo for hodgkins in 1978. I found out that I have aortic stenosis a couple of years ago and was told by my doctor that surgery was too risky because of a calcified aorta in April 2008. Since then, I have been receiving medicine treatment to control the symptoms. I seem to do fine unless I get a cold. I don't seem to get over them without going to the doctors and receiving medicines, namely antiobiotics.

I live in Mississippi and I am currently visiting my family in the DC area. I went to the Emergency Room and was hospitalized at Johns Hopkins on Dec. 22 for chest pains and asthma and SOB. I thought I had pneumonia because I have been suffering with a cold and cough for the past 2 weeks. But the CAT scan results reported that it was scar tissue they saw in my lungs and not fluid. The cardiologist, Dr. Feldman told me that my heart valves were a mess and that if I did not get them taken care of - the aortic stenosis would kill me. He felt that Dr. Duke Cameron could do the valve replacement if anyone could. I was released on Dec. 24th. and Dr. Cameron's office is to call me soon to set up an appointment for surgery. Does anyone know or been treated by Dr. Cameron? Do you know of a surgeon familiar with redos or patients with radiated heart in the DC area? I am feeling that it is finally time for me to deal with this and go through with the valve replacement as many of you have done already.

Thanks, bbbdirector

[email protected] - email address

Last edited:
... I seem to do fine unless I get a cold. I don't seem to get over them without going to the doctors and receiving medicines, namely antiobiotics. . .
I'm sorry to read about how things are going for you and hope you get the answers you need. I have no personal experience with your specific radiation situation. But what you wrote [above here] reminded me of my situation last winter.

The hypertensive medication that I had successfully taken for a few years (Micardis) eventually began causing me to develop one of its primary side effects, recurring upper respiratory infections, five or six last year alone. Who'd have thought a hypertensive medication could cause that? Just thought I'd share that with you, in case it might be helpful.

I had Duke Cameron do my OHS

I had Duke Cameron do my OHS

I can say good things about Dr. Duke Cameron and Johns Hopkins! (OK, so some parts of the hospital go back about 100 years, but the surgeries are top of the line!)

I would pay close attention to the advice you get at Hopkins!

Keep us updated, OK?:):):)

Hi, Friend! CBDHeartman (or is it just CDHeartman?) and ColleenS on this list also recently had surgery at Hopkins under Duke Cameron. They each will tell you good things about him and Hopkins. Private message them if you still have not heard from them. (They may not be following the Hodgkins etc. postings, or they may be tied up with Holiday events.) I am sure they each would respond to this link you have started if they knew what you were asking.

Happy holidays!

Latest posts

Back