Questions About Cleveland Clinic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puckparent

I'm meeting with my cardiologist Monday to discuss scheduling my aortic valve replacement surgery for the fall. My son had his OHS by Dr. McCarthy at Northwestern in the spring. We were very pleased with Dr. McCarthy and he had a fantastic recovery but we were not happy with the care he received by the nurses in both the ICU and cardiac step down floor and the fact that he was rarely seen by a cardiologist. Our cardiologist is not on staff at Northwestern. I am thinking of going elsewhere to have my aortic valve replaced and would like to meet with surgeons who do minimally invasive surgeries.

For those who have had their surgery done at Cleveland Clinic, were you happy with the care and attention you received after your surgery? Who was your surgeon and does he perform minimally invasive aortic valve replacement? One last question, since I live in the Chicago area, would it be hard or painful for me to travel home after being dismissed from the hospital.

Thanks. I am torn if it is beneficial to go to Cleveland vs the cons of traveling so far and lack of family support for my husband while I am in the hospital.

As with most things, it comes down to managing expectations. If you expect one thing, but another happens, your expectations are not met. If you need to see a cardiologist x times per stay, you better discuss that with someone up front.

I believe you will receive the appropriate amount of care from the CCF. In fact, it will be amazing. The CCF is definitely world class care. Everyone is very caring. As with any place, you will hear good and bad stories. But if you want to see a Cardio more than once a day, they may fall short of your expectation.

As for travel, mine was a 20 minute drive home. There are many here who have traveled much further and can advise about that.

Scott

When you are in the hospital after heart surgery, you are under the care of your surgeon, not typically your cardiologist. I had my surgery at the Mayo clinic and my cardio did come to see me several times, however, it was more of a social type visit than being there to oversee my care. In fact, she never checked my chart or anything when she would come by. She would just sit on the bed for a while and chat. However, my surgeon and his staff visited a couple of times a day and answered any questions and directed my care. I think you might find this to be the norm no matter where you go.

Bad nursing care is another subject altogether and if that's not acceptable, I would look elsewhere as well.

I traveled from MN. to NC about 1.5 weeks post op by plane without any problems.

Kim

Have you addressed your concerns with anyone at Northwestern? I. too. had my surgery there and I was generally satisfied with the care all through the process. The "link" to my cardiologist was smoething that I managed myself. When I told Dr. McCarthy that I had chosen Northwestern for my surgery, he assigned a Northwestern cardio to be in charge of my care while I was there. I put her in touch with my "local" cardio, and things worked rather smoothly. It probably has a lot to do with how both cardio's choose to cooperate. That is, as long as you have a cardio at Northwestern. Did your son have one?

If there is no way you would choose Northwestern again, I can tell you that my second choice in the Chicago area was Dr. Schwartz, at Loyola Medical Center. It was a tough decision, but in the end I went with McCarthy because I was afraid of complications in my case, and had heard really good things about Dr. McCarthy and his team.

Yes, I would agree that the surgeon visits are more important in the hospital. At Stanford, one of my surgeon's assistant, the Chief Surgical Resident came to see me at 7am daily. A cardiologist at my HMO also came daily, later, and it seemed more of a social visit as well from a nice, older gentleman. My own cardiologist came to see me a couple of days after my surgery, but I was sleeping, and he didn't want to awaken me. He was not rotating at Stanford that week, but came in to check on me. That was, I felt, a nice thing to do, as he didn't even have to do that, it wasn't his week. However, after you get home, your cardio will want to see you promptly. My surgeon, Dr Miller, gave my cardio complete control over my at home recovery. He respects my cardio and didn't need to see me again. I was fine with that, although I would've enjoyed talking over my surgery with him.
Again, mention all your concerns with your Doc. If you must see your cardio daily, schedule your surgery the week he or she is doing hospital rounds.

The more clearly you make your needs and wants known, the better chance you have for the experience you hope for. Most of these surgeons, in addition to being so skilled in the OR, want the best possible experience for their patients.

When I was at Mass General for pre surgery testing etc before my second OHS, one of the doctors asked me what was my worst memory from my first surgery there. When I answered, he sincerely said he would try his best to see I did not encounter that again...... and he succeeded. The more we express to them, the better they can help us. IMO

Puck,

Sorry about your aftercare experience with Northwestern, but like Steve I had an excellent post-surgical experience there. I'm not trying to talk you into reconsidering NW, just that each experience is unique.

As for Cleveland Clinic, my first surgery there was in '93 and the aftercare was fair at best. In fact, by comparison it paled to NW. But that was a long time ago and there are others on this forum who can give you a more recent assessment.

You're doing the right thing by doing your homework. I wish you the best in these stressful times.

As with most things, it comes down to managing expectations. If you expect one thing, but another happens, your expectations are not met. If you need to see a cardiologist x times per stay, you better discuss that with someone up front.

I believe you will receive the appropriate amount of care from the CCF. In fact, it will be amazing. The CCF is definitely world class care. Everyone is very caring. As with any place, you will hear good and bad stories. But if you want to see a Cardio more than once a day, they may fall short of your expectation.

As for travel, mine was a 20 minute drive home. There are many here who have traveled much further and can advise about that.

Scott

I had my surgery at CCF about 1 year ago, and the pre and post surgery care was amazing.
I completely agree with Scott about the CCF experience, at least in the heart surgery section of the hospital.

Rob

For those who have had their surgery done at Cleveland Clinic, were you happy with the care and attention you received after your surgery?
My experience with the nursing staff in both the ICU and the Step Down unit was nothing short of awesome. Everything and everyone was top notch.

Who was your surgeon and does he perform minimally invasive aortic valve replacement?
Dr. Pettersson, but I'm not sure about the minimally invasive part as I had to have a full sternotomy. The Doc was very accommodating when it came to questions from myself and my wife. He visited me quite a few times post-op and was definitely the one who made the decisions on how I was to be cared for.

One last question, since I live in the Chicago area, would it be hard or painful for me to travel home after being dismissed from the hospital.
I travelled from Pensacola, Florida and that was my biggest concern initially, but it was really quite easy making the flight (actually 2 flights...Atlanta is always a required stop from/to Pensacola...lol). I am 100% certain I would do it again if need be. The only important aspect is to have someone travel with you to do all the things you won't be able to...like wrestling with the suitcase(s), etc.

Hope this helps...post back or PM me if you have any specific questions still on your mind.

Scott

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm still trying to decide what to do but it looks like I will try to schedule my surgery either end of October or beginning of November.I am waiting for my cardiologist to get back to me with names of surgeons at Cleveland and Mayo and then I will arrange to go there.

Just wondering, were there private rooms in the ICU or just beds separated by curtains? Could your family member stay with you 24/7 in the ICU?

Just wondering, were there private rooms in the ICU or just beds separated by curtains? Could your family member stay with you 24/7 in the ICU?

At CCF, my wife was allowed into the ICU 24/7 although she had to get clearance from the nursing staff upon arrival to ensure that I was not in the midst of some unexpected problem. The ICU is really one big room with about 10 cubbies carved out. So it's technically semi-private but I hardly ever saw any other patients during my 8 days there. There are not any sleeping accomodations other than a recliner which was not exactly comfortable for sleep purposes, although it could be done. The Step Down unit is private and has a bench style seat that converts to a simple bed for relatives to stay the night. My wife spent every night with me in the Step Down unit, but went to the hotel while I was in ICU. The ICU is loud and cacophonous every minute of every hour - my Percosets helped me tune the noise out, but it was more than my wife could handle. HTH.

I had my aortic valve replacement and aneurysm repair at the CC Weston Florida 4 years ago. I was not followed up by any cardiologist while in the hospital. I was under the direct care of my surgeon. I followed up with my own cardiologist upon discharge. You have to have realistic expectations. You will be under the care of your cardio-thoracic surgeon, not a cardiologist.
I also have nothing but the best to say about my CC Weston Florida experience. In fact, I drove 90 minutes to get there, as opposed to any closer south Florida hospitals.

I had both an AVR and MVR on June 23 2011 at the Cleveland Clinic the care was superb both in the ICU of which I spent 10 Days due to rhythm problem and another 6 in step down. My surgeon Dr Lytle was technically amazing!! I could not have asked for a better experience. The surgery was very difficult and I was scared, apprehensive and emotionally a wreck. The post op period which im in right now is trying, and frustrating but i see myself improving every day! I feel hopeful,grateful and blessed.I traveled 8 hours from home but for me it was worth the outcome. Both my valves are mechanical On X and carbomedics. I hear them tick and so does my family and most people in close proxcimty to me but i say what a sweet sound!!! Good luck to you
RZG Rachel

Who was your surgeon at CC Weston? And did the lack of cardiologist support make a difference or were all your needs met by the surgeon and staff? Any complications? Thanks.

Back