push-ups, yoga, etc ...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrockTN

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm now 3 1/2 months post-surgery for my AVR ... I've been doing some light jogging, light weight lifting (w/ chest presses & flies). However, I'm looking to get back into my workout routine I was on before I got sick & had the surgery. It's an intense form of yoga called DDP Yoga ... combines yoga & calisthenics for a great workout.

In your experiences, how long did you wait/were you told to wait before doing push-ups & other exercises that put pressure on the chest (like yoga)?

Thanks!

Adrocktn,
I haven't had the surgery yet (still in the waiting room), but I am very impressed and happy, that you feel well enough to do all these fitness things, and then also want to go forward.

This gives me a great deal of hope when I have to face this surgery.

Well done.

I just checked out today from my surgery and was told no more than 10lbs for three weeks and gradually work up a few lbs a week after that to full workload in the 12th week

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I did DDP last summer until I couldn't take the high heartrate anymore. I seem yo remember a LOT of push-ups and shoulder work. If I were to go back to DDP (and I might) it probably won't be for several months (I'm 5 weeks post op now.) I'm finding that just driving to the store and back wears out my chest muscles. I can't even begin to imagine what a simple session of DDP would do!

Although they "cleared" me at 12 weeks, I didn't feel confident doing push-ups for about 6 months. I could do some, but the muscles were way too sore to do many reps. In fact, at 3 years, I'm still not back where I was. (Alright, I was just a bit crazy - used to do 150 push-ups before work in AM. Now, only 50-60.)

I'm sure age and other medical conditions play a role here. I have had serious back issues in the last year, so I've had to dial it back a bit for that. If you're younger than me (I'm 66), and otherwise healthy, let your body be your guide. After the standard 12 weeks, try it and see how it feels. Then gradually work your way back to whatever routine you want to follow. Heart surgery is not a reason to ignore fitness.

Adrocktn,
I haven't had the surgery yet (still in the waiting room), but I am very impressed and happy, that you feel well enough to do all these fitness things, and then also want to go forward.

This gives me a great deal of hope when I have to face this surgery.

Well done.

thanks for the feedback everyone!

Thank you very much mbeard ... when you have the surgery, you'll have the same desire to get back to your old self. Just looking at your profile pic, you have all the motivation in the world to get back to being better that before (I have an 8-year old & 5-year old).

I tried doing 5 push-ups on my knees & it didn't feel good at all ... I'm certain that 99% of it is a.) nerves, b.) just being not as strong & c.) more nerves ... I'm really looking forward to getting back to doing the DDP Yoga ... I'm 39 & it helped me get into the best shape of my life before getting sick & the surgery ... plus, I've gotten a couple of tweets/messages from the man himself wishing me well & offering words of encouragement.

I was 37 when I had my op and at 3 months I would combine vertical push-ups with my walk. So I'd lean against a wall (facing it) and do some push ups (sets of 10), over time ( a month ) I increased the angle then moved onto knealing before full blown push ups around 6 months. I listened to my body, no hurry. Now 18 months on, I'm doing yoga, 50 -100 push ups a day and swimming 8 kms a week. Fitter than before :) good luck.

I'd say that you start light with off the wall pushups, then step away from the wall and create a bit of incline, then off of high steps to your 2nd floor, then lower steps, then knees, then pushups. At 12-16 weeks your body is ready. Take the routine above and over 2-3 weeks you will get to that floor pushup you covet so much. ;)

Most importantly feel confident, take it slow, and know that some things are scarier than they are.

I started with pushups against the wall, later on my knees. The real pushups still feel a bit strange after 4.5 months. But I think that's more a psychological than a physical issue.

My simple rule for training: If it doesn't hurt, it's good for you! And: Little bit of pain doesn't hurt ;)

Last edited:
Oh thanks for the reminder of wall push ups!
I also want to return to my fun and crazy power flo yoga.
I am going to start with Pilates however, (designed for the bed ridden patient's recovery)
I think plank position will be helpful and very small cobra yoga positions too.
It is really scary to go back to the gym, I have an awareness now that all my struggles where heart related.
I found out about my heart at 52 on the path to having a hip tear repair .. So it still freaking hurts! :p
I am in cardio rehab . It is really making me sad not to be able to hop, skip and jump even if I am
So glad I am not dead at 53. My aortic valve /stem replacements where 12/13/13. I am slow to recover I guess.

Latest posts

Back