ProTime Home Testing Unit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zipper

Hi Lance, Woody, Brian...

Got my ProTime unit today...The nurse called..we're set for phone training for tomorrow...so kewl...especially since today my labs came back 2.04. Wow...just goes to show ya...a one month check..even when it's been consistant..as mine has...is not sufficient. I could have 'clotted out' (is that an expression? lol) That's way too low for mechanical valve.

I've been trying to lower cholesterol thru diet..I'm sure it's had an effect. I've also had to take pain pills (off on workman's comp due to lousy ergonomics..I work in a hospital..LOL!) sooooooo...I'm thrilled to have home testing..(hope I can do it properly). Brace yourself for 1000 questions..lol! I'll battle the insurance co and try for some re-imbursement. Thanks for all your help!

How cute...when I call..I say it's "Zipper"..LOLFOF....I'll be in touch...I'll share the 'good' 'bad' and 'ugly'..lol....if need be..

Thanks...You have been terrific!!!

Zipper/Joan

Thanks

Thanks

Hi !

Went thru the phone training tonight..What a lovely, helpful person I spoke with.!!! (name...Faith)

My comparison with my Labs yesterday..2.04...yikes..scary! showed 2.2 today on ProTime...I will test again in a couple of days to see if it has risen..If not ...LOL..I'll panic!!! LOL!

This is a wonderful tool..worth any price. The 'finger prick'...NO biggie..for sure.

More to come....blow by blow..LOL!

Zipper

If you posted the numbers right, then your difference is .16 this is less than two tenths difference, almost exact, you don't need to worry till it is more than 1.5 different. Please keep us informed. Thank you

Success

Success

Hi!

Sucessfully completed a home test!! ALL by myself..lol. Did one and got a 'bubble' error....quickly knew why, repeated it and al went well. As I had taken an extra 2.5 coumadin on Sunday..as expected my level rose to a more comfortable 3.3 from 2.2 or 2.4.

This is great...I can now test before and after dentist and antibiotics. I'll be an expert soon..grin...

Thanks again!!!

Zipper/Joan

Nice pic!

Nice pic!

Zipper, it looks like Billy got to you! Nice Avatar picture.

What great timing to be reading these posts about the Protime system. I have just started step one to acquire my own! Sending the application/prescription request to my Cardiologist today. Zipper, by the time my newbie stories hit the forum, you'll be an expert.

Question #1. That extra 2.5. Did you decide on your own to up the dose or did it come from your doc?

QA Services is great and the downloadable PDF forms are terrific. It will be interesting to see how they do with my insurance carrier, but I don't care as I will purchase it outright if I have to!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Perry , if you just send us the patient information sheet we will contact your Dr. to get the rest of paperwork signed. Some people like it this way , others like to be the ones who present it to their physicians.

Thanks Perry and Ann...Yes! Billy has a way with words!

Perry, To answer your question...the 2.5 increase for the one day was ordered by my Doc. I had been altering my diet to lower cholesterol and didn't realize I was overdoing the Soy products since they were new to me. I 'get' it now..lol..lots of Vit K in soy products!

I purchased the unit and will fight with my insurance company later. QAS is GREAT! The nurse trainer does it all on the phone and was so very nice and very clear. They're available if ANY problems arise. They even called to see if I needed any additonal help. I'm glad you're going for it. You'll love it..I do and I'm still a novice! Just knowing I can test at any time offers a certain amount of security if I knowingly be 'bad' and veer off the routine a bit.

Best of luck to you, Perry!!!

Zip

Pro Time Testing unit

Pro Time Testing unit

I am now 7 weeks, 2 days post surgery..Live in the Mountains of North Georgia...Nearest quick INR testing would be an hour for me..every Monday..so I drive to a nearby clinic early (hubby is not a morning person)..they draw blood, someone from hospital picks it up..hospital checks it..Card's office is suppose to call me.but I wait by phone and usually have to call them around 4:30 p.m. to see if they had my INR..Oh yes, Mrs. Anderson and I have to ask them what the number was..I don't think they would call me......My number was 2.8 yesterday and I talked her into letting me have 2 weeks before another check....so my point..waiting for my home testing unit..called the 800 number 2 days ago, very nice person found my form(by the way they take all info over the phone too) my doctor had mailed back info but they sent some more questions back to him..told me my insurance carrier (Unitedhealth) was good to help with cost...Long post but wanted to show reason why I want the home tester..plus we travel in motorhome..giving myself another few months before we take a long trip..

So far INR testing hasn't been too terrible a hassle for my husband; however, he did undergo a Pericardial Window procedure (13 days hospitalization) 2 months after his AVR. Their guess is that the blood got too thin and caused blood to collect in the pericardium. Who knows? Of course he was taken off coumadin a few days before & after the surgery, but he's now back up to 7.5 mg M-W-F and 5 mg all other days. His INR got as low as 1.33 when he came home from hospital and in a week was up to 1.93. They didn't give the number last time, but increased the dosage to that given above.

Question: What does this unit cost? Do you approach the cardiologist about it first? Does Medicare cover it?

Ask Woody

Ask Woody

Hey Celia,

See post above from Woody at QA Services. He has an 800 number and will help with all your questions.

Regards,

Last edited:
Hey Zipper

Hey Zipper

Tell me some more about your cholesterol battle and use of Soy products.

I've been doing Red Yeast Rice for almost a year now. After the first 6-months of use my total cholesterol dropped 40 points! I test again this July to see where I've gone after a full year on the stuff.

BTW, RYR is becoming increasingly difficult to get. I buy extra stock when I can. My caring doc actually "prescribed" RYR for me and said I could use it instead of a statin drug (which I hate the thought of purchasing/taking). I was actually getting it with my other prescriptions from Walgreens, but they recently dropped it. Health food stores still carry it, but I have a feeling their supply is diminishing.

I think it has something to do with large drug companies' objection to a cheap, natural solution to cholesterol. They are fighting over a patent of a natural plant! Hmmm, maybe I could be like Billy and go to Congress or court to testify how the stuff has worked for me?!

In addition, I've been supplementing with 25mg of Soy Protein daily. My wife makes killer smoothies! Once in awhile, I have a Soy snack bar (one has to get used to the cardboard taste at first) once or twice a week.

I'm not sure how much Vit K is in Soy and I don't think it is detrimental to my INR's as I take it "consistently." As we Coumadiner's know, consistency is the key.

Thanks.

Regards,

Last edited:
Consistancy!

Consistancy!

Hi Perry,

My increase in soy products resulted from a high cholesterol reading after the months of holiday indulging, and NOT getting back to better choices. Just kept eating 'tasty' chocolates and goodies...um...being bad, in other words!

So I freaked..lol..and went to the other extreme! Yes..I do know better..but my brain was in a coma of sorts..lol! I didn't even think that soy products would change anything, except help my cholesterol lower in time. I also started eating lots more fish (salmon/tuna/halibut) to raise my HDL.

Well, all of the above is smart eating..IF one uses their Brain..lol...and does not make drastic changes all at once!!!! I haven't had my cholesterol re-checked yet..but I have returned to moderation and consistancy so I don't throw my INR sense and level into outer space...grin.

It sounds like you have done it the right way, as I agree, avoiding cholesterol lowering meds is important if it can be done in a more natural way!!! I'll keep at it, and will be anxious to see if I'm making progress. I'll have to wait for a re-check tho..as we know..there's no 'quick-fix'!!!

You keep up the good work and Bless your wife for making it 'tasty' for you!!!

Thanks for asking, Perry. Having the home testing is really the way to go for confidence on a constant level. I plan to take my unit with me to the Lab next time and see if there is any variation. I go to my Lab at work and our tech is interested also, since they still do the blood draw from my poor veins..lol!!!

I'll keep ya posted on future results...

Zipper

Aced!

Aced!

Hi,

Just an update as promised..blow by blow..LOL.

Used the ProTime again today...absolutely NO problems! My nurse trainer 'Faith' called again to see if I was doing OK. Also support services called to make sure I didn't have questions. What GREAT people. Rare to receive such service these days!!!!

QAS...Your service is excellent!!!!! Attentive/Caring/Personable/ and Professional. I can't praise your company and staff enough! You'll get sick of hearing it...LOL!

You'll LOVE it, Perry!!!!

Zipper

ProTime update

ProTime update

Well...Nothing but an A+ for the unit..ease of use..and QAS....So true, Hank...absolutely the best of service from them!

I'm not having any problems, and feel so much confidence knowing I can test often. I'm going to bring it into my hospital Lab where I work next week, as they really are interested in it.

Do you have any idea if they can use the blood from the draw to put in the cup and do a comparison that way, or do I still need to do a separate finger stick ???? I would imagine it would work from the draw..not sure tho.

Thanks Hank and QAS..

BTW: In my signature...Kewl=cool in California talk..LOL..someone asked in a private message..sooo in case anyone else was puzzled...My surfers son's get me talkin' like them..LOL!

Zipper

Blood is Blood

Blood is Blood

As far as I know - Blood is blood. If you put the same sample in two different machines it should give you an accurate comparison.

Blood is blood

Blood is blood

Hi Hank:

Does this mean that I would be able to take a blood sample from anywhere on my body? As a guitar player, I could run out of fingers pretty quick (kinda like BB King).

Fingerstick testing and guitar playing

Fingerstick testing and guitar playing

Hello,

I read your post, and I think that we could find a finger or a part of your finger that you are not using while playing the guitar. Maybe you could use your right ring finger. Do you use a pick when you play? You probably only us two fingers on the hand that hold the pick. Let me know what you think, and thanks for your post.

Lance

Latest posts

Back