PTSD after second AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elcarim

Has anyone else suffered from psychological issues after their OHS? I had my 2nd AVR in October 2005 and I was recently diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
I thought I was dying, but it turned out to be panic attacks. I still get them but at least now I know what they are.
I had a porcine valve put in in 2000 when I was 22yo, this allowed me to have my two children without any complications. But when my younger son was only 8 weeks old I went for my 5year follow-up and was told that the valve was failing. It was a huge shock as the porcine valve only lasted 5 years. I had a St Jude mechanical valve put in 6 weeks later. I also had pacing node damage during the second operation and had to have a pacemaker implanted. This was another huge shock. Recovery was quite hard, since I had a cesarean delivery, minimal sleep for weeks living with a newborn, and then the OHS on top of it.

I was fine for ages, but earlier this year I started having what turned out to be panic attacks. We think that the trigger was when my favourite pony badly injured himself at Easter, leaving me unable to ride for the past few months.
My health care providers are not surprised that I am now having trouble coping after all I have been through. I have been seeing a psychologist and each session has me in tears from discussing things that have been worrying me for so long.

I have decided that I will be careful, but I will not be afraid any more. Things happen whether you worry about them or not. And worrying just takes the joy out of life.

There I go, tears again. I am glad I found this forum as it will be so good to discuss these things with people who have had similar experiences.

Welcome to our second home.

Many of us have suffered emotional issues after OHS. It is very common. Given your circumstances, I would think you odd if you did not have problems.

It sounds like you are taking the correct methods to deal with things. I have panic attacks still and I am 27 years from my first surgery and 13 from my last. I don't bring this up to frighten but to let you know that panic attacks are controllable and do get less frequent and less strong.

Please let us know how we can help.

Welcome!

You had a lot going on in the span of 5 or 6 years. Some good, the birth of your children, and the very stressful, 2 valve surgeries. Couple that with all the physical and mental stresses that just come with being a parent (let alone a parent who worries about how their heart issues are going to impact the family - been there, done that!) and it's no wonder you are having some PTSD now. The human body is an amazing thing. It held up to get you through all the tough stuff and when you are over the mountain and your body has recuperated, all the other "stuff" decides to surface that your body and mind were able to keep suppressed while you needed to take care of things.

You are doing exactly the right thing by seeing someone about it.

Both of my surgeries were total nightmares. I coded sometime before/during surgery and the second time, I not only got a major overhaul on the insides, but a hospital staph infection too that nearly killed me. I do have flashbacks of those times, which is why I try to make people understand that this is not something to do over and over. Once is enough.

I've had 2 panic attacks since 2002 and I do not like them. They seem to just come out of the blue with no trigger.

RCB said:
I am surprised your doctors didn't treat you for this problem:
http://www.camh.net/About_Addiction...rmation/Postpartum_Depression/ppd_ci_ppd.html

Many doctors tend to overlook this, but it can be very serious. Given all
you have been through, I hope you are doing better.:)

I was thinking that too.I went thru that after Justin was born, well months later when we were home and finally had time to breath. It was tough, BUT luckily very treatable.
I can only imagine with everything you've been thru in the past 5 or so years,how you must feel. I am glad you found outwhat is going on so they canhelp you feel better and really enjoy your little ones
Lyn

Hi Elcarim, firstly i would like to welcome you to this great site you will soon realize how wonderful and helpful all the people here are. My daughter started getting panic attacks when she was 14 we were told she had asthma (which I knew it wasn't) and after going to about 5 doctors one finally made the correct diagnosis. Once we knew what it was it became less frightening for all of us and she was able to breath through them knowing that she wasn't going to die. Fast forward ten years she still gets the occasional panic attack but they are nowhere near as bad. I'm glad your seeing a doctor and I'm sure you will be feeling better soon ....Mary

Hi Elcarim, I just wanted to welcome you to this wonderful site and also let you know you are not alone when it comes to dealing with panic attacks. Iv had them at different times through my life, but you can learn to deal with them and they will become less frequent and less severe as you gain control over them. Best Wishes.

I'm glad I found you guys too :)

It is odd, when you are preparing for surgery and first learning about your condition you are expected to understand what is going on and how it will affect you down the track. Then afterwards, with the bypass and the drugs, half of the information is not retained anyway. So I found myself nearly 2 years down the track not really knowing much about my condition.

I believe that knowledge is power. I have spent the last two days researching Warfarin and likely outcomes for patients with mechanical valves. I realised that a lot of my fear came from not knowing about my condition. I have read studies and looked at the numbers. I now have a better idea of what I am dealing with. Of what I need to do to make sure I give myself the best chance of a long and happy life. Of what the real risks are and what I can do about them. That research is what led me to this site and to all of you.

I agree with all that has been said above. You have been through a lot AND you have little children to take care of and worry about. I also have had a few panic attacks, but once I figured out what they were, they got less frequent and less severe. I find that doing a lot of research helps me maintain my "illusion of control".

I'm glad you found this forum. I couldn't have made it through my son's surgeries without these wonderful people.

Feel free to vent/dump anytime!

Latest posts

Back