Question about Multaq

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halleyg

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi all.. I was diagnosed with afib last year and right now am on toprol 25 mg. once a day which has helped with the racing heart issue some but still having the palpatiations. Had my visit to the cardio yesterday and he put me on Multaq twice a day. I asked about side effects and he said gastro discomfort maybe and dizziness.. just wondering if there are any others have experienced. I know we're all different but just want to know what to expect and also if the results have been positive for any of you. Thanks! :)

Halleyg,

I was on it for afib starting 2 weeks after surgery for 6 months. I'm not sure if I had side effects. My biggest complaint at that time was that I would need to take a hard crash and burn nap about 4 or 5 times a week. These naps were deep sleep and I couldn't avoid them. They may have been caused by the Multaq or maybe it was just part of my recovery, but I'm much better now regarding the naps.

I haven't had any afib probs since stopping the Multaq 6 weeks ago.

Hi Halley,

I know nothing about it, but I want to wish you positive results without any side effects. I would take it at night if it will cause any dizziness, unless your doctor instructs you differently.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Haley, I was on Multaq for a while. It did do it's job and stopped my rhythm issues (although this didn't happen over night, if I remember correctly, it took more than a couple of weeks for this to happen). However, I did have side effects that made me stop taking it. Unfortunately, it's probably been a year now, and I've been through so many meds that I can't remember what the problem was specifically was with Multaq. Hopefully you'll be able to tolerate it well and it will solve your problems too.

Kim

I know nothing about Multaq. I have an arrhythmia (atrial flutter) and I am currently reading on nutrition and there is lots of scientific research that strongly indicates magnesium and cod liver oil can reduce arrhythmias including a-fib. The book I am currently reading is "Is your cardiologist killing you" by Sherry Rogers. I just started reading it and its an eye opener as to the side effects of the drugs and the research and studies about supplements that are being ignored.

Best of luck in your health
have fun
Herb

Haley, its kind of OT, but are you able to do Yoga or is your back still givng you problems? I was thinking of you when i read an article today about a small study on Yoga and AFib It looks like thats another heart thing yoga helps with
http://www.theheart.org/article/120...r&utm_medium=email&utm_source=20110403_ACC_en

New Orleans, LA - Taking a 45-minute yoga class three times a week was associated with a halving of episodes of atrial fibrillation (AF) in a new small study.

The study, presented today at the opening press conference of the American College of Cardiology 2011 Scientific Sessions, was conducted by a team led by Dr Dhanunjaya Lakkireddy (University of Kansas Hospital, Kansas City).

He said he started the study after a patient had reported a great improvement in her AF after having started practicing yoga. For the study, 49 patients with paroxysmal AF underwent a three-month control phase in which they could engage in any type of physical activity they were previously accustomed to doing. They then underwent a three-month study phase where they participated in a supervised yoga program consisting of breathing exercises, yoga postures, meditation, and relaxation. They were also encouraged to practice the exercises at home on a daily basis. All participants were new to the practice of yoga, and the program was designed to allow beginners to progress safely from basic movements to more advanced practice over the course of the study.

Results showed that during the yoga-intervention phase, the number of episodes of AF was significantly reduced—from a mean of 3.8 to 2.1. The number of phantom episodes was also reduced, from a mean of 2.6 to 1.4. In addition, 22% of patients did not have any AF episodes during the yoga phase

(more at link)

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies, gives me something to think about. I was wondering why one would stop taking Multaq? I don't want to be taking it forever, but I would think if you stopped then the symptoms would come back. It is nice to know that for whatever reason it is not a life-long drug! I wasn't too thrilled about adding to my pill box! Thanks Herb for the book info, will definitely look into that. Always interested in alternatives, especially if not involving an Rx.

Lyn, I still do yoga, take classes 3x/week and some on my own, have been since my last OHS. My classes are 60-90 min. I guess then if I didn't do it, my symptoms would be much worse according to the study! Thank you for that info, always interested in reading about the positive affects of yoga on health.

Hi, Halley!
I know who your cardiologist is (same as me). I developed afib 2 weeks after valve replacement and have been dealing with it ever since. I've tried several meds including Multaq. I took Multaq about 30 days, then cardiologist switched me to something else. Any meds I've been on so far have helped, but not 100%.
I asked the cardio about trying Mg supplements in conjunction with my current meds and he said give it a try. I'm taking 400 mg of chelated Mg daily, and I have to say this by far has given the most noticable improvement in reduced palpitations.

I had 5 days with minimial/no palpitations on the Mg. Then to test it out I stopped the Mg for 2 days. Palpitations returned on Day 3. Started back an Mg and palpitations are better again. It might be in my head, but I think the Mg really helps.

Something else to consider and ask Dr. S about.
I take 200mg at lunch and 200mg at dinner.

Last edited:
Have you tried SOTALOL (generic form of BetaPace)?

Several members have had good success controlling A-Fib with Sotalol and few / minor side-effects.

drivetopless: I forgot we both go to Dr. S! Is Mg magnesium? Thanks for sharing your experience. I go in tomorrow for an echo and see him again in about 5 weeks. I really know nothing about all this med business so it's helpful to hear what others are doing and options.

Al: I don't know anything about other meds so I appreciate the info. Will ask my dr. about it. So far the Multaq hasn't given me too much trouble, seems to upset my stomach some and maybe makes me tired; can't tell 100% since it hasn't been a week yet.

Everyone has different side effects from the medicines. They do tend to get better over time. I was on Sotalol and I felt really good, the best I have felt in over a year. I had forgotten what it felt like to feel really good. Unfortunately I had insomnia and other problems so I had to quit but many of my problems improved dramatically during the second and third weeks on the drug. If I could have slept better I might have been able to stay on it. I was also on Flecinade. It didn't work as well and gives me migraines. I went 10 days straight with horrible headaches and haven't had one since I quit taking it except the few times I have had to take it. I am very sensitive to medications so I am not a good example except to say that the side effects do frequently improve as your body adjusts. Good Luck

Back