Questions about an echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilteach3234

Can any of you decipher this. I don't know why it matters now as my surgery is Tuesday, but just curious. Here is my echo:

Good left ventricular function - no ejection franction 81%

Left atrium normal. Right atrium, right ventricle normal. No intracardiac masses. No pericardial effusion.

Mitral valve - mild mitral regurgitation

Aortic valve - calcification noted, mild aortic regurgitation. No intracardial masses and no pericardial effusion.

Tricuspid valve - a trace tricuspid regurgitation. No intracardiac masses or pericardial effusion.

Densely calcific aortic valve. There is evidence of aortic stenosis. Peak gradient 120 mm. Aortic valve area 0.9 cm2 which is indicative of severe degree of aortic stenosis. This is why I'm having surgery here.

I am just wondering because I see so many people on here having to do so many things while in surgery. I am under the impression it's just my aortic valve.

I take it no pericardial effusion and intracardiac masses is a good thing???

Aortic calcification, regurgitation, and severe stenosis definitely need to be taken care of, hoping this will help the mitral valve to become more efficient after surgery. You are lucky that your cardio took action at this stage.

I feel blessed that I've not had any real issues except the transcient global amnesia attack. They are taking action and I am thankful for that; however, I have been very depressed and crybaby today. I am so terrified. I just hate this feeling.

I feel blessed that I've not had any real issues except the transcient global amnesia attack. They are taking action and I am thankful for that; however, I have been very depressed and crybaby today. I am so terrified. I just hate this feeling.

I know the feeling but we are blessed that the doctors found our issues before the condition gets worse. It is very easy to think of the bad things but lets think of all the good, this will be fixed and you will be healed.
God Bless,

TGA isn't usually tied to this. It normally has no known inpetus. Are you sure it wasn't a transient ischemic attack (TIA) instead?

Your left ventricle is pretty enlarged, if that 81% ejection fraction is accurate. The mild mitral regurgitation is probably linked to the backpressure from the aortic valve and distortion of the chamber from the left ventricular hypertrophy (growth of your left ventricle, due to muscle enlargement from trying to push all that blood through such a tiny hole). I'm betting your valve opening turns out to be less than the .9cm² they're listing.

The trace tricuspid regurgitation is immaterial. Trace regurgitations come and go with most people, even without valve issues. Doesn't affect your heart.

Do well with your surgery.

Best wishes,

TGA isn't usually tied to this. It normally has no known inpetus. Are you sure it wasn't a transient ischemic attack (TIA) instead?

Your left ventricle is pretty enlarged, if that 81% ejection fraction is accurate. The mild mitral regurgitation is probably linked to the backpressure from the aortic valve and distortion of the chamber from the left ventricular hypertrophy (growth of your left ventricle, due to muscle enlargement from trying to push all that blood through such a tiny hole). I'm betting your valve opening turns out to be less than the .9cm² they're listing.

The trace tricuspid regurgitation is immaterial. Trace regurgitations come and go with most people, even without valve issues. Doesn't affect your heart.

Do well with your surgery.

Best wishes,

At first they thought it was a TIA, but they ruled that out because mine lasted 6 hours and I didn't have any of the symptoms of a TIA. All of my scans (CAT, MRI, MRA, and doppler turned out perfect). My echo was the only bad thing. I don't understand all this stuff, but sure I will after Tuesday.

Wishing you the best for your surgery. It id hard to keep bad thought out, so you must try to think of the future. Keep your friends & family close. God Bless.

I know you said you are having your surgery at Methodist. I work in the Galleria area, so not that far away. Are you going to have somebody posting for you? If so, tell them to send me a pm if you are up for strange visitors!

I know you said you are having your surgery at Methodist. I work in the Galleria area, so not that far away. Are you going to have somebody posting for you? If so, tell them to send me a pm if you are up for strange visitors!

Lisa,
I would love that. I am going to sit down tonight and show him how to get on here. I will have him pm you once I am in a room. How sweet! You won't be able to judge me on what I really look like though...hehe.

I will be at St. Luke's.

Your Aortic valve has virtually identical numbers as what mine was when I had surgery. Peak gradient was 115 for me, valve area was .9 cm2 as well.

My heart walls were slightly thickened due to the heart working harder than necessary to pump blood through the valve. I go for my 1 yr echo in a few weeks, Im anxious to see how everything looks. My cardio says that the thickening will lessen over time because my heart won't be working nearly as hard to provide the same level of function.

Once you through this surgery your going to be amazed how much more engery your going to have. I didn't realize how crappy I felt until a few months after surgery when I could do all kinds of physical things without issue. Two flights of stairs semi-briskly before surgery had me gulping for air and giving me chest discomfort. Not only can I literally run up the stairs (not that I do, cuz it work), but I can actually run !

Best of luck to you....

Your Aortic valve has virtually identical numbers as what mine was when I had surgery. Peak gradient was 115 for me, valve area was .9 cm2 as well.

My heart walls were slightly thickened due to the heart working harder than necessary to pump blood through the valve. I go for my 1 yr echo in a few weeks, Im anxious to see how everything looks. My cardio says that the thickening will lessen over time because my heart won't be working nearly as hard to provide the same level of function.

Once you through this surgery your going to be amazed how much more engery your going to have. I didn't realize how crappy I felt until a few months after surgery when I could do all kinds of physical things without issue. Two flights of stairs semi-briskly before surgery had me gulping for air and giving me chest discomfort. Not only can I literally run up the stairs (not that I do, cuz it work), but I can actually run !

Best of luck to you....

Thanks Scott.

I am trying to put my energy on all the good things now that it is Sunday night and I'm not far from surgery. I just walked my handicapped son to bed and thought to myself how I can't wait to have some energy. It just fatigues me to walk him and changing his diaper.

Latest posts

Back