Probiotics and heart valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrienne

How many of you take probiotics? Do you either have a mechanical valve or have had endocarditis?

The reason I am asking is that I often listen to a health program in the morning where doctors from the city are interviewed on various health matters. There is a microbiologist who was being asked the other day about probiotics. At the end he said that there seemed to be no danger in taking them except possibly in certain cases where people have metal prosthetics that the probiotics can latch onto.

I mentioned the fact that I had had a mitral valve repair and had a synthetic ring around it, but that I figured my own cells probably covered it now. I also mentioned that I had dental implants made of titanium.

Today the same doctor came back speaking more about probiotics because they had gotten more mail than they had ever gotten before!!! I couldn’t believe it, considering all this mail they got, but they mentioned a part of my question (along with two other questions). The woman who moderates and interviews mentioned among two other particular questions that there was someone who had had a mitral valve repair with a synthetic ring! The thing is that he answered it after speaking about the two other cases, and he just presumed, I think, that it was a replacement. He said that people with valve replacements (I believe he was speaking about mechanical) should be careful because of endocarditis. I’ve always wondered about “good bacteria” causing endocarditis. Now, although I do not have replacement, I have had endocarditis, so I probably have lesions that bacteria can latch onto. So, now I don’t know what I should do about taking probiotics. I’ve shown the supplements I take to my cardiologist, and he never said anything. For that matter, I think I even asked one of the doctors who treated me when I had endocarditis if I can take probiotics, and he said yes.

So, what do all of you think and what do all of you do?

Adrienne,
Glad you posted this since I never heard of a possible interaction.
I will be watching for the feedback we get.
I have used a probiotic on two different occasions due to some digestive issues.
It was called Align. However now I simply eat a small yogurt everyday which contains a probiotic and everything 'works' just fine.
Rich

While I can't answer your question, I can say that I eat yogurt every day. I've never heard of "good" bacteria causing endocarditis. I'm sure my cardio would have menioned it.

Mechanical Valve. I take Ultra Probiotic Complex 25, you can buy it at GNC or online. I like this one, my digestive system is in tune, and no negative effects on my INR, don't know if it would effect it or not. I had tried Align, my husband uses it at the direction of his gastroenterologist. I didn't see as much improvement as I have had with the Ultra.

I'm not a big yogurt lover, in the past I would get on the bandwagon and stock up, only to waste it as I didn't eat it every day. Dairy causes me issues too.

I really like yogurt and make Greek yogurt at home fairly often. I had just ordered a new culture with more probiotics about a week ago. Now I'm starting to have second thoughts! Thought endocarditis was caused mainly by strep or staph? I had it 20 years ago and really don't want to have it again.

dont know the answer to this, but you already have TONS of good bacteria in your gut anyways, probably even the ones we take as "probiotics" to supplement I'd think if you could have gotten endocarditis from them, we'd all have had it by now ;) I used to drink kefir alot, not as much now, but plenty of yogurt off and on, I think this stuff stays strictly in your digestive system....if not, we'd probably know it by now...

This is very interesting and should be followed up on. It sounds important to me. There are alot of us on here who do eat yogurt even if we don't take probiotics. And I had been considering it. I was going to ask the dr. first though.

I would eat more yogurt than I do but know that it caused vitamin K production in the stomach or some such thing. I know I am not saying it exact. Someone else could probably expand on this.

interesting but the way things are going we wont be able to eat anything, maybe we are getting to anxious about our eating habits, what next ? water is bad for you?

dont know the answer to this, but you already have TONS of good bacteria in your gut anyways, probably even the ones we take as "probiotics" to supplement I'd think if you could have gotten endocarditis from them, we'd all have had it by now ;) I used to drink kefir alot, not as much now, but plenty of yogurt off and on, I think this stuff stays strictly in your digestive system....if not, we'd probably know it by now...

This is what I would have thought too. However, the doctor speaking is a microbiologist. I just don't know now. Another thing to worry about!

In the first link, the man in question took several yogurts a day after dental extraction. Maybe the fact that there was an open wound into which the bacteria could enter and get into the bloodstream made it easier to get endocarditis. I wonder what would have happened had he been swalling capsules. Am I just trying to convince myself????!!!!

Apparently regular store bought yogurts don't have an excess of probiotics but they do help some people with mild digestive issues.
Eating the fresh yogurts with gazillions of boosted probiotics might be something to be cautious about and discuss with your doc.
And swallowing the mega capsules might be best left to those with really messed up digestive systems and healthy hearts... ??
Interesting discussion.

Adrienne, I wondered the same thing when I read about the dental extraction.
Bina, yes, store-bought yogurt tends to be lacking in live yogurt cultures, and usually only has 2 or 3 live cultures, while probiotics usually have 5.

My concern is I make yogurt at home and use the EasiYo powdered milk and starter (comes from New Zealand and it's an incredibly easy easy way to make the thick Greek yogurt at home); one of their main claims is that a spoonful of EasiYo yogurt has billions of live cultures per spoonful, rather than millions that you'd get in a store-bought yogurt.

With years of nursing behind me, I can only imagine these cases are extremely rare. As someone previously stated our guts are full of bacteria to begin with, the only way any of these bacteria could become a problem would be if they entered the blood stream or if there are some immune system issues. I know I am not giving up my yogurt.

Almost 3 years ago I have had Endocarditis and as a consequence an aortic valve replacement. I remember those "gallons" of injected antibiotics to my body but I also remember that small pill that I had to take in order to re-cultivate the "good" bacteria in my guts. I also still remember my surgeon's advise to eat that strong greek "original" village yogurt for the same reason. I do not know if this information helps but I can say that my Endocarditis at that time was so strong that it is really a miracle that I am alive today.

I have to add a comment regarding good bacteria in our systems.
Yes most people have a lot of it but as my gastro dr. told me, as we age some people tend to lose the good bacteria in their system. That's when digestive problems tend to begin. It did with me and a few others I know including one of our members. Taking a probiotic cured the problem, and then I switched to simple yogurt every day. Due to that 'things' have been working quite well. I also wonder if some meds may kill off the good bacteria along with the bad, and/or have an effect on the immune system.
Rich

Thanks for the replies. I plan to keep taking my probiotics unless my cardiologist (whom I won't see until the end of the year) convinces me not to (I will bring up the subject at that time).

hi adrienne,
several years ago i developed a severe sinus infection for which my ent (at the time) prescribed a very strong antibiotic. within a day i developed severe diarrhea (despite still being hungry) and lost about 10 lbs in one week. i stopped the antibiotic and went to my internist who tested me and told me i had c. difficile and gave me special antibiotics for that.
it appears that our intestines have both good and bad bacteria. the initial antibiotic i took was so strong it killed all the good bacteria, leaving the bad bacteria in charge, hence the diarrhea.
it took me about a year to get rid of this.
yogurt , according to my gastro doc who cured me, won't help me. i try not to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. then i take them only along with strong doses of probiotics (saccharomyces boulardi).
so far, so good.
i imagine an upset of balance in the intestines where the bad bacteria rules, might be what triggers this all?
it's a very delicate balance from what i've been told.
hope you are ok. stay well,
sylvia

Latest posts

Back