Question for Coreg users

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hook

I was on 25mg of coreg twice per day before my MV replacement two years ago. I remained on the drug after to continue treatment of my cardiomyopathy. I was finding the drug gave me some drops in energy after taking it so they converted me to the 80mg time release taken at night. This seems to make me feel worse during the first part of the day.

Anyone else have issues with this drug making you feel icky?

Hi,

I'm on a 20 mg dose of Coreg extended release once a day. Have to say I don't like it, either. I also take a seizure med so between the two of them I often feel fatigue as well as mental fogginess and forgetfulness. Drives me crazy! Yet my doc insists it's necessary to keep my BP low so my aneurysm won't grow. Maybe your doc could change you to another med that you would tolerate better.

I definitely relate, so best of luck!

Todd
I was put on Carvedilol a few months after my first surgery in 2004. This is the worst drug I have been on. I experience extreme fatigue and constant nightmares. After 3 months I asked the cardio to go back to Metoprolol which was much better. I remained on Metoprolol until 1 year post surgery and my heart had remodelled and I discontinued Metoprolol. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't accept long term beta blockers unless I had heart rhythm issues. There are other drugs for blood pressure however it appears that beta blockers are a favoured drug for blood pressure in the US.

I was on Coreg 25 mg twice a day before my second valve replacement. It took me a year to adjust to it: dizziness, blindness in bright light (like you've had your eyes dilated at the eye doctor's), fatigue. Maybe I was up at 50 mg twice a day. I don't exactly remember. I know it was a very HIGH dose, higher than the package insert stated.
I finally got used to it, but still had problems in bright light sometimes.

After second surgery, I went down to 12.5 mg 2x/day. I tried to go back on the 25mg/2x day higher dose to increase my Ejection Fraction, but had too many side effects - and I couldn't run agility. I'd hit a wall by the 10th obstacle. Simply couldn't run. So I'm on 12.5 2x/day for the duration. Coreg has been proven to extend the lives of heart failure patients, and I've minimized the side effects.

Latest posts

Back